PaTheGrub @ 5/19/2015 15:17 commented on Walter White

Using reference is fine. This however just looks like this image colorized and with a pixel sized checker pattern on top. Am I wrong?

PaTheGrub @ 6/24/2013 07:55 commented on Vitruvian Man by Leonardo DaVinci

Does it have to be only the effect, or can we also depict the source and/or target of the effect? e.g. "car going over a cliff, exploding on impact" or "character getting splashed with acid, leaving only the skeleton"??

PaTheGrub @ 6/24/2013 02:30 commented on View

I have stumpled upon that channel before... probably should start going through the videos and doing some exercises based on them. Thanks for reminding me :)

PaTheGrub @ 4/11/2013 17:43 commented on Colleagues

Thanks for the comments everyone.

PaTheGrub @ 4/10/2013 11:10 commented on RPG Party

Almost 2 years later... it was interesting to return to this piece with all the new knowledge I have now. It's still flawed, but WAY better than before. Thanks again for all the help.

PaTheGrub @ 4/5/2013 04:26 commented on Trustworthy

@Skurwy87: Yes, it is indeed. :)

PaTheGrub @ 4/4/2013 15:10 commented on Trustworthy

@ADrawingMan Success! Even though you expected to be fooled, I fooled you anyways. :D

PaTheGrub @ 4/4/2013 15:09 commented on Trustworthy

@ jalonso Don't mean to get PJ into trouble, will add a warning as soon as voting is over.

PaTheGrub @ 3/31/2013 08:17 commented on View

@failureboy: Hm.. I kind of like that tree from a overall composition standpoint. But since it's flawed anyways, maybe removing it would help... I'll experiment more with this picture when I find the time. Thanks.

PaTheGrub @ 3/30/2013 19:23 commented on Fireflies

As ADrawingMan says, the diagonal lines make the jar look flat.. BUT I would definitely accept that as a stylistic choice. It doesn't look bad, it just stands out. It's like its more of a symbol of a jar than an actual physical jar.

What I don't quite like though is, the fireflies are all very evenly spaced from each other. It makes it look kind of artificial, like a chain of lights. I would recommand experimenting with that, have some be closer together, making small clusters, others further away. You obviously worked against an artificial look, having them different "sizes" but I feel like it's not quite enough.

PaTheGrub @ 3/30/2013 19:08 commented on View

@failureboy: Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree. But at my current skill level detailed trees would have looked way worse. I have a lot of trouble with plants in general... you don't happen to know a good plants/trees tutorial? Not just pixel art, but like at all. I feel that there is something important I'm missing for understanding how to draw realistic foliage that i haven't yet figured out by pracitce.

PaTheGrub @ 3/30/2013 18:55 commented on Pink House

It's well constructed and a nice design. But there seems to be some technical issues.

This image has way more colors than necessary, many shades are almost identical. Usually, what you want to do in pixel art is keep the color palette to a minimum that barely allows you to fullfill your creative vision. I'd guess you used a brush with anti-aliasing which caused all these similar shades.

If you use photoshop, you need to switch from the "brush tool" to the "pen tool", that will let you draw pixel perfect and give you total control. If you use some other program, tell us the name, I'm sure someone here will know how to set it up properly.

PaTheGrub @ 3/30/2013 18:31 commented on RedMan

If you follow around the border of the white oval of the eyes, there are these "dents". Do you know what I mean? This happens a lot when using the circle tool in programms. Fill these dents in by hand and your ovals should look quite a bit nicer.

PaTheGrub @ 3/30/2013 03:39 commented on Wolf and sheep

The colors, the shape style, the faces, they all combine to maximum cuteness. My favorite entry so far. Nice work.

PaTheGrub @ 3/29/2013 08:41 commented on Colleagues

It seems, someone entered this in the challenge anyway. (Or did I check the box by accident? Pretty sure I didn't.) I'm OK with it, as long as everybody else is. If someone feels this is not fair because the rules clearly state "two", please tell me. You can PM me if you don't want to do that publicly, I won't reveal your name. I would respect that and make sure my piece is taken out of the challenge.

PaTheGrub @ 3/29/2013 08:36 commented on Colleagues

@failureboy: Made the windows yellow. Now they stand out even more, but they also contrast more with the paper. Not sure if you'll like this better than the version before, but I certainly do, so thanks for the hint. :D

PaTheGrub @ 3/26/2013 20:12 commented on View

Thanks. The Thing is though, I didn't really set out to use these colors. When it comes to colors I just feel kind of lost.

PaTheGrub @ 3/26/2013 15:42 commented on Avatars

Thanks. The style is somewhat inspired by the iPhone game Ridiculous Fishing, only using 45 degree angles, not that it shows very well at such low resolution. :)

PaTheGrub @ 3/26/2013 15:38 commented on Avatars

Updated ...the colors where a bit off. Looks better now with the darker color being a more complentary hue. Really need to work on my color sense.

PaTheGrub @ 12/6/2012 02:54 commented on Hooded Stranger

New version. Worked on all the issues mentioned. Thanks for the comments everyone.

PaTheGrub @ 10/25/2012 03:47 commented on Hooded Stranger

Yeah you're right... the Game I made this for is actually straight top down with characters sideways for better readability, kind of like the 2D Zelda games. The slash effect that I use in game is also top down but I dont have interesting backgrounds yet to post, and without that context it just looked wierd so I fixed this up quickly with a side view slash... but in hindsight I probably should have optimized the whole sprite for side view. I'll try to find time to fix it.

Thanks for the critique.

PaTheGrub @ 12/12/2011 16:51 commented on Vain

Is that a good or bad thing? =)

PaTheGrub @ 11/21/2011 10:10 commented on RPG Party

The golem definitely looks out of place, I spent the most time on it but it looks the worst. I might have picked too satuared colors since I intended it to be some kind of green gemstone/crystal golem, but I didn't know how to draw or render crystals so I just gave him a "regular" body though the idea stuck in my head. I tend to pick bad colors in general so maybe that doesn't have to do anything with it. =) But I think the bigger problem why it looks so out of place is the rendering with the obvious dithering compared to the other characters.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

PaTheGrub @ 11/21/2011 09:56 commented on RPG Party

I hadn't noticed the problem with the yellow highlights, but now that you mentioned it, yeah. Thanks for pointing it out.

The golem gave me quite some troubles. Since the other characters didn't have obvious dithering I tried to avoid it in the golem and instead used more colors, but it ended up just looking like very badly done cell shading with too many shades. Than I tried doing some dithering without reducing colors first but it looked wierd, though I guess if I had been able to, this would have been the ideal solution, but I couldn't make it work, so I ended up with this. But any tips regarding that will be appreciated.

PaTheGrub @ 4/18/2011 13:45 commented on No Mercy

Thanks for the comments. I'm serious about getting better, so critique is always welcome. Don't hold back. =)