Ed Cetera @ 10/5/2017 09:38 commented on Not so clean

You're welcome.

Ed Cetera @ 10/3/2017 15:43 commented on Not so clean

Rofl! I thought this was so funny. Good job! You've got a vote from me for this week's challenge, Eretzoum.

I give it three laughing Eds out of five!

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 10/2/2017 04:32 commented on Ed from Ed, Edd, n' Eddy

Thanks, Quake!

Ed Cetera @ 10/2/2017 04:29 commented on Wooly Willy

Ah, Quake, I don't know who "Beano" is, but thanks for the best wishes. It looks like there was a lot of well done pieces for this week's challenge.

Ed Cetera @ 10/2/2017 04:27 commented on Wooly Willy

Thank you for your feedback, WreX.

Ed Cetera @ 10/1/2017 04:50 commented on Metroid v2

Yup, I'd say so. I may have to someday.

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 17:13 commented on Truck

Ooooooo, make it transform! I like it.

I give it three Autobots out of five.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:55 commented on NZ-666 Kshatriya

That's an amazing ability to effectively illustrate to the viewer what it is with such a small scale. Amazing!

I give it five beam sabers out of five.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:52 commented on Death/Grim Reaper

Simple, clean, and well done.

I give it two sharpened scythes out five!

Drop by my gallery anytime and be as brutally HONEST as possible if you want.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:47 commented on My profil photo

Neat! Good job, nihaakey. You should enter in this week's weekly challenge. Check your height and width limitations though (this week its 200px X 100px) along with the other rules.

I give it three bionic eyes out of five.
Drop by my gallery anytime and be as brutally HONEST as possible if you want.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:42 commented on Animated Self Portait

Cute! I like the animation. It came out good to me. I think it may look better (especially the hair) with some highlights, because I think it looks better with the shadows that you have in the non-detail image, i.e. the image seen when browsing the gallery. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I give it two cat toupees out of five. Drop by my gallery anytime and be as brutally HONEST as possible if you want.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:36 commented on Avatar creature

Hello, WreX,

I'm going to be honest, this isn't my favorite of your work, and I really like a great deal of you work (just so happens that this piece had to be in the top five of the public queue that I decided to comment on). I suppose it just doesn't suit my taste, but I do like the glowing eyes. That was done well. I'm not sure how fix the mouth. Perhaps not making it so wide on the left side.

I give it one and a half glowing eyes out of five (psst. I round up), but I do encourage you to slap a beard on it and put it in this week's challenge. Drop by my gallery anytime and be as brutally HONEST as possible if you want.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/30/2017 07:29 commented on Metroid v2

Not at all familiar with Metroid but for the times I played as Samus in Super Smash Bros., and the fact that I know she's a woman.

To me, this looks like an interesting gelatinous alien with an inner network of alien tissue.

I give it two short, stubby, slimy alien tenticles out of five.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/29/2017 04:37 commented on Benkei attacks

I second, ParkerBabyDiaperCompany. J�o, I love samurai, and this is a great piece.

Ed Cetera @ 9/29/2017 04:30 commented on MrB - all sides

You're welcome. I can see that my idea wouldn't make sense as it could be too drastic of a change. I think the goggles would definitely work, but I'd hate for you to add another unintended, considerable element jut for that purpose. Perhaps a subtle "bow" consisting of just a single pixel is all that's necessary to show the hat's rotation, and I'd just try playing with that little lighting variation you added to the hat just to see if that would work. I know it wouldn't make sense in terms of lighting physics, it may look fine in the animiaton and get the point accross. I'm not sure.

Inspirational/example material? Well, I had saved this an example I used for the last weekly challenge that I participated in. His style in this piece is similar to yours and has a lot of color variation when you enlarge the piece. If I find anymore relevant examples, I'll try and remember to share them with you. Link: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/106604.htm

Ed Cetera @ 9/28/2017 05:14 commented on MrB - all sides

What I like:

• Well defined eyes
  • Hair texture

Considerations/Needs Improvment:

• A more complex use of other colors or your current color pallette
  • During rotation, his hat is stationary. I think he's wearing a top hat, but if you wanted to give it a bit of varition you might consider maybe narrowing it on the profile frames.

I critique at the risk of being very wrong, because I think this community could use some more constructive criticism.

I give this piece two spit shined shoes out of five, hey a full pair!

-Ed, the unqualified rater (Veterans please call me out on any BS advice.)

Ed Cetera @ 9/28/2017 04:59 commented on Fisherman Islander

Overall, I like it.

Pros: The fish, the fish animation ,the pole, the fishing line, the tunic, the fisherman's pose and his dimensions and you added some shadows. To be honest, the fish animation made me chuckle when I saw it. I don't know why, it's not really "funny", but I guess it's "cute".

Needs Improvement: Still looks a bit flat (perhaps more shadows). I reall wish I knew what to tell you here, but because I'm not an adept pixel artist myself I do not really know. The beard had some good color variation, but the hair on the top of his head was lacking. I don't know if the nipples are necessary. They don't really come through at intial scale, and on zoom in, they look out of place.

Consideration: When you're in your pixeling process do you ask yourself things like "What would he look like if I didn't put a mouth?" and check what it would like at the scale you intend for viewers to see it? I'm not saying you need to remove it or anything, but it's something that helps me, because sometimes I realize that I don't really need something or I don't really need to make something so obvious as it still comes across (perhaps better) at the intended scale. I hope that makes sense.

I'd say you improved over you're first Islander, but I'll still give it...

Two fish out of five!

Jesus may have fed the 5000 on two fish, but I think you can turn two fish into five... in time. I hope this helps.

-Ed

Ed Cetera @ 9/25/2017 07:11 commented on Tiny Warchief Swan

Wow, thanks, Mandrill! That's very encouraging!

Ed Cetera @ 9/25/2017 07:10 commented on Islander

I did see it. I liked it. I'm keeping your message as a reminder to get some more detailed feedback when I have more time.

Ed Cetera @ 9/21/2017 06:41 commented on Islander

Don't understimate the power of procrastination. /sarc ; ) I do feel bad that you're stuck with me giving you advice rather than the old pros who should really be doing it. I think they could help a lot better and more.

You're welcome.

Ed Cetera @ 9/20/2017 13:03 commented on Boss/Mid Boss - From Defender of Ekron Mini Game

You're welcome.

Ed Cetera @ 9/19/2017 22:13 commented on Extraterrestrial quarry

I wouldn't have known what this was if I didn't read the title. The cavern color looks too close to the surrounding color. The eleveator platform looks like its levitating and not really on a track, but maybe that's because its an aliean one. I'm also confused about what the blue and yellow stuff is at the bottom of the cavern, ore, aliean alligator creature? Idk. There looks to be circuitry paths underneath the building on the lower cliff; it looks out of place. I know its an alien quarry, but clashes too much, I guess at least for my tastes. Maybe try looking at some source material including mining schmatics (if they exist), that is not strictly photographs. I really like the idea.

I give this one alien ore vein out of five. Keep it up, Doujan. I wouldn't mind getting feedback on my stuff.

Ed Cetera @ 9/19/2017 22:02 commented on Islander

Hi, greyjan,

(Disclaimer, I'm not very talented nor a veteran at art much less pixel art.)

This pixel art reminds me of the educational games I used to play on the pc when I was in early gradeschool, circa 1998. Don't misunderstand, that's not a dig at your art here. I say that, because I'm not sure what the goal of your artwork is here. Personally, that kind of very simple pixel artwork is not the most appealing to me (later console and arcade pixel art is much more appealing), but I could definitely see someone making a nostalgic game for instance with this kind of artwork.

If your goal to make more detailed and elegant pixel artwork, I give you the following feedback:

Your artwork looks very "flat". Shades of your colors are very important to address this. For instance, I see you did this on a couple of pixels on the edges of her breasts, but if you wanted to give your Islander more well-defined breasts, you'd might try giving some darker shades to indicate that curvature for her chest. It would help them standout, same for the neck area under the chin, and other areas (low lights in hair, etc.).

I forgot for a second that this was a suriving islander and thought she was wearing formal closed-toed shoes that had the pixels shaded the wrong color on the tips, but now I think (at least it would make more sense) that she's wearing sandals or ragged shoes. It's not clear that's what are. From what I've noticed about pixel art, espeically the more restrictive, smaller canvases you have to either get really creative about how to convey things, or let the restrictions drive the content, like perhaps going with barefeet. Again, this could be due to my lack of experience.

When you're drawing your pixel art, make sure to keep an eye on the size you actually intend to show it at either in realtime or check it often by resizing. This really helps you gain perspective and differing uses of thickness and color come across differently at the different sizes. For example, in this piece the eyes really come out in a zoomed in view, but really seem to fade at the initial resolution. Also, the inverse is true. Undefined "eyes" in the large version can really pop when scaled down to the intended viewing size. The same is true for just about anything (not just eyes) in pixel art, I have found. It's really quite amazing. I'd study how other artists address their characters' eyes. I think you'll pick up what I'm talking about pretty quickly.

dyanmic poses = more interest.

Somewhere on this website you'll find a rule saying the background has to have a purpose for the art piece, you just have a dark purple for this one. Now, for this one, I might break with what PixelJoint suggests as the dark puple does provide some contrast to your piece, but its just too close to the hair color at the smallest resolution and case could be made for the pants as well. Right now, I just use a transparent background for mine. A simple beach scene could provide some interest for this one though. I know, you're starting off small to focus on the character first before the backdrop. I get it, I understand; it's just something to work toward. A backdrop could also provide context. I'm assuming her hair is blowing in the wind, but can't be sure. I don't see a band holding it up or anything.

The legs look like they may be a little too thick on the bottom.

Her "thigh gap" may be a little to wide.

I'd watch some pixel art tutorials in "Features" section.

Your avatar image (the blob) looks good and fun! Nice use of dithering.

Veteran pixel artists, if my advice is BS say "Shut up, Ed!"

Lastly, I give this piece two tiki totems out of five!

Ed Cetera @ 9/19/2017 21:05 commented on Guard

Man, I don't know what it is. I really like this one a lot. The border is a nice touch, makes me think I should do a border of my own on a future piece.

I give five shiny suits of armor out of five!

Ed Cetera @ 9/19/2017 20:54 commented on Skull Record

Oh, man, I like it. I like the colors used around the skull, kinda hypnotic. The cracks on the skull were a nice detail. I can't point to anything to improve upon or that was done poorly, then again I'm not a very talented artist nor am I well-experienced, so take that for what it's worth.

I give it four lifeless skulls out of five!