Pheno @ 7/15/2018 20:56 commented on Dust

holy shit

Pheno @ 7/4/2018 10:37 commented on Calligraphy

my arabic teacher (a man from tunisia) has told me that he can't read calligraphy without a guide. i think these capture that spirit well

Pheno @ 7/1/2018 16:49 commented on Aphrodite

tbh i just wanted to sprite a dark skinned woman with short kinky hair

Pheno @ 6/16/2018 11:02 commented on Fear...

I'm learning Arabic in college right now for fun, because I'm a linguistics geek and I was fascinated by the things I'd heard about it (emphatic consonants, triliteral roots, uvular/pharyngeal articulation). I recognized khaa' and waaw from the preview, so I took a gander and tried to make out what I could. I didn't make the connection that the little vortex was tenwin al-damm (though I should have recognized faa' vs. qaf, the dots, the dots!).

I had initially thought that shay'un was just a scribble, but I saw the fatHa shared between the two, then recognized the shiin. It took me a long time to piece together the yaa', but I eventually managed it once I recognized the hamza after it.

With regards to actually speaking Arabic, I don't find it that difficult other than pronunciation, because it kind of feels like you're speaking in four-wheel drive.

Pheno @ 6/15/2018 19:59 commented on Fear...

Can't tell if the top text says "khawq" or "khawf." I'm pretty sure the bottom says "shay'," or "thing," though.

Pheno @ 5/24/2018 23:42 commented on Artan Cliffs

It's not about color restrictions, it's about using tools that don't offer control at the pixel level. You, the creator, do not control how the gradient looks at the pixel level, so it's considered NPA.

Pheno @ 5/24/2018 17:02 commented on Artan Cliffs

Yeah, the gradient makes this NPA. Also, no reason to have it zoomed in this much, PixelJoint has a built-in zoom function.

Pheno @ 5/23/2018 13:20 commented on Khajiit Portrait

really cool and impressive lightplay. i'm not sure how i feel about the entire fields of dithering; i know the goal is creating texture, but it looks more like an attempt to make additional colors. even if i think it is a bit overutilized, the dithering is well-utilized, and i can tell you used it conscientiously.

i guess the biggest complaint is just that the background looks really unfinished, with lots of jaggies in the clouds. i also think the blue clouds hinder the composition just a little (maybe move it so it's in line with the eyes?)

Pheno @ 5/23/2018 13:15 commented on The gift

good tech and good clusters, particularly on the torches. you don't need the palette there.

Pheno @ 5/20/2018 20:51 commented on 4Orcs

holy fuck this is cash

Pheno @ 5/18/2018 11:57 commented on Hit & Run Tank

Really dig the angle, the detail, everything. The illusionism is really great.

Pheno @ 5/10/2018 15:22 commented on Home

I don't know why only the preview got submitted, I'd have to refer to people more knowledgeable about how this site works for that. The whole deal with "pixelizing" painted work, however, isn't good praxis for works you're going to post on this website. You should be using binary tools and paying attention to placement of individual pixels.

Pheno @ 5/10/2018 09:56 commented on Conlang

This is much better to look at. And cool, I'm interested to see where it goes.

Pheno @ 5/9/2018 20:01 commented on Daft, 200x200

pretty sick, dude. i like the dither-anti-aliasing on the right one's ear thing (don't know their names lol). the luminous effects on the top part of the left one are also really well-executed. the bottom parts of their helmets lose a bit of believability, but still a solid piece.

Pheno @ 5/9/2018 19:58 commented on Dude with shades

lol "triggered" jokes

for some reason this reminds me a lot of the pixeljoint avatar. i won't comment on that and instead i'll say that i really like the hair texture, it's very convincing. the dithering under the chin is probably not necessary.

Pheno @ 5/9/2018 19:57 commented on Sunflower in spring

digging the background. looks almost like it's a frame of an animation, and my eyes keep tricking me.

Pheno @ 5/9/2018 19:55 commented on Home

there are a bunch of individual shades of black in the large silhouette in the foreground that make me wonder, did you place those intentionally or did you accidentally save this as a jpg? this doesn't have some of the other calling cards of jpg compression, so i'm led to believe the former. i would advise paying closer attention to your palette and seeing what colors you need, because the intricate noise on the silhouette is a bunch of effort wasted if the viewer can't perceive the difference. i do like this composition, though. i find it interesting and it has a definite direction to it. hope to see more scenes from you.

Pheno @ 5/9/2018 19:47 commented on Conlang

this is a little hard on the eyes because of the "faded" anti-aliasing. i feel like you could achieve a cleaner, easier-to-read result in only two or three colors (background included). conlanging is cool, though, is this a syllabary?

Pheno @ 11/24/2017 09:57 commented on Borealopelta

Brings to mind the masterpieces of Elk. It's so gorgeous.

Pheno @ 10/13/2017 18:52 commented on The Gather (inspired by Frankie's WeekendRPG)

Sexy palette and clusters.

Pheno @ 10/3/2017 06:50 commented on October Dragon Girl

I'm such a sucker for cyan and magenta together. What nice work.

Pheno @ 10/1/2017 13:46 commented on Heavy weapons beard

Where'd his ammo belt go?

Pheno @ 10/1/2017 09:35 commented on Don't Lose the Beard

Tiled look gives me mrmo vibes. I love the colors, and you completely fooled me with the inverted preview.

Pheno @ 9/28/2017 09:09 commented on Empress of Tomorrow

Great shading, particularly on the ruff and her midsection. The anti-aliasing is good in some places and questionable in others; a good idea to keep in mind is consistent width. It takes some trial and error, and your eye will get better with time, but try to design your AA to preserve the shape you intend your design to take. With high contrast like that of the blue patch of hair, you want to make sure that the bright parts are not broken by the darker parts, as that will ruin the smoothness you're going for.

Good piece overall. I like it a lot.

Pheno @ 9/17/2017 15:09 commented on Teletext City

Yeah, you must have checked the box that said "submit this to this week's challenge." Just edit and uncheck that box.