cai @ 6/13/2011 16:45 commented on Chow

Getting a serious 'Zombies ate my Neighbors' vibe from this.  Awesome stuff!

cai @ 5/10/2011 20:38 commented on I Am Legion

This is so fantastic!  Well done!

cai @ 4/6/2011 07:29 commented on house

This is like a fusion between Minish Cap and Japanese architecture... it looks fantastic!

cai @ 3/31/2011 18:01 commented on Mystery Inc.

Very impressive for just a lunch break!

cai @ 3/31/2011 18:00 commented on A Little WIP - Minish Cap Inspired-ish

This looks pretty good, but I think you could lighten up that dark border around everything.

cai @ 3/31/2011 17:58 commented on Nothingman

Awesome design.  Very comic booky!

cai @ 3/15/2011 14:18 commented on PEW PEW PEW

Fantastic animation!  I'd like to see a bit of highlight on his head, though.

cai @ 11/16/2010 15:33 commented on Multi Doodle

This is insane and awesome.

cai @ 11/16/2010 15:26 commented on Skull and bones

Not bad!  I would suggest pushing the contrast a bit more, though.  Right now all of your colors are pretty close.

cai @ 11/16/2010 15:11 commented on Arcane Magicks of the White Wizard

Fantastic!  I'd love to see more of this world.

cai @ 11/16/2010 15:10 commented on Mushkin

Aww.. poor little guy looks sad.  Great little character, though!

cai @ 11/15/2010 22:56 commented on Brainwater

Looks pretty good to me!  Might be a better test of the effect if there were something you could see through it, though.

cai @ 11/15/2010 22:47 commented on rambokiri

Awesome.  Kinda creepy but awesome.

cai @ 11/15/2010 18:07 commented on [long time ago] WOW

Crazy awesome!  I'd love to see any of these animated.  Unfortunately have to agree with Morgengrauen that it's hard to read at 1x, but looks amazing at 2x!

cai @ 11/15/2010 18:03 commented on run

Heh, literally just saw this over at TIGS...  Very nice character, and of course great to see stuff in gameboy colors!  Any plans to make more of this character?

cai @ 11/15/2010 18:00 commented on Switch Mushroom

Fantastic colors!

cai @ 8/31/2010 17:08 commented on Clouds

I dig 'em!  Good volume to them.

cai @ 8/31/2010 17:04 commented on Pain (Naruto)

Definitely needs a lot of work, but keep up with it!

I'd recommend this pixel-art walk tutorial: http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

His feet look more like they're shuffling rather than him walking.  The arm being back also makes it look odd.

cai @ 8/29/2010 16:24 commented on return to the stage

Amazing that you managed so much detail while still sticking to the restrictions!  Awesome job!

cai @ 8/28/2010 05:07 commented on Swampy Green Guy

I'm digging all of this except for his feet.  Great work!  I really like the color contrast going on between his hair and clothes.

cai @ 8/27/2010 11:13 commented on cyclops

Your biggest problem besides anatomy is that you're using pillow shading.  Like yaomon17 said, where's the light source?  All of your segments are dark around the edges and light in the center.  Even if the light were coming straight on (going into the monitor) it wouldn't be so uniform.  I would suggest just starting with a smaller piece, say just a bust of the cyclops; you then have less area to finish (and thus might not lose patience, as you say).  Pick a single light source (top or top-left are always good picks--we have it in our brain that light usually comes from above), and define at most 5 colors for skin variations.

Here's a good article about shading by Derek Yu, which you should definitely give a read through: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=227

cai @ 8/26/2010 22:58 commented on Locutus of Borg

@Ixolite: I did originally have the laser in red, but it looked a bit off with him being in grayscale.

I would love to be able to get this to look right in the C64 palette, but those greens are just terrible. ;D

cai @ 8/26/2010 01:43 commented on Sewer Rat

@r1k: weird!  Don't know how those got in there...  Thanks for pointing it out, I've fixed it now.

cai @ 8/25/2010 18:57 commented on Sewer Rat

No, just the one, but I guess the dithering works well if it looks like more!

cai @ 8/25/2010 15:48 commented on Sewer Rat

Glad everyone likes it!

@yaomon17: no, it's black and gray only

@Manupix: those pixels are the ones I hate the most... I was trying to give the impression that it was fading into darkness.  I'll have to play with it some more and see if I can get something better!