Stitchy @ 4/27/2014 07:53 commented on Breath of Fire 7

Let's add some mood music! www.youtube.com/watch

I love this. Very good character designs and concepts! I love this take on Nina especially (I have a sort of kinship with her since we have the same name, haha,) she has a sort of BOF2 Nina meets Deis. Everything about it is just so right and I wish this was the reality of the series instead. I would love to see this animated! /hinthint

It's really sad that Capcom is such a crap company. They take the name of a well-known RPG series and slap it on a cellphone game that likely had absolutely no relation to the series at the beginning of development. As far as I'm concerned, it would have been alright for them to make a spin-off cellphone game that had some elements from the series and simply had a subtitle like "BOF: blah blah" or something. Naming it Breath of Fire 6 is just inane.

Stitchy @ 4/19/2014 11:46 commented on Brunhilde

Hahaha, omg, yes! CATBUGGGG ♥

Stitchy @ 4/19/2014 11:42 commented on Big Bird

@ inphy: Post a news article about it, that game looks amazing! O.O It looks like st0ven is doing the art!

On a somewhat similar note, did you all know our member hwadock (aka dugy) who is known for doing a majority of the sprite work for Ragnarok Online, is working on sprites for a "spiritual successor" to RO called Tree of Savior? I was thinking of posting a news article about it, but it looks like the majority of the game is not actual pixel art, and more like the works of Vanillaware with 2D and 3D elements. The class sprites that hwadock is likely creating might be more like "true" pixel art, though it is hard to tell. Anyway, thought that was interesting!

@AlexHW: I think it would be nice if the look of the website filled out to the sides more, like the tweets take up 1/3 to the far left, your resume in the center, and your pixel works on the far right. Maybe instead of having to hover over your pixel works to see the full size, them just loading to the right at full size would be good. Maybe the top header with your name and traditional works could stretch all the way across the window, this would give you bigger previews that may catch the eye better.

Stitchy @ 4/19/2014 09:43 commented on Star Witch

Omigosh, this is stunning! And also somewhat terrifying. Keep up the beautiful work, Helm! ♥

Stitchy @ 4/17/2014 10:13 commented on Big Bird

Greenie, I'm sorry for all you've been going through. Lots of the folks here have given you some great words, and I'm generally not very good at that, but I certainly second them. You are not alone! Have you considered looking for an epilepsy support group before? I have a feeling you might have, but it's certainly worth trying once (and again!) You seem to do alright with internet interactions, so an online group might be a good start. Maybe you just need an outlet to vent your frustrations and hear the frustrations of others who truly understand your feelings, you know? I know epilepsy isn't the whole problem, but you have pick a path and start there, yeah?

As far as your social anxiety, it sounds like the epilepsy is a huge contributing factor to it's severity. Looking for a support group for the anxiety might be a good idea as well, but you should only do what you feel you can do. Taking it in small steps rather than large leaps will be better for you, trust me. Perhaps going out to a friend's place, and only a friend's place, just to hang out would be much easier to handle than the mall/DMV. Once you have no problem with the easier social situations, then move on to more public settings.

When I was a manager at a small retail chain, my assistant manager had panic attacks. She was a hard working and responsible individual, but it was very difficult for her on many days where she had to work, especially during the times she was the only employee on the floor. It was hard for me sometimes to ask her to do things and keep at it, but I knew that her giving up was never going to help her. She was medicated, but she did a lot of other things to help herself, especially during the times she was not medicated. She learned proper breathing exercises, changed her diet so she was not consuming junk (caffeine, sugar/corn syrup, etc) and started doing yoga. All those things helped her immensely. Yoga was a big factor in her feeling good, because it was relaxing and it was exercise. I'm not sure how safe yoga would be for you, but on a similar note, meditation is something I strongly recommend. It has helped me when I've been feeling particularly scared and anxious, because I do also suffer from a level of social anxiety. A healthy body will help you have a healthy mind, and if you are not eating right and not exercising, you can't expect yourself to feel as good as you might like to feel.

Turns out I had quite a bit to say, I hope it might help you, Greenie!

Stitchy @ 4/17/2014 09:18 commented on Ferinbless icon

Hurrr, thank you, Hap! You were Lollige before, right? Glad to see you around and happy belated b-day! I've been feeling shy, and I'm so happy that I'm remembered, not gonna lie! ( ; A ; ) /HUG!!

Stitchy @ 4/15/2014 08:44 commented on [OC] Roman

I am so excited for Hyper Light Drifter, I'm glad it got funded! Great job emulating the style! ^^ You could probably get rid of color #f8eeeb (his shirt button?) and replace it with the white you used for his hair~

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 21:44 commented on Slayer dude

AWW YEAH THE FULL VERSION IS EVEN BETTER /TOUCHES MUSCLES ♥♥♥

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 20:39 commented on giant's head

Hm, I think pieces you consider "not very cleaned up and tuned" should either be worked on more or taken to the WIP forum for critique before submitting to the gallery. The forum is really the best place to get critique if you think you might need it. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is what a piece needs to improve. ^^

That being said, I will give you a critique! First, what I like. I really like the concept, since a lot of giants are portrayed as malevolent, but this encounter seems like a gentle one. I like the style you used to draw the giant, especially his face. I love the eyebrows! ^^

There are some anatomy issues present throughout the picture, you may want to do a search for some anatomy references. The main issues I see are the giant's right shoulder and his legs. The deltoid just sort of disappears into his chest and has no real definition. His legs and knees are bit stumpy and the knees seem strangely wrinkled, even though it's obvious he's an older giant. I also am not sure if it was intentional, but it seems he only has three toes?

The shading suffers from what is called pillow-shading. This means that there is not definitive lightsource, and instead of the shading following a lightsource, it follows the "shape" of objects instead of representing the forms and conforming to how light hits objects in real life. This thread can explain it better and has comparison pictures of pillow-shading versus correct shading. It is under the section "Things to Avoid," just do a CTRL + F search for "pillow-shading." ^^

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 13:21 commented on Po-po Dept.

Hmm, I think this piece is a bit unrefined and is closer to an oekaki at this point.

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 13:19 commented on orcish sprites

I like the different body types and the teeny tiny faces! I feel like they're a little dark, though. I also feel their bodies might look a bit cleaner by relying less on outlines and more on the shading instead.

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 13:08 commented on untitled

66 colors is way too much for this piece. You have a lot of very similar colors you could easily combine and the picture would look the same. ^^

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 12:57 commented on Slayer dude

This very nice! The stark lighting is impactful and I love the palette and the rendering of the face. ♥ I'm not sure on some of the dithering, though. I think the piece doesn't really need it, but that might just be my opinion. :p

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 12:54 commented on xde

I think this piece is a little too rough to be considered pixel art yet. Right now, this is closer to an oekaki. Sketches are generally things that aren't accepted into the gallery as far as I can tell. If you refined this, then you'd get a yes vote from me. ^^

Besides those technicalities, this is a really nice drawing! ♥ She's very pretty, but still has a "real" feel to her that I can appreciate as a fellow female.

Stitchy @ 4/13/2014 10:43 commented on New Avatar (Updated)

I like it! His nose reminds me a little of a muppet! ♥

Stitchy @ 4/11/2014 11:07 commented on #Kill la Kill tribute

This is very nice overall! I love the section just after Ryuko comes out of the fiber cocoon! ^^ The animation is quite fluid in places, but then a bit jerky and sudden in others. The expanding of the fiber cocoon and the final pose are the sore spots for me. Maybe try making the cocoon expand more smoothly, and add some of the subtle body twist that Ryuko does at the end of the transformation. I also feel that the close up shot at the beginning could be cleaned up and refined as well.

Stitchy @ 4/11/2014 10:25 commented on Tsu

Wow, the preview does not do this piece justice. There are flaws, but the scales on the belly and the shading in the mane is really eyecatching and entertaining to stare at. The feet are very well shaped and tidy as well! I feel the muzzle is a bit unrefined near the top, though, making it look jaggy. 57 colors is excessive, and I feel you could reduce the amount of colors by a significant amount and still get the same results because there are a ton of colors that are very close to each other (mostly the very pale blues.) Lastly, I think changing the preview to the front leg area or something will give people a better idea of the scale of the piece before viewing it. As it is now, I was just expecting a headshot similar to the preview. ^^;;

Stitchy @ 4/11/2014 10:13 commented on palesun

Love it! The blue and green colors are very pleasing to me!

Stitchy @ 4/11/2014 10:12 commented on Water Temple

I agree on the water feeling a bit exagerrated, but yeah overall, this is fantastic! It has a sort of Zelda meets Golden Sun feel. Personally, my favorite part is the grating used near the top of the ceiling and the face spewing the water. ^^b

Stitchy @ 4/11/2014 09:27 commented on Rinary

She's so cute, I love her sassy expression! This is a lovely little sprite, and I agree with dyluck, it's nice and simple but still awesome. ♥

I'm gonna critique you, though! You've got some pillow shading going on in the hair. It is most notable on the top of her head and the ponytail where it meets the head. You can read more on pillow shading in this thread, it is under the section "Things to Avoid." ^^

I also I feel like the colors in this piece could be reduced. I'll use some advice I saw jalonso give out recently. If you zoom out and can't see the color immediately, then it's a wasted color. For example, the line you used on the far left side to communicate her poofy bang is just barely visible. You are likely going to have to lighten or darken some shades as you go, and here's a list of what I think you should try:

- Hair: Reduce from 4 to 3. Lighten the lightest shade of the hair slightly, and work from there.

- Green (Overalls and Eyes): Reduce from 4 to 3. I think there are random shade pixels on her straps, and should probably be mostly the lightest green over most of them, except for maybe near her shoulders.

- Black (Tights and Lashes): Reduce from 3 to 2 while still keeping her knees visible. This might not even be necessary, you likely could get away with just the one shade of black because it's such a small area.

- Brown (Boots and Shirt): Reduce from 3 to 2, and combine the darkest shade of the skin with the lightest shade of the brown.

Stitchy @ 4/10/2014 08:08 commented on Brickhouse Island experimental tileset

This is great, it's so bright and cheery and absolutely slick!

Stitchy @ 4/9/2014 17:29 commented on Ki

Haha, thank you again! This is really old stuff and I'm a little embarassed, though. ^^;; He's actually a fox-boy, and one of my oldest original characters. He's recently started to be reworked into a cyber punk story and looks completely different because he is now a human, but his personality and situation within the story is almost the same.

Stitchy @ 4/9/2014 17:22 commented on Lunette and Sirius sprites

Thank you! They're original characters of mine. Quite old ones, in fact... I just made them for fun. ^^; Sirius is a vampire who suffers from a curse, and Lunette is basically a witch he turns to for help in lifting the curse. Most of the story has never been fleshed out, though the prequel about Lunette's father was better developed, at least. The world is mostly a modern one with a sprinkling of steampunk, and of course, fantasy elements. There were a bunch of other characters, some of which I pixeled, lol. The universe is something I'd like to revisit, but other story ideas are more pertinent at the moment. And this is what you get for asking, a wall of text about nothing!

Stitchy @ 4/6/2014 09:47 commented on Hahaha!

This is very nice! Simple, but it communicates a lot, and has a ton of personality! ^^

I'm going to have to second Christoballs' suggestions, though. Her right hand looks a bit strange... maybe a pose where her hand is leaning farther back towards her wrist and the fingers curled a bit tighter would look better? As D-jinn pointed out, the shading in the hair is hard to see. I tried lightening the pink you used for the main body of her hair, and it worked just fine. ^^

Stitchy @ 4/6/2014 08:25 commented on Ryuko

You're welcome! I guessed you didn't do people as much by looking at your gallery (which is full of awesome animals!) and it seems I was right. Good for you going outside your comfort zone! ^^ b