Phantos @ 2/12/2015 07:55 commented on Zenoxeus

I see a lot of influences here. Fez, Cave Story, maybe even a bit of early Sonice the Hedgehog stage design. Kind of cool.

Phantos @ 2/12/2015 07:53 commented on LOZ Inspired tileset

I'm surprised there aren't more games out there that crib the top-down "Minish Cap" look, because it seems like a good compromise between aesthetically-pleasing and practical.

Phantos @ 1/12/2014 04:24 commented on link

I think the tunic might be a little too dark compared to the arms, but this is still a cute sprite.

Phantos @ 1/9/2014 13:14 commented on Pillage Fort Noob

...So, it's Terraria?

Phantos @ 1/6/2014 03:36 commented on Dood, Forever Dancing

This is actually rather uplifting. It's nice to know we don't have to put any real thought or effort into pixel art anymore.

Phantos @ 12/27/2013 04:33 commented on GBA Mockup

A colourful blend of the art styles of games like Minish Cap and Sword of Mana. I'm impressed!

Phantos @ 9/21/2013 10:04 commented on Blowhard 2: Blow Harder

I'm a sucker for top-down game screenshot pixel art. But I don't see a lot of them being tackled under more retro colour constraints. This has just the right balance of detail to simplicity. It reads well enough that I know what everything is supposed to be.

Phantos @ 9/21/2013 10:04 commented on 001

I like everything about this. The shapes, the colour pallette. It's adorable from top to bottom. I hope we get to see Squirtle soon.

Phantos @ 8/21/2013 15:23 commented on Thrusto Cast

...It's a girl. In a school-uniform. And she's not wearing glasses.

The robot has one big unicycle wheel, the yellow parts are grabby metal claws.

The "wizard" is God, and the "tiara" are big, fluffy eyebrows.

The creature is a Kappa, with her leafy hair pointed up in spikes.

Phantos @ 8/6/2013 23:57 commented on Thrusto Cast

I don't know what to tell you. The character sprites aren't cluttered or complicated. I'm not sure how you're having a hard time reading the details.

I do agree aboout the background, though. It was a last-minute choice, but I agree now that it was probably unnecessary.

Phantos @ 5/5/2013 01:56 commented on Amalda

You know your way around the FE portrait style. I'm impressed.

Phantos @ 4/23/2013 19:36 commented on Elk's Forest Of Desolation

I dig how the mountain sillhouettes in the back almost look like another giant.

I don't think there's a single wrong pixel in this.

Phantos @ 4/20/2013 14:52 commented on Cave

You've got a good eye for contrast, especially with the pallete you chose. A lot of the stuff that tries to emulate 2D sidescrolling games I notice don't tend to take that into account. It can be so absorbing to get all of the little details right, that a lot of people forget to take into account how it will look once there are characters and objects running around on it.

Although I don't know if that's what you were going for here. Even on its' own, independent of any character sprites or objects, it looks good. It's important to know when to stop trying to add more detail before a picture gets cluttered.

Phantos @ 4/20/2013 14:44 commented on monsterz

I like how you gave the recolours some variations(like the additional spires in the fire rock monster, or the wings or the pack on the boars). It can be tempting to just switch the palletes and call it a day, but little details and differences can go a long way.

Phantos @ 4/20/2013 07:29 commented on Jed PJ Avy

Good eye on ya. I did take inspiration from Claude, and other blonde JRPG heroes. (Cloud, Dart, etc.). I miss when the main character of an RPG could be a jerk sometimes.

Phantos @ 4/19/2013 12:43 commented on GB RPG Attempt 3

I really like the minimalist style of the town. The temptation to add details would be a tough one for me to overcome, and I think you've managed to say a lot more with less. Even the old man looks like he has a definable shape to him, even though he only has one skin shade.

For the forest place, I'd consider taking another whack at the trees. They're so smooth and round, especially at the top, that they could be mistaken for boulders. The broad shapes works for man-made things, like the shop in the first pic, but for nature scenes it might be worth considering to give things a sharper, more randomized look.

Either way, colour me impressed.