pixetrichor @ 9/19/2018 12:38 commented on Summer

Ah, thank you for the critique! I appreciate it!

I can see why the sky would need more work, as it doesn't blend with everything else very well. And I think I can see how the dunes might have a weird perspecitve. Thank you for pointing that out!

pixetrichor @ 9/12/2018 04:32 commented on Summer

Ouch. But I think you have a point. I had this feeling that some things just didn't blend that well, likely because of outlining. I'll look into it the next time I try doing something like this again, thank you.

pixetrichor @ 5/28/2018 08:40 commented on V3 Academy

@cpatten Ah, thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

pixetrichor @ 5/28/2018 08:39 commented on V3 Academy

@Pix.Ed. Ah, I see. Thank you for letting me know, I should probably do a tree study sometime.

pixetrichor @ 5/19/2018 13:39 commented on V3 Academy

Thank you, Lucas!

pixetrichor @ 5/19/2018 13:39 commented on V3 Academy

Hey Pix.Ed., thank you for the criticism! I agree with the lack of contrast in the color palette--when I was in the middle of drawing this, it was a bit difficult to make things readable with the palette I've been using. As for the tree trunks, I felt the same way. I should probably study those a little?
Oh, and just to be safe, is this specific trunk included in your critique?
Again, thank you for the criticism, I appreciate it greatly!

pixetrichor @ 5/17/2018 07:01 commented on City

One thing I noticed is that the color count is pretty high: it goes up to 144 colors. And though I don't think the piece involves any methods like blurring or gradients, I do believe it's possible for it to minimize its color count, which I believe might help unify the piece at least a little bit. For example, there are certain colors that can be merged together.

In this case, switching the color of smaller groups of pixels might actually make it harder to notice a difference within them, compared to doing the same with more united clusters--it's easier to cause a drastic change if you were to change the color of the sky, for example.

Then again, it's just my two cents on this. I still believe the piece is well done either way.

pixetrichor @ 5/16/2018 12:38 commented on Makis

The shape of the Makis is a bit strange. If they're meant to be circular, I think you need to smoothen the peaking points or such.

Since I can't explain myself properly, I'll just demonstrate it. The right version is the one I tweaked.

Otherwise, I believe the textures are well done! Keep going!

pixetrichor @ 5/12/2018 03:07 commented on Wub dub

Um...can you please bundle your sprites in one single submission? The way they are organised right now, they can really clog the gallery. Whether it's shortening everyone's time on the front page, or just delay their approval in general, I really believe you should at least bundle most of your works in one. And, by most, I mean there probably should be exceptions: one of those submissions is an avatar, and another is part of the weekly challenge, and I believe it might be unfair for you to sacrifice those just because they got mixed in with the rest. That's all, thank you.

pixetrichor @ 5/11/2018 22:03 commented on Mayan rainforest

It might be just me, but I feel like the shade of blue might stand out a little, or that it doesn't blend well with the rest of the piece (mainly the greens). Try to lower its saturation and maybe the same for the brightness, then go from there. But take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

As for the textures, I believe they're well done with how they ensure the piece doesn't feel flat or two-dimensional; Great job on that!

pixetrichor @ 5/9/2018 12:51 commented on Dude with shades

Some advice to help you start off: When setting your color palette, consider shifting the hue of each seperate color as they get darker or lighter. Usually to add a sense of temperature change and such. Here, have this thread to help out. http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139392#139392

However, I have to appreciate how you've blended the very colors together from top to bottom; Keep going!

pixetrichor @ 5/7/2018 01:51 commented on Koma (avatar)

A very minor thing I noticed, but about the flower on the left (or the hope fragments if it floats your boat), compared to the petals in between, the other two sets look like they're...blending in. Try making use of the color you used for anti-aliasing to separate them. Sorry if I was hard to follow.

Still, it was a minor thing. I believe everything else was actually done well! The palette, the outlining, the anti-aliasing and shading...keep up the good work!

pixetrichor @ 5/4/2018 10:51 commented on vaporwaves

It's pleasant to look at and it's done well for sure (I'm in love with the palmtrees, to be honest), but I noticed the color count is really high, and that the cause might be in the outline. Would it be a problem if you tried making said gradient out of less colors than they are now?

pixetrichor @ 5/4/2018 10:19 commented on RollingChair Morgana

Thank you, wonman; I'm glad you enjoyed my work!

pixetrichor @ 5/4/2018 10:09 commented on BoomBoomClassic

If it was from a game designer's perspective, I see why you'd do that intentionally. If you want to shift the viewer's focus to the bomb, it'd be logical to make it stand out like that. The same could apply for film too.

pixetrichor @ 5/2/2018 00:57 commented on BoomBoomClassic

I noticed the fuse of the bomb is skipping quite some distance when it's behind the main body and is no longer visible. I suggest you try giving it some time behind it as well. Sorry if I'm hard to follow.

As for the explosion...I got nothing. I believe it looks nice, good job with that!

pixetrichor @ 5/1/2018 02:25 commented on RollingChair Morgana

Thanks!

pixetrichor @ 5/1/2018 02:24 commented on Hit- DBS

Not sure if this is to apply to this specific piece, but I believe you should try hue shifting your color ramps (usually toward the yellows as a shade gets brighter), and see how it goes.

Though I believe the lineart is done well! Keep going!

pixetrichor @ 4/30/2018 03:54 commented on RollingChair Morgana

Ah, thank you, LCSkeleton!

pixetrichor @ 4/30/2018 03:53 commented on RollingChair Morgana

I'm glad you liked it, Zephyrrite!

pixetrichor @ 4/30/2018 03:49 commented on Beach

I've noticed the brighter shade of the sands (same color as the sun) might stand out when it's between the sea and its darker shade. Could be just me, though.

Still, everything's shaded greatly and the colors are pleasing to look at!

pixetrichor @ 4/9/2018 13:55 commented on Clair de Lune

Looking at it now, yes, some dithering might be a little unnecessary. Thank you for letting me know about that.

pixetrichor @ 1/23/2018 12:38 commented on Iced Drink

Ah, I'm glad you like it, Robin! Though if I had to say, the drink looked a bit bland before I've added and animated the fizziness effect. Maybe that's what makes it feel drinkable for you?

Also, is it a good thing I'm happy with successfully making you thirsty, or...?