castled @ 8/26/2018 12:00 commented on Ludum Dare 42 unfinished game

love the style of people and the animals myself. Really would have liked to play this game!

castled @ 5/14/2018 10:18 commented on Bhumi

incredible! IMO the water animation is fantastic, the speed of it fits with the viewing distance and sense of scale

castled @ 3/29/2018 10:33 commented on Overgrown Tower

@zeph yeah fair, trying not to take too long for dailies!

Thanks Theo!

castled @ 1/12/2016 11:49 commented on GRAPDFUFTIRS

aw that's a shame I wanted to vote for this one.

castled @ 12/21/2015 10:19 commented on Attack!

I really like the character design and motion blur here. One way I think it could be a little better is if his arm was raised during the windup. The staff seems a bit big for a flick 'o the wrist.

castled @ 12/17/2015 18:28 commented on Walk Softly

this is amazing! I think the portrait fits well tbh, though it would benefit from a little antialiasing on the cheek and ear especially

castled @ 5/1/2014 10:03 commented on idle

reminds me of nomar garciaparra

castled @ 4/23/2014 09:42 commented on BattleGame: Mhyre's Grotto

I've got no background on the accepted definition of "new school" in the pixel art community. But based on what Thu said I think they are referring to the style designed to be viewed scaled up significantly, at least greater than 2x. Also the style rarely uses outlines because of the low resolution and is often mixed with NPA techniques. While that style certainly still benefits from a skilled artist, it's definitely a lot faster to design and animate simply because you're pushing way fewer pixels.

castled @ 4/8/2014 14:51 commented on WHAT DO WE WANT "Memes" WHEN DO WE WANT IT "Instead of regular science"

raccoon sord

castled @ 4/2/2014 15:09 commented on Monk w/staff

Thanks jocastus, it's funny you mention that because I was just admiring the readability of your low res sprites! I tried to outline this one in the way your's are, but the styles didn't seem to mesh well. It might be because the more realistic proportions don't work well with outlines at this size.

castled @ 3/28/2014 11:39 commented on Red Watch

His legs look too short imo. I love the colors in thie piece.

castled @ 3/11/2014 20:01 commented on Blue Heron - Game Mockup

Very interesting idea! I like the portrait in the background a lot. Edit: oh I see he's featured in your other submission :)

castled @ 3/3/2014 19:28 commented on Dungeon Mockup

Hamburger chest. I think if you defined the lighting for it, it would be fine.

I like the icons.

castled @ 2/12/2014 15:07 commented on Pyramid

I love the sense of scale here. Also the architecture + runes really remind me of the Halo games. They had a lot of architecture with these kinds of shapes and platforms, with etches of light running through them. Very inspirational!

castled @ 12/1/2013 17:23 commented on Level 5 - Desert

I agree about the palette. It looks good at first and 11 seems like plenty of colors but so many of them are similar and desaturated. It really only lends itself to backgrounds, which really shows in the beautiful backgrounds here!

castled @ 11/26/2013 15:38 commented on STAGE 1: Main Forest Tiles

Very cool, the graphical style in this scene reminds me of mega drive games.

castled @ 11/26/2013 11:28 commented on '13 Scrapbook

Wow, I'm loving so many of these. The multiple resolutions thing -- is that related at all to your workflow for making pieces? Do you draw them at a lower resolution then blow it up to flesh out the details? Maybe that would partially explain the wonderful angularity your style achieves.

castled @ 11/25/2013 13:10 commented on Witcher 2D mockup

This is awesome! I have to say, it's a shame you didn't get 1st in that compo. Your piece is technically way better than 1st and 2nd place. 5th was also very good pixel art, and didn't place as high as it should have IMO.

castled @ 11/25/2013 12:50 commented on It Came From the Medicine Cabinet

Cool pallette, I'll probably give it a shot!

Phexion, I would guess from the description that it needs to be a completely orignal made up game. Usually the challenges tend to be interpreted to the letter.

castled @ 11/18/2013 20:24 commented on Baby Murloc

I really like this little guy, great eye. IMO, it would look even better with sel-out.

castled @ 11/18/2013 18:32 commented on Tribute to Aladdin

Cool subpixeling, definitely something I want to try! I agree with Phil though, it doesn't look quite right since the starting pose is very crisp with no AA, the subpixeled breath looks a bit fuzzy. This might not be an issue at 1x zoom but when zoomed in it doesn't work as well (even the preview looks a lot better to me). Really love all your animations though, I've been studying them :)

castled @ 11/18/2013 12:01 commented on Tank

I like it a lot. It's a little bit too desaturated for me but that's personal preference.

castled @ 11/17/2013 15:29 commented on Tree golem

I think the rocks look good, very cool idea. It could use additional darker shades to give it more depth.

castled @ 11/17/2013 14:58 commented on Frost

I can't really see the effects in the picture but you must be using some non-pixel art tools for this to be 128 colors. Try to turn off any antialiasing/blurring effect on your pencil tool.

castled @ 11/16/2013 11:48 commented on TypeQuest: Swirly Banners

uhm, I don't think this should be marked for the weekly challenge.