cthulhu @ 1/27/2018 18:23 commented on The Bridge

Thank you. I worked on this piece on and off for a few days when I had spare time, just to start doing pixel art again. I think I was going for a game mock-up when I started (thus the pre-zoomed view, it looks like crap at 1x scale). I began with a blue background, added a black "platform" with a green surface for for any characters to stand on. This became the the "bridge". I then added the mountains and cloud for background. When it came to characters, I started with a red block and stared at it a while. The cloaked figure came to me eventually. I then copied this figure and made it blue (altering the lighting to match the light source). Now that there were two of these mysterious figures, I figured maybe they were part of something bigger, so I added the large statue (building?) in the background that looked like them. Finally, I added the glass sphere onthe pedastal (save point?), and tweaked pixels here and there. The one thing that irked me after posting it was the left hump of the cloud where the thin highlight breaks for one pixel, but I left it as-is. Now that you've seen it, you can't un-see it. :)

cthulhu @ 1/26/2018 10:07 commented on Escapees

Wow, yes I think I played it on the NES. I googled for a video (link below). The level with the Cheerios (sorry, "Toppies") that outline the track? I need to track down a ROM for the Genesis version (for, um, research purposes). Very cool.

youtu.be/4zrM-kp_Dwo

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 18:33 commented on low-res battle pigeons

It's watching us, and it has a sword... No sudden movements...

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 18:24 commented on Frozen in Time

Got my vote! I like the low color-count and it captures the imagination. It looks like a point-and-click adventure game I'd want to play. Well done.

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 18:20 commented on Iced Drink

I clicked on this thinking it was for the latest drink challenge (Sizzurp?) You should've entered it for the ice challenge! The ice is lo-res, but reads well. Nicely done.

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 18:12 commented on Las Vegas Loop

This would be an awseome animated e-paper post card for Las Vegas. Well done!

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 18:06 commented on Street Scene

Nice! I can imagine some beat-em-up game characters walking through and butting heads with some baddies. I'd play that game!

cthulhu @ 1/25/2018 17:59 commented on Beer-quila Sunset

Thank you.

The pink elephant (which I take it is the "bizzare" element) was the first thing I pixeled for this piece for a repeating background. I was originally going to do a Rolling Rock beer can. The can got too complicated and didn't look good, so I went with a different direction, but still using the Rolling Rock can on a smaller scale (which I prefer).

cthulhu @ 1/24/2018 14:36 commented on Beer-quila Sunset

Thanks. Just high on pixels... Seeing "pink elephants" was slang for being drunk in the early 20th century (or any combination of color and animal, really, but pink elephants was most popular). Dumbo! That was the movie I remembered that scene from. I thought it might've been Fantasia (still Disney, at least I was close).

cthulhu @ 1/22/2018 08:21 commented on Escapees

Thank you. I've been using Microsoft Paint (Windows 10) and the default palette lately; partly out of laziness, and partly because I like the challenge of working with a limited palette. This is using that same default MS Paint palette.

cthulhu @ 1/21/2018 14:23 commented on The Sacrif-Ice

Thanks. I had fun making this, but when it came to doing the background, I was stumped, but I didn't want to leave it just plain black. Looks like I ended up with the cubes performing their little ritual on the set of Death Tower from Flashback.

cthulhu @ 1/21/2018 14:15 commented on Sunsset

Thank you. I had stopped at just the suns and landscape, then decided I needed something floating in the sky. I was going to go for something like the ship from Flight of the Navigator, but ended up keeping it simple... so, Phantasm meets Star Wars?

cthulhu @ 1/20/2018 03:51 commented on The Bridge

Thanks! It's just used the default colors in Microsoft Paint (Windows 10).

cthulhu @ 7/21/2015 19:05 commented on Random Dude

That's no random dude, that's John Oates! I dig it. Now do Daryl Hall.

cthulhu @ 5/2/2015 23:01 commented on Flyin' High

Thanks, D-jinn. I'm aware of AA, and to smooth out a piece is a design choice. Sometimes I just prefer to see the pixels in all their squared-off goodness. Adding AA to this, in my opinion, would make it look like vector art. I just felt more NES than Super NES at the time of creation.

cthulhu @ 4/28/2015 00:14 commented on Kups of Rage

Thanks! Updated the preview.

cthulhu @ 3/20/2015 20:17 commented on Art Trade 1

Manny Calavera! Need to play me some Grim Fandango now...

cthulhu @ 3/20/2015 20:13 commented on Why am i smilin tonight fellas? Just got my hands on that new good treat to sip known only as simply

Title aside, the image is a reference to Steven Universe. Awsome. Love it.

cthulhu @ 10/1/2014 19:03 commented on Vehicles!

Sweeeeet! Optimus Prime, bus from Speed, The Crystal Ship (Breaking Bad), The General Lee (Dukes of Hazzard), Doc Brown's DeLorean (before time travel upgrade), Mad Max, LTD? (Men in Black), and the Griswold's Vacation-mobile.

cthulhu @ 7/11/2013 21:35 commented on Just Tryin' to Tell a Vision

Thanks guys!

@ Phill - Your TV in your recent "PIXELS" piece was what inspired me to get off my butt and make some pixel art! I saw that and thought "Hey, I want to pixel a TV, too!" I just happened to have bought this old TV at Goodwill and decided to give it a go. Thanks!

cthulhu @ 5/12/2010 20:31 commented on Cthulhu head

That's my angry face.

cthulhu @ 9/15/2009 09:21 commented on IAN-1138

LOL. Igor needs to type slower, and I need to read slower. I totally missed that! I think I know he meant "Gordon" though...

cthulhu @ 9/14/2009 22:10 commented on IAN-1138

LOL! I guess I should've added a crowbar! Thanks. :)

cthulhu @ 9/13/2009 16:46 commented on character turnaround

LOL! Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" popped into my head when I saw this.

cthulhu @ 9/13/2009 13:02 commented on Death OR Dishonor

Ha! I had this same idea (bull's perspective and matador, sans underwear loss, though), but didn't run with it. Glad someone did it. Great job. :)