Cyangmou @ 9/7/2018 05:50 commented on Flame Princess

While the composition and colors are nice, she also seems to have two right hands.

At least the bright spot at the hand coming from her right arm (from her out perspective) seems like the bony end of the ulna  and therefore the hand seems to be drawn mirrored, although the thumb could also be hidden behind the leg and then the hand seems to be anatomically broken. It kinda confuses me, it's mainly bad bc. it`s directly in the middle of the image.

Cyangmou @ 8/13/2018 04:00 commented on Big Bird

Pixelation's active comm mostly moved the last years over to the Slack chat and later to the Discord.
At least as far as I can say, that most of the people who have been active on the board during the last 4 years as I have been a mod also been active there, it wa smostly a chat where people would talk about games, hobbies, art etc.

The forum was then mostly used for matters of big importance, but feedback on forums as platform is slow and it's hard to quickly discuss or address points, especially considering the length one has to go to to get a picture up (image hoster, link, posting etc.), PJ has the same problem, but the gallery is alive, bc. for that it is worth to put in that amount of time to get a simple picture up.

That being said most topics which come up have been covered already, the tree threads, the grass threads and the character threads are a stable, for which I introduced the archive.

Most posts of critique there got answered.

The daily sketch thread always was active. The link collections got updated too and it has been easier than ever to find these threads full of knowledge which helped many people in the process.

Helm wanted to come back as mod, which I personally thought was cool, because I always respected him. But then he started to put everyone of the recent comm in the same bucket.

The way he went over it was inacceptable plenty of people of the recent comm and myself, who put work in the place during the last 3 years Helm exactly made 3 posts.

He used a small sub-part of the chat (the politics section, where mostly 3 people were arguing about stuff nobody else really had interest in and wasn't even read by most people - myself excluded) and he took offense to a lot of very harmless jokes traded between people who know each other super well and he took some political stances as well.

So he said either he gets the forum back and the chat gets closed or dissociated, or he will destroy his posts.

Of course parts of the recent comm who were daily active during the last 3-6 years there also felt attacked, considering that if he wouldn't have gotten his way it also would have deleted all his threads.

And in the process harm a lot of those interesting, freela available, public art ressources - which should be maintained, because thoughts and critique chains with missing posts of critique are useless.

Helm mostly had a part in the older interesting discussions. Not too few of my own critique threads, which actually can go to shit now anytime, if helm decides to put up this kind of pressure again.

It is too much for me to handle, considering all the time and sweat I put into it keep the place running and put up interesting threads and discussions, whenever I had some time next to my work dduring the last years.

That being said Helm is now back as a mod, but sadly he went over it  in a way that the community fractured beyond repair.

Cyangmou @ 8/1/2018 23:54 commented on Big Bird

Thanks a lot Fleja

Cyangmou @ 7/31/2018 04:43 commented on Big Bird

Thanks a lot Irena, I have been on a vacation Trip and just came back =)

Cyangmou @ 7/1/2018 01:32 commented on Leyla

@Squirrelsquid:

At this point in time I am already completely booked up for 2018.
I also like to talk business exclusively via E-Mail and not in public comment space.

Cyangmou @ 5/26/2018 01:44 commented on Leyla

@Fleja
thanks a lot for your nice comment.
I am glad that you are enjoying them.

And indeed, while being pure fantasy, they have a strong historical European influence.

Cyangmou @ 2/21/2018 22:39 commented on Naval Battle

You can easily get away with 32 colors:

This would make pixel level polish a whole lot more easier

The image already has everything it needs to be great pixel art.

Composition and mood are on point
In this stage however it looks more like a sketch, than a final piece I'd say.

Cyangmou @ 1/25/2018 12:20 commented on enjoy the veiw

congratulations =)

Cyangmou @ 1/25/2018 03:09 commented on "Elinor" Concept

it's nice, but you already know I adore it :)

Cyangmou @ 11/23/2017 10:24 commented on Small Coin Spin

great work.

Very dynamic and super nice with the lil effect.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:34 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@elend
yeah please do, if you like what you see =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:33 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Yrizoud
Yeah that's true, my colors are usually on the cooler side of the spectrum with a lot of an oily feeling to them. It's just a preference of mine. Although I have to say with tower that's not really different.
That bit about the blue shadows are an interesting thing, maybe I am understanding you wrong, since I guess I stopped using strong blue backlights in 2014. Now most of my shadows are either green, gray or purple.
I mean it also could depend on the game you look at (Tower 57, The Mummy Demastered, Shadows of Adam, ... or even my personal art )
I think all of those projects games have a unique personality in terms of style to them.
But yeah, you got me really curious =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:21 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@BananaExtract
yeah it's nice to take the time to balance this out. Sadly it takes a whole lot of time too.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate, that you appreciate the depth =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:20 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Doyoudigworms

Actually i posted a fair bit of stuff during the development on my twitter, and plenty of things in the last 2 weeks.

Of course you always have a lot more insight after creating a game, especially if you never created a whole one from scratch before.
So yeah I learned a great deal of thigs, but nothing I could say without a specific question.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:17 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@JerryPie
We could argue days over what people think and it wouldn't lead to change.
I let those people just happily play EA and Ubisoft games and let them pay 300 bucks for incomplete experiences with lootcrates ;)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:15 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Fleja
It's actually because the logo and the artwork use 2 different palette sets. i guess i painted the main artwork with about 64 or so.  Seperating the depths and getting that airbrush painterly feel of the era just takes more colors.
While low color counts are for a reason promited in pixelart-communities, I think there is no problem with having a lot, as long as one manages to handle them. The decisions on clusters would be about the same, even with less colors. I think it doesn't really matter, because this one here isn't about "look what i made with just x colors" it's about the painting.

The only problem is that a lot of time goes into it and that with less colors you sually can achieve a similar effect much faster.
But well those extra hours didn't really matter anymore after the long time the project took.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:10 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Airstyle
Bioshock with tophats? Yeah that pretty much nails it.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 10:12 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@yrizoud
this might be a style thing in terms of decisionmaking.
Now I am of course inquisitive what tendencies you are talking about.
Tower just had the goal of looking like the sweet spot between Metal Slug and Chaos Engine.
GUess it's just a question of style preference =)
Thanks a lot.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 09:13 commented on Big Bird

I encountered multiple bugs with uploading artworks.

-if the filesize is to big (exceeding 4000 or so) the artwork won't show up

-if you upload a preview which is bigger than 100x100, you exchange the preview, it will show the preview instead of the other big file you uploaded (gues syou would have to upload the big file again)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 09:11 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

Somehow PJ had a bug and uploaded the preview instead of the actual artwork.
I exchanged thi snow, after remarking it.

Cyangmou @ 11/13/2017 16:08 commented on Elk's Morrigan Aensland (DB16)

face is nice
boobs are as well
hair is great too

so the immedate and important points of attention all got really enough work to shine.

glancing over secondary parts of the image it feels quite sketchy / unpolished though, like it was thrown in, the wings feel great, the body itself not that much.

-ear seems to "fleshy" and a bit too big or placed a tad too much behind.

-perspective of big wings don't align, rear ones uppest point should be significantly below front ones (e.g. head)
-head rear wing has less volume than front one /spreading of fingers is awkward in terms of foreshortening)
-front arm elbow never can be in this position if the hand is turned outward. It seems to be broken twice. Either the elbow position is wrong, radius/ulna are broken or the outline on the lower arm is wrong, muscles and bones don't align though.
-hands are to small
-hands lack actual wrist joints / not long enough
-rear elbow is overstretched
-explosion seems to emit orange light, therefore lighting on hands and legs feels off
-belly doesn't follow spine line
-ass in this position implies that the standing leg is the front one. Hip joint on the rear leg then would be in an angle which is not supported by tendons or the joint is dislocated
-both upper legs have different lengths. Rear one is longer, despite moved pelvis / look at the knee line and you will see that it can't line up in space.
-front knee shows too frontal in the camera, would need a slight rotation inwards
outside line of the front upper leg, neither considers any of the ass muscles, nor structural anatomical rhythm
-frontal foot doesn't really look like a heel.

tried to fix some things quickly and dirty. I focused mainly on the first points though.
Also as i edited the leg i felt like rotating the whole thing might be a good idea to keep it in balance, which would have been off otherwise.
I also had a problem envisioning the exact horizon line / angle you intented to look at her. Which means that my quickly thrown together visualizations might not be in line with what you intented in first place.

Cyangmou @ 11/13/2017 14:19 commented on Elk's Morrigan Aensland (DB16)

Nice first impression Alex.
Do you want some critique on the piece?

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:14 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Everybody
Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciated it a lot to read all of them =)

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:14 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Frost
Is there such a thing?

Well I spent several months full-time on this project, so a lot of work went into it, but a lot of different scenarios were created as well =)

Thanks a lot.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:13 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Zizka:
Yes I am still trying to work on my weaknesses =)
My life as an artist certainly doesn't get boring.