Adarias @ 10/21/2018 19:12 commented on Classes

I really love the user of colors and the characters, while playing perhaps a bit heavily on stereotypes, are a refreshing shift from the classic depictions.  Nicely done.

Adarias @ 10/20/2018 17:23 commented on Big Bird

@StoneStephenT: Not a bad idea!  With the holidays coming up I think we have several of the next challenges already lined up, but we're always open to ideas.  If you don't end up seeing it as a weekly, you can always start posting some yourself and see if it catches on :)

Adarias @ 10/20/2018 13:36 commented on Cave Tilesset

So to start, I should say we're happy to add this piece to your gallery if you like -- it's of sound quality.

At the same time, the format of the gallery strongly favors finished works, so if you're actively seeking CC, you might also try the WIP forms or similar spaces to get the feedback you're looking for.

Let us know when you're ready to add the peice to your gallery and we will happily do so.

Adarias @ 10/20/2018 13:17 commented on Big Bird

@Schog nice!  If you or anyone else ends up entering a pixel art game, feel free to submit it as a news item as well, or artwork from it to the gallery.

Adarias @ 10/19/2018 17:45 commented on Busy Ghosts

I feel like the effect might be improved by having the orange wood grain extend into the black slightly past the red, so that it's not a single hard boundary.

That said this is a hugely successful and charming piece.  Very spooky!

Adarias @ 10/14/2018 12:17 commented on The Grainery

Love this.  Real throwback style reminiscent of the psx / gba days, while holding up on its own as well.

Adarias @ 10/10/2018 07:57 commented on Big Bird

Thanks everybody.  After ~13 years of stepping in and out of the shadows, I'm happy to be given the opportunity to give back to the community as a moderator.

@DawnBringer the new rules definitely need to be broken in.  I believe they represent a step forward, and I know Theoden and myself will be doing our best to interpret them in a way that benefits the community, just as other mods have long been doing.

With regard to certain works being accepted, the balance between inclusiveness and consistency is a hard one.  It happened that several works stretching the rules came in all at once while the pendulum was in the more open-minded part of its arc.

Several of these pieces were discussed among the mods and the decision was not unanimous.  This is a good thing -- healthy debate makes us a stronger community. You are also free to dislike these pieces and disagree with the decision.

If you look however at the Monthly Top, not just this month, but last month and the month before, I would hope you see what I see -- that the community continues to favor well-drawn, hand-wrought pixel art above any other type of work submitted.

Focussing on the few pieces that don't align with a particular ideal is a great way to miss all the excellent pieces that do.

Adarias @ 10/9/2018 20:23 commented on Clash in the woods

This piece is off to a nice start, but it also has a pretty massive color count (421) that seems like it may have come from blending layers, as well as a number of stray pixels towards the center.  Is there a chance it could have the color count brought down a bit, to be more in keeping with ideal of every color being intentional?  This might even help the characters pop a bit more.

Adarias @ 10/8/2018 16:09 commented on FF1 NES All Classes+Anmations M/F

There is a special place in my heart for the original FF sprites.  But your re-imaginging is nice and clear and I think a good deal better than most similar attempts.  So good job :).

Adarias @ 10/8/2018 12:15 commented on tiolo

Liking these short-and-sweet prompts.  I feel like this one is ripe for a collage once all the entries are in!

Adarias @ 10/1/2018 18:36 commented on rpg_char_avatar01

Thanks :)

Adarias @ 10/1/2018 18:34 commented on Big Bird

@StoneStephenT I have found the best is to just start pushing, feel things out.  There's a strong chance the piece you begin will not be the peice you end up finishing, with both the meaning and content emerging along the way. Excessive preplanning usually creates doubt that criples the piece. This isn't only true for pixel art, but just about any form of creative expression.

When in doubt I start with a medium, neutral ground tone and work into it with a light and a dark.  Other people work by throwing splotches of color around until they start to form something.  Still others start from photo or collage.  The trick is finding a method, any method, to kick off your creative process, because you'll never hit your stride if you don't start!

Adarias @ 10/1/2018 16:24 commented on rpg_char_avatar01

So I'm gonna be the jerk that makes this complicated:

2 frames for the attack + N idle frame(s)?  Exactly 2 frames, 1 idle + 1 attacking? Exactly 2 frames, attacking endlessly with no idle?

Adarias @ 9/12/2018 19:39 commented on Secret Agent

Rule 7 is primarily for preview thumbnails that show up in the feed.  It’s clarification of a previously informal rule that just about everyone already followed.  The guidelines for large pieces (not small files) are unchanged.

Of course there is no objective standard of “tasteful” - the moderators have to rely on a combination of instinct, experience, and user feedback.  But there have been what, two or three users in a decade that have felt censored for explicit content?  So I doubt it will be a common issue.

Adarias @ 9/9/2018 08:30 commented on Big Bird

500 implies the server tried to process your request and couldn't (threw an unhandled exception).  While it could be the result of a server-side bug, the fact that the upload feature has been stable for years coupled with the facy that you're getting the error consistently suggests it might be something about your particular file.

I would try re-exporting the source image and/or running it through a program like Pngyu or ImageOptim to ensure that it's optimally formatted and non-corrupt.

If that doesn't work, call the cops.

Adarias @ 8/25/2018 13:20 commented on Seals of Fence 2.0

Not only boss in its own right, but a massive improvement over what I already thought was a great push of the restrictions.

Adarias @ 8/19/2018 13:38 commented on The Big Art Dump

I really enjoy the 1bit work in the lower right; I hope you continue on that path if it suits you :)

Adarias @ 8/19/2018 13:36 commented on Monster Maze

Wild.  Love it.

Adarias @ 8/15/2018 15:50 commented on Herbert tries to fish

Reminds of Secret of Mana landscapes ima nice way.  Smooth animation :)

Adarias @ 8/15/2018 15:45 commented on Big Bird

Pix really kinda died ~5 years ago, when for many reasons people simply stopped posting new works, or stopped replying to the critique that was offered.

What was “kept alive” wasn’t what made the site worth visiting, and included a significant element that was not only regressive in nature, but directly antagonistic to many members, while being wholly unrelated to pixel art.  To point of a finger at the discord format seems a bit disingenuous.  I was personally unaware of any “stunts” because I gave up a long time ago.

Obviously I cannot complain too loudly, as I rarely post these days.  I don't make much new pixel art and don't make time to leave much detailed feedback.

It’s worth noting that people like Manupix, Gecimen, PBDC, Pyrometal, Eishiya et al (there are many) have done a tremendous job of keeping PJ active and perhaps even reinvigorating it in spite of various challenges similar to those faced at Pix (antiquated tech, toxic discussion, etc.).  Activity levels here fluctuate considerably, but at least there is meaningful activity.

Two ideas I always liked were to integrate collaboration into the gallery at the code level, and to integrate WIPs/Crits into the gallery (also at the code level).  Such features and other suggestions could go a long way towards salvaging what is good about both communities.  As I understand however it these are on semi-permanent hold pending significant backend overhauls, and collaboration on the coding challenges is off the table.

Adarias @ 8/6/2018 10:23 commented on Bogu Parts - Men

Ditto Eishiya's question - max vs exact here is worth knowing early on

Adarias @ 8/6/2018 07:42 commented on ninja portrait 03

The three entries are really unique and non-comparable.  Voting as such seems irrelevant.

Good job @PixelMart, @Funky Boy :)

Adarias @ 7/29/2018 03:35 commented on Duckweed

There’s a scrolling mask that offsets the underlying image 1px on the y axis.  There is a second mask over the branches and parts of the duckweed to prevent them from moving.  The frames were cleaned up slightly by hand, mostly to eliminate strays.

Adarias @ 7/14/2018 14:41 commented on Turf house

Sometimes I find myself thinking "you know, even though there are hundreds of pixel artists, there are only about a dozen or so styles of grass.  There just aren't enough different cluster types to really innovate."

Sometimes, like today, someone proves me completely wrong in a simple, elegant way.

Adarias @ 7/14/2018 14:33 commented on Masked Guilty

I generally don't love high-contrast dithering or mixed resolution pixel work.  You have used both fantastially.