blaster @ 2/12/2019 15:36 commented on my face

Impressive!

blaster @ 12/4/2018 00:15 commented on RPG Gameboy mockup

You may want to mention your reference material for this one!

blaster @ 11/12/2018 18:46 commented on The Cyan Goddess

If I were picking, it'd be this or Tree Dragon for 1st for sure. So, for my own selfish viewing pleasure, I'm also happy you went with this entry.

blaster @ 11/7/2018 15:27 commented on BattleBase

I added a little 'enlarge window' icon to show that the preview is indeed a preview. : )

Also updated the mock with some tiles I never showed off, and the game logo. Still a cluttered scene though.

blaster @ 8/28/2018 13:52 commented on Seals of Fence 2.0

excellent work!

blaster @ 6/22/2017 06:57 commented on The sun of the party

Wonderful!

blaster @ 2/21/2017 13:25 commented on Reise Portrait

Great portrait! As onilink has explained, the perhaps overzealous AA is letting this piece down in places. I'm by no means an expert in AA (I wing everything xD), but some edges are getting really blurry in places. Worst for me is the hair-to-bg transition.

blaster @ 2/7/2017 14:33 commented on Hero Adventure (previously Intellivision RPG experiment)

Excellent work!

blaster @ 2/7/2017 14:31 commented on Lunch

I was painting this at x3, and this problem is even less pronounced when you're viewing it at that size.

blaster @ 2/7/2017 14:29 commented on Lunch

@rhlstudios Thanks!

@Parker Good point. Theory was to have the eye bounce between the turret in the distance & the figure (or the figure & the edge of the foreground turret in a circular motion), but that cloud is dragging my eye right off the left edge. T_T

I tried the simplist fix: taking the clouds back one step darker on the ramp, and it looks OK. Definitely solves the focus problem. Although it also makes the palette of the image less charming and bright.

Test: https://i.imgur.com/MLzaMOB.png

Curious if anyone else has a thought or two, although I don't plan on making any big edits to this image (need to keep moving).

blaster @ 2/7/2017 13:51 commented on Tactical RPG Character Sprites

Not sure if this project came to fruition or not, sorry. I didn't do much more work on it.

blaster @ 1/21/2017 18:21 commented on Mars Templar

Just great!

blaster @ 12/29/2016 03:19 commented on Pets

Would make great dungeon crawler enemies!

blaster @ 4/13/2014 06:50 commented on girl walk

Brilliant!

blaster @ 4/11/2014 01:52 commented on 1st April Avatar

I don't think I'd be the only one interested in hearing about your process for these beauties. Please!

blaster @ 4/10/2014 02:25 commented on Tactical RPG Character Sprites

Good question! I didn't decide it, and didn't really think about it.

blaster @ 4/9/2014 04:34 commented on 1st April Avatar

Pink and green are complementary! So it's not an entirely strange choice for an accent. I've abused it a lot personally, so I might be biased, but I like it here too.

Your work reads so incredibly well at 1x resolution, something which I've struggled with so far. I gotta find a way to avoid that single pixel more often. Kudos!

blaster @ 4/9/2014 04:08 commented on Tactical RPG Character Sprites

Thanks guys!

blaster @ 4/8/2014 22:15 commented on Staryu

Brilliant piece of work, this one.

blaster @ 4/5/2014 17:21 commented on 100 Robits; Choose Your Fave

These are super neat. I choose C3!

blaster @ 4/4/2014 07:23 commented on Light
Ack! You mean I should back up that statement? Haha.
Actually, I tried typing my thoughts out, but it turned into a pretty nice example of waffling that wasn't very helpful because I don't know what I'm talking about! With that in mind:

My favourite section re:hair is the top left corner from earlobe or nose up. The curves are elegant, and there is nice variety in detail, but nothing detracting! The light is catching single hairs in a nice way that is communicating 'hair!' to me. Similarly the longer lines you've used in this area go a long way to help my imagination fill in the details as hair. I also particularly like the single pix hairs near both the ears with the subtle value shifts. But then I like those hairs in real life as well--bias.

The larger, lit, twirling sections from middle down aren't so convincing (magical/sci-fi setting aside) and the specular highlights help the hair to take on a play-dough/plastic surface at parts. This is probably also a product of the way the hair is drawn in clumps, not just a rendering thing, and since that's such an important part of the composition it wouldn't be worth changing here. But food for thought!

The hairline could also use some attention, but since it isn't a focal point here it really isn't a concern.

blaster @ 4/1/2014 18:30 commented on Light

Superb piece. I don't have a problem with the nose at all. I do have some issues with the rendering of the hair, but I also understand the sentiment that enough is enough!

I've never been to a demoparty, (nothing of the sort in NZ) but I've admired the scene from abroad since being dazzled by all the intros for the games we had on our amiga when I was a kid. Jealous!

blaster @ 3/30/2014 03:39 commented on Self Portrait 15/04/2013

Great command of pixels! A lot of information packed in there.

blaster @ 3/30/2014 03:14 commented on Mock Dungeon Crawler

Thanks guys!

@Stitchy: Thanks for that. I'll keep those details in mind, along with the other things people have mentioned here, when I revise this sometime during the week.

@sormi: I can kind of understand why games of this nature typically featured little to no environment variation and palette swapped, non-animated enemies... but I would still like to make this one somehow!

blaster @ 3/27/2014 16:37 commented on Big Bird

Regardless of correct context, that gif is great.

Speaking of gifs, I just changed the preview gif of my dungeon mock. It's under 10KB, but still doesn't display on the front page for me.

Is it just me?