Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:34 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@elend
yeah please do, if you like what you see =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:33 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Yrizoud
Yeah that's true, my colors are usually on the cooler side of the spectrum with a lot of an oily feeling to them. It's just a preference of mine. Although I have to say with tower that's not really different.
That bit about the blue shadows are an interesting thing, maybe I am understanding you wrong, since I guess I stopped using strong blue backlights in 2014. Now most of my shadows are either green, gray or purple.
I mean it also could depend on the game you look at (Tower 57, The Mummy Demastered, Shadows of Adam, ... or even my personal art )
I think all of those projects games have a unique personality in terms of style to them.
But yeah, you got me really curious =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:21 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@BananaExtract
yeah it's nice to take the time to balance this out. Sadly it takes a whole lot of time too.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate, that you appreciate the depth =)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:20 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Doyoudigworms

Actually i posted a fair bit of stuff during the development on my twitter, and plenty of things in the last 2 weeks.

Of course you always have a lot more insight after creating a game, especially if you never created a whole one from scratch before.
So yeah I learned a great deal of thigs, but nothing I could say without a specific question.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:17 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@JerryPie
We could argue days over what people think and it wouldn't lead to change.
I let those people just happily play EA and Ubisoft games and let them pay 300 bucks for incomplete experiences with lootcrates ;)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:15 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Fleja
It's actually because the logo and the artwork use 2 different palette sets. i guess i painted the main artwork with about 64 or so.  Seperating the depths and getting that airbrush painterly feel of the era just takes more colors.
While low color counts are for a reason promited in pixelart-communities, I think there is no problem with having a lot, as long as one manages to handle them. The decisions on clusters would be about the same, even with less colors. I think it doesn't really matter, because this one here isn't about "look what i made with just x colors" it's about the painting.

The only problem is that a lot of time goes into it and that with less colors you sually can achieve a similar effect much faster.
But well those extra hours didn't really matter anymore after the long time the project took.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 15:10 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@Airstyle
Bioshock with tophats? Yeah that pretty much nails it.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 10:12 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

@yrizoud
this might be a style thing in terms of decisionmaking.
Now I am of course inquisitive what tendencies you are talking about.
Tower just had the goal of looking like the sweet spot between Metal Slug and Chaos Engine.
GUess it's just a question of style preference =)
Thanks a lot.

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 09:13 commented on Big Bird

I encountered multiple bugs with uploading artworks.

-if the filesize is to big (exceeding 4000 or so) the artwork won't show up

-if you upload a preview which is bigger than 100x100, you exchange the preview, it will show the preview instead of the other big file you uploaded (gues syou would have to upload the big file again)

Cyangmou @ 11/16/2017 09:11 commented on Tower 57 - Launch Illustration

Somehow PJ had a bug and uploaded the preview instead of the actual artwork.
I exchanged thi snow, after remarking it.

Cyangmou @ 11/13/2017 16:08 commented on Elk's Morrigan Aensland (DB16)

face is nice
boobs are as well
hair is great too

so the immedate and important points of attention all got really enough work to shine.

glancing over secondary parts of the image it feels quite sketchy / unpolished though, like it was thrown in, the wings feel great, the body itself not that much.

-ear seems to "fleshy" and a bit too big or placed a tad too much behind.

-perspective of big wings don't align, rear ones uppest point should be significantly below front ones (e.g. head)
-head rear wing has less volume than front one /spreading of fingers is awkward in terms of foreshortening)
-front arm elbow never can be in this position if the hand is turned outward. It seems to be broken twice. Either the elbow position is wrong, radius/ulna are broken or the outline on the lower arm is wrong, muscles and bones don't align though.
-hands are to small
-hands lack actual wrist joints / not long enough
-rear elbow is overstretched
-explosion seems to emit orange light, therefore lighting on hands and legs feels off
-belly doesn't follow spine line
-ass in this position implies that the standing leg is the front one. Hip joint on the rear leg then would be in an angle which is not supported by tendons or the joint is dislocated
-both upper legs have different lengths. Rear one is longer, despite moved pelvis / look at the knee line and you will see that it can't line up in space.
-front knee shows too frontal in the camera, would need a slight rotation inwards
outside line of the front upper leg, neither considers any of the ass muscles, nor structural anatomical rhythm
-frontal foot doesn't really look like a heel.

tried to fix some things quickly and dirty. I focused mainly on the first points though.
Also as i edited the leg i felt like rotating the whole thing might be a good idea to keep it in balance, which would have been off otherwise.
I also had a problem envisioning the exact horizon line / angle you intented to look at her. Which means that my quickly thrown together visualizations might not be in line with what you intented in first place.

Cyangmou @ 11/13/2017 14:19 commented on Elk's Morrigan Aensland (DB16)

Nice first impression Alex.
Do you want some critique on the piece?

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:14 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Everybody
Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciated it a lot to read all of them =)

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:14 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Frost
Is there such a thing?

Well I spent several months full-time on this project, so a lot of work went into it, but a lot of different scenarios were created as well =)

Thanks a lot.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:13 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Zizka:
Yes I am still trying to work on my weaknesses =)
My life as an artist certainly doesn't get boring.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:12 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Genjaha:
Why Unfortunate?

I guess there is Wayforward and then there is YachtClub (which emerged from them)
Aside from that maybe Nitrome.

But yes, a lot of companies rather pour millions in sub-par 3D compared to industry standards than in rock solid aesthetically pleasing 2D.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 02:09 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Carnivac
There are a lot of similar Metroidvanias which came out this year like Dead Cells, Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge on the Switch. The prices all differ, and I didn't have to do anything with the business side on the Mummy, I just created art.
I am really happy that you liked the game and the art and that you had a pleasent experience with it =)

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 01:53 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Ubisavis
Pixelart now for 7 years
I worked on this since the beginning of this year.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 01:52 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Taki

Ah well jst have fun creating, that's the only thing which counts, if it inspires you that's cool as well.
Thanks a lot.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 01:50 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Weston
Thanks a lot

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 01:49 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Super17:

I guess the plaster casts and statues are kinda a thing I like :)
But it's cool that you recognized it.

Cyangmou @ 11/8/2017 01:48 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Lijj

200k would be a bit much, considering that the dev time wasn't that long, but I got paid a fair sum.

Cyangmou @ 11/2/2017 10:24 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Everyone
Thanks a lot for leaving a nice and heartwarming comment, you are the best.

Cyangmou @ 11/2/2017 10:23 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Nether:
You should neithe rhurt your desk nor yourself. Trust me on this one, it's better for both of you :D
Thanks

Cyangmou @ 11/2/2017 10:22 commented on The Mummy Demastered

@Fleja2003
That's cool to know, guess everyone has different faves - as it's always the case.

Also keep up your work danny, at the end of the day you get better with more experience and should just enjoy creating stuff. Quality comes if you keep motivated and work constantly throughout the years on your flaws.

Thanks a lot for your long comment, everything is very much appreciated, I am humbled :)