daniel @ 6/28/2007 02:45 commented on Tetsuooo!

I assumed the hand was big like that because he was turning into a big freaky mutant monster like in the end of the film. Now THAT would make a cool animated gif.

daniel @ 6/25/2007 16:49 commented on Game Walker

@Metaru: I personally find it easier to evaluate whether walk cycles work or not if I do make them move, rather than walk on the spot. Making them move, like you've got here, shows what they're going to look like in-game.

@Watercloset: The bouncy hair looks good. The cloak seems a bit stiff by comparison, though. Maybe give it a bit of bounce, like the hair?

daniel @ 6/25/2007 16:42 commented on Sedgemonkey
@Shawm: I guess your house would count as a monument if you're the president or the queen or something.

daniel @ 6/23/2007 11:48 commented on Weedy
Once again, Fool rools.

daniel @ 6/23/2007 11:47 commented on First ever tree
Nice. I like the gnarly trunk. If you're looking for ways to improve it, I'd suggest moving the lighter area of the laeves up and to te left slightly, to give a feel of directional lighting, and maybe highlighting a little on the trunk.

daniel @ 6/23/2007 11:43 commented on Manlord!
Great. Most over-the-top powerup I've ever seen. I mean that in a good way. It's like Altered Beast, but better.

daniel @ 6/23/2007 11:40 commented on XP start-up
Ha! It crashes almost as frequently as the real thing!

daniel @ 6/23/2007 11:36 commented on Samus Aran
@Tomas - yes, the resemblance is uncanny.

daniel @ 6/22/2007 08:25 commented on Bombs Away!
One of my favouritest games ever. I like the almost-monochrome brown palette. I'm not sure the green floor adds much to it. Could you make the floor brown as well?

daniel @ 6/22/2007 04:29 commented on Dragon Sprite
The selective outlining makes it look a bit untidy, in my opinion, but that could well be just a metter of taste.

daniel @ 6/22/2007 04:19 commented on Underwater

I like this. It's crying out, imho, for a horizontal-scrolling parallax animation. And moving bubbles. And make the seaweed wave about. And some sprites in the foreground. I guess what I'm saying is that it looks like a cool game background, and I'd enjoy seeing a full mockup.

Oh, and I second everything Chris said.

daniel @ 6/22/2007 04:13 commented on Guybrush Walk
Nice. The floppy arms remind me a little of Captain Jack Sparrow. The best thing about the Pirates of the Carribean films is the way Depp walks.

daniel @ 6/22/2007 04:10 commented on Dark Skyline

Yeah, the perspective in the foreground is off - the windows on the lighter side of the building don't follow the agnle of the roof. They should either be parallel or slightly straighter than the line of the roof - at the moment their horizontals are slightly more inclines, which makes them look kind of droopy. Out of curiosity, I tried moving the left-hand and middle columns of windows up one pixel, which helped a little, but the fact that the windows aren't all the same width complicates things.

I sympathise. Perspective's a bitch, especially in pixels.

daniel @ 6/22/2007 02:40 commented on Soldier portrait 1
@Adam & Zero - thanks guys! No glaring errors, then? I think that's a first for me.

daniel @ 6/21/2007 12:21 commented on Sofia's Owl.
Not bad at all. Welcome to Pixeljoint.

daniel @ 6/21/2007 06:15 commented on Love

@Toxic - I'm guessing there's no AA because this piece has been done for the "two colours only" weekly challenge.

In terms of design and drawing I really like this, but I'm not sure pixels are the best medium for this kind of piece - I think it would look better vectored or hand-drawn. Of course, then you couldn't post it here, but I think it might make a better piece.

daniel @ 6/21/2007 04:17 commented on Tiamat I

Nice! I'm impressed with the meandering paths - you've managed to stop the layout looking too formal and angular, which is always difficult in isometric stuff.

My only criticism is that you've rather overused the darkest brown colour - this makes the shadows and detailing in the darker areas look a bit flat. This is particularly obvious in the windmill. I'd suggest either using more black in the darker areas, or introducing another colour between your dark brown and the black.

daniel @ 6/21/2007 04:10 commented on La Source

@Presley - Yeah, the left (her right) breast looks a little flat, now I look at it again. Bear in mind, though, that:

a) with her arms above her head her breasts are going to be lifted and stretched upward, diminishing the shadows underneath.

b) she conforms to a 19th Century French ideal, so her breasts are going to look pretty small by contemporary standards.

Not that I'm trying to make excuses - I think you're probably right. If you look at Adam's edit (below), he's put a fair bit more shading in and she looks generally more 3D.

I may do an edit, but as I've already entered this piece into the competition, there's not much point. I might do a colour version at some point.

daniel @ 6/20/2007 19:45 commented on The Great Bunny Massacre
I like the duck a lot. However, I think the multiple cut-and-pasted bunny heads are a bit boring. It would be better if there was some variation there.

daniel @ 6/20/2007 19:42 commented on Fat Dragon
I think this would be a lot more interesting if it wasn't exactly symmetric left to right. Maybe move the light source over to one side?

daniel @ 6/20/2007 19:40 commented on Bobo.

Nice animation. I'm getting the glitch on his left hand, too, though.

And the shading's a little flat for my taste. The outline really works to suggest shaggy fur - it would be nice if the shading suggested a furry texture, too.

daniel @ 6/20/2007 19:36 commented on colonel sanders

It looks like a vector graphic. I'm not saying you didn't pixel it by hand, it's just that I'm not sure what the point is of painstakingly recreating a vector graphic pixel-by-pixel.

daniel @ 6/20/2007 19:06 commented on Type 94 Tankette
@Zero - yeah, I'm afraid you're right. You can imagine how much of a pain in the ass they were to do, even badly.

daniel @ 6/20/2007 14:56 commented on Juice
Heh, keepin' it oldskool...

daniel @ 6/20/2007 11:21 commented on Ninja

@Bostwick - yeah, I get that it's meant to be that way. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be.