JoshF @ 2/27/2012 16:27 commented on 1KMS #001

I wanted it to look like the TMNT or Toxic Crusader toys of the 90s in a Waku Waku 7-ish style.

JoshF @ 9/14/2011 14:47 commented on Random Pez

Yeah this style is kinda Famicom Plus.

JoshF @ 5/28/2011 10:01 commented on Deadpool

"Dipixelizing"  of pixel art already existed in a superior form since the beginning of video games.  They're called CRT TVs.  This doesn't represent old games it misrepresents them.  The only way to represent old games on LCDs is to emulate a good CRT (preferably with RGB signal for less noise) as perfect as possible.

JoshF @ 5/19/2011 06:48 commented on HD Soldier Puncher Soldier ANIMATED

The legs don't bend because I was thinking that if this were used as a game asset, specifically for an intense action game, it would be confusing (e.g. hitbox propotion) and an eyesore if the height of the idle pose bobbed around too much.  At the same time I wanted to give it some movement so I used the techniqe Capcom used for Sentinel in X-Men: Children of the Atom.  If the technique is good enough for one of the best looking and best animated games ever I don't think it's too much of an offense.  Limited shades also shouldn't be an issue except as a matter of taste because I used more shades than Arc System Works used for Guilty Gear X and BlazBlue.  Anyway, if you think this is lazy you'll just have to wait for more complex animations like walking.

JoshF @ 5/19/2011 06:42 commented on HD Soldier Puncher Soldier ANIMATED

[Double Post]

JoshF @ 5/19/2011 04:45 commented on HD Soldier Puncher Soldier ANIMATED

JoshF @ 4/8/2011 10:11 commented on The Cap socks Hitler!

Amazing animation, the scene reminds me of Harvey Birdman.

JoshF @ 4/7/2011 23:44 commented on Zombie boss death

It's awesome, very fluid!

JoshF @ 3/25/2011 21:31 commented on Cyborg-X

I think it could benefit from better contrast as others have said but it's still a cool design.

JoshF @ 3/25/2011 20:59 commented on Nothingman

Really cool design.  It's like a bunch of those white things from The Maxx shmushed into man shape.

JoshF @ 3/6/2011 19:19 commented on Rough mock-up

Excellent!

JoshF @ 3/6/2011 08:37 commented on Robot Monkey (Improved)

The colors are: 2 shades for each color + highlight + BG.  That pink pixel that appears when you enlarge it is an optical illusion.

JoshF @ 3/3/2011 22:43 commented on The Best Puncher Smile

[edit] oops, wrong text box.

JoshF @ 3/3/2011 15:38 commented on The Stage 2

Thanks for the help ptoing.  I'll try to fix most of these issues.  Some of the indulgent tiling I'm not concerned with as much because my theme is "what could an NES game look like now, with tons of memory and a processing boost?"   It's a wily premise I'll admit because it means I can break rules.  I'll try to be more efficient with tiling in areas where it won't make it significantly worse.  I will look into Promotion as well.

JoshF @ 3/3/2011 13:39 commented on The Stage 2

@ Victor Rojo Here's the pallete: http://doomlaser.com/images/nes-spec.gif   I used 3 colors (+ BG color black)

@ptoing What do you mean.  I tried hard to make sure everything fit within tiles so I guess you mean there are stray colors, right?  I need to stop using MS Paint.

Also thanks for the comments everybody else.

JoshF @ 3/2/2011 19:46 commented on The Stage 2

@Muiriled You have to keep it that way to stay within the NES palette.  Check out NES Ninja Gaiden 1-2.  Oh and the background wall is that way because of tile mirroring.  I wanted to give it a bit of the look of resourseful tiling of old NES games.

@Buddy90 That wouldn't work because that area is used by the Yellow BG palette.  It's not wasting color because it's one of the colors palettes of the player sprite.

Thanks for the comments.

JoshF @ 3/2/2011 12:04 commented on Machine Gun Commando (Improved)

It uses NES colors.

JoshF @ 3/2/2011 00:12 commented on Machine Gun Commando (Improved)

Maybe I'll "fix" it soon and stray outside the pallette using the excuse of "overlapping sprites."  After all this technique was used in games like Mega Man, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter 2010, and TMNT3.

JoshF @ 2/28/2011 16:19 commented on Mech Shine

The "green thing" is an improved version of my soldier behind a windshield.

JoshF @ 2/28/2011 13:24 commented on The Best Puncher Talking

I thought it'd be funny if the top half of his head moved on a hinge like a puppet.

JoshF @ 2/28/2011 01:34 commented on Caveman Wrestler in Ice

Thanks for that.  I kinda get how it could be done with game construction (I'm not actually putting these into a game ATM though, maybe later) but I was thinking about GIF animation.  I guess the method you described of them flying outside the edges of the graphic rather than showing the full trajectory would be the way to go.

JoshF @ 2/26/2011 20:52 commented on An Amiga-ish self-portrait

Are you Stallone?  Nice job.

JoshF @ 1/5/2011 09:26 commented on Famishock 1: The Best Puncher

Thanks for the tip about the link.  You're probably right about the 16x16 thing I'll see if I can fix that without messing too much up, otherwise I'll use the chip defense again.

JoshF @ 1/5/2011 05:54 commented on Tank Vol.5 "Operation S.N.O.W."

Lovely tank design.

JoshF @ 11/9/2010 21:06 commented on Robot Monkey Kick

The top part is monkey, the bottom is robot.  Kinda limited with the NES pallete but that's part of the challenge and fun.  Thanks for the Player 2 color anyway!