Blackbeltdude @ 12/1/2015 20:20 commented on Doll-MaidBot

Super awesome way to celebrate a super awesome guy!

Blackbeltdude @ 8/30/2015 10:38 commented on Project Exorcist Background Trial

Really great work. :)

Reminds me of Muramasa Demon Blade's background compositions. :)

Blackbeltdude @ 7/26/2015 16:29 commented on Dancing snader

When I loaded the site, I thought it was actually some kind of CSS or Javascript Error.

I'm not too crazy about the small header, and then a very large chunk of vertical space (then ads) and then I get to the news feed.

And, as nice as the hall of fame is and even the weekly showcase, I don't think they should have the same kind of priority as "new pixel art" should. The old design was better in this regard, because when you loaded the site up, you saw the newest PA gallery load first, then it faded over to Weekly, and then HoF. I thought this was a good compromise for content that was probably best looked up, while promoting content that was more relevent since it was new. I'd say switching back to the old "slideshow" would be better for the space and the content.

I also agree with the idea of widening the main container. It's currently at 990px and has a min-width setting of 1024, which are very old old old standards in webdesign. 1200px is a little more standard today because most people have larger monitors. Either way, the site is responsive now, so it should be really simple to set this up.

Also, currently, my profile's tab section is very broken. I fixed it in the developer browser though by removing the overflow CSS in ".tab-holder div.tab-panel" located on line 578 on CSS v3. Right now Overflow is set to "hidden" which wrecks the layout there. Removing it didn't seem to mess anything else up, but I didn't test it too much.

A quick suggestion about mobile as well; you should set it up so the rating buttons get larger when the screen size is smaller. Buttons in general should do this, but these especially for functionality.

Please let me know if you guys want a hand with any of this stuff, as I do web design stuff pretty often. :)

Blackbeltdude @ 1/21/2015 23:34 commented on crusaders quest yeowoodong

Like Manupix pointed out, that's a ton of extra colors! Looks like you could optimize the pallett pretty easily though.

While I don't think that it was 100% hand-pixelled, I think there's very clearly a strong level of skill/artistry in the work regardless. I can't say that this bothers me. The lines are well done, has a nice design and the shading is competent... It's also in a pretty convincing sprite style.

I think it still feels like pixel art, even if the color count is super high.

Blackbeltdude @ 12/6/2014 15:32 commented on Kassidy Idle

The bouncing of her breasts is a little bit distracting. Partly because they're moving too much, and also because they're not moving according to how her body is moving.

Actually, the real problem is probably more because they're the only secondary animation happening when her hair and clothes aren't moving.

If you really want them to bounce, then you should make it more sutble and you should probably animate the other things like hair an clothes.

Blackbeltdude @ 11/19/2014 14:01 commented on Zombie Woman

I think I saw a news story about this game last week on the web.

Looks great! Best of luck you guys! :)

Blackbeltdude @ 11/18/2014 15:14 commented on Big Bird

Yeah, Jal, between you and Jeremy, my question has been answered. :)

Blackbeltdude @ 11/17/2014 09:56 commented on Big Bird

Actually, there wasn't a link that got me to Big Bird. I had to search for it via the search bar on the site.

I have a feeling that if you search my posts, any of the things that I post in chatbox will say that it was posted in "Big Bird" but Big Bird (unlike other pieces in the gallery) won't be a link. This is atleast how your comments are working for me, Jal.

It's an oddity.

Blackbeltdude @ 11/17/2014 08:47 commented on Big Bird

So I don't know what's causing this, but I saw Jal post a comment or two about file sizes on some pieces, so I decided to check out his comments to see how often he was doing this, when, etc.

Then I saw these fun little philosophical comments and I wanted to read the whole thread, but it said that these comments were all made in, "Big Bird." And it looks like it's been going on for a while, since Tomic's post there made a note of it back in 2006.

So does anyone know why this happens? :P

Blackbeltdude @ 11/12/2014 16:53 commented on Zero? Zero.

Looks pretty good!

Only thing I don't like is how his hair moves. It isn't moving with his breathing and is moving more like it's a tail or something. In Zero's case, I think this is when you want to do a "less is more approch" to his hair for this animation.

Blackbeltdude @ 10/6/2014 14:07 commented on Little Vader [Glow]

Sure, I'm interested in critiquing it a bit, but I'm sure other people are too. I'd recomend just posting it in your gallery to get some extra opinions. It never hurts.

Blackbeltdude @ 10/6/2014 07:17 commented on Army Base and Night City levels mockup

This is very clearly not ripped from Megaman Zero, Caca.

I think the presentation of these backgrounds is better now, Sohei. Great job again! :)

Blackbeltdude @ 10/6/2014 07:11 commented on Little Vader [Glow]

Regardless as to whether or not 7even meant that literally or figuratively, the point still stands that the main character’s animations aren’t unique and aren’t doing anything that helps define your character’s personality.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought you might have been editing over some MMZ sprites too. I checked out some sprite sheets and I didn’t see anything glaring, so I figured that you over-referenced. It can also get to a point were, even if you didn’t literally edit sprites, the end result is so similar that it doesn’t matter.

Your over-referencing essentially creates a “skin” for Zero, so anyone who’s played those games (IE, your main demographic), is going to find the character animations boring. In a game like this, you want the gameplay to be familiar, but the aesthetic is what needs to be fresh.

You’ve also created a degree of style clash within your own character and sprite designs, because the enemies just don’t match the character sprite. The character is much more detailed over all, and uses very different design principles, compared to the Halo-like enemies.

Anyone who’s taking the time to comment wants to help you and your project, so I’d suggest posting your work on the gallery for some useful crit and as a way to further promote your Kickstarter.

Blackbeltdude @ 10/4/2014 12:45 commented on Army Base and Night City levels mockup

These backgrounds look great!

I think they'd actually have a better presentation without the character in them (mainly because the character isn't doing anything, and it isn't  your work anyhow).

Only suggestion I'd have is for the city to have some futuristic cards flying around in the background to help with the idea that it's "alive." :)

Blackbeltdude @ 10/4/2014 12:40 commented on Little Vader [Glow]

I don't know if I'd say that it lacks originality... I think it has a very snug fit in the "Megaman Genre" that it's going for though. Some people just want that kind of familiarity.

Though, I think the main character's design and animations probably play into the "lack of originality" more than the concept. The backgrounds that Sohei posted are really fantastic, and have a great sense of atmosphere, but the character designs and animations fail to really fit into that same world (mainly because they're so heavily refrenced from Megaman Zero/ZX).

If Mr. Special posts the animations, I'll crit them then. Regardless, good luck!

Blackbeltdude @ 9/22/2014 12:44 commented on Rabbit

His left hand going behind his body is kind of funny, because it shows up between his legs, and just enough so that it looks like it might be his genitals. That fact that he's wearing shorts kind of helps with this illusion.

Blackbeltdude @ 8/14/2014 21:31 commented on Little Han

To be fair, I think it depends on the scope of the project as to weather or not you should be paid a portion up front or not. Something that's long term, and going to take more than a few hours to complete should result in some payments up front or as you complete the work. But things that are quick and dirty don't always need to be done that way. Otherwise, the project starts to be really hard to work on since you're not getting paid in proportion to the time spent on it.

I think the more important thing to keep in mind, is that once you create something, you're the one who has the rights to your work (until you transfer them over). In fact, payment isn't automatically how rights are transferred over unless your invoices have some kind of copyright transfer on it (or a contract outlined payment details as rights transferred). This is usually the only silver lining in the cases were you spend a ton of time on something an not get paid for it, because you could still be in a position were you can reuse the assets or sell them off.

Blackbeltdude @ 8/14/2014 10:37 commented on Little Han

That sucks!

He still should pay you since you spent 6 hours; you might as well send him an invoice either way.

I've had kind of a similar thing happen to me before, where a client didn't/wouldn't pay me for the hours and hours worth of work I did for him. If you really want to get him back, I recomend you do what I did.

Posting the work I did here and telling the story in my gallery has paid off for me and other people. Now if you Google "Mike Dellow," my piece shows up on the first page. This had lead to at least two people contacting me and saying thanks for the warning.

It sucks that this happened to you, but just be glad it wasn't more than 6 hours and that you've learned a good lesson from it all.

Blackbeltdude @ 8/11/2014 09:18 commented on Fairy

Thanks a ton for posting the story! :)

And thanks for all the positive words! :)

This version is actually different from the PSM/Vita version. I didn't work on that version of the game; just this one. This new version has a lot more stages, more enemies, and a number of other changes. So if you liked the PSM version, I recomend playing the newest one too. :)

Blackbeltdude @ 8/6/2014 12:26 commented on Genesis: Stage 8

That's a pretty good point! I changed the preview to be a little more descriptive. :) Thanks!

Blackbeltdude @ 8/2/2014 09:31 commented on Amiga: Stage 7

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

adamSrgnt: Yes, this uses a lot of the same tiles as that piece does, but there's a bit of a story behind that of course. If you read the descriptions of each piece, that should clear it up. I did try to make sure that when I posted this, it wouldn't use too many of the same tiles that the other one uses.

AirStyle: That's a fair point to make. Though, the whole thing is a big fantasy world, so maybe it's a "magic" tree or something. It's possible that it would feel a little less "off" if you play the stage in the game though, since it's laid out with an idea of visual progression in mind.

Zizka and Friend: Yeah, the preview probably is a little misleading, haha. But I also thought the waterfall animation was the most substantial part of the new tile work for the stage. They way they're used in the actual stage is really fun and I would recomend trying to play through that stage if you guys get a chance to download the game. :)

Blackbeltdude @ 8/1/2014 11:17 commented on Don't Work With Mike Dellow

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! :)

I did happen to finally sell these graphics recently! Anyone who's interested can check out the details here.

Blackbeltdude @ 4/25/2014 11:12 commented on Mini Darth

I think cure summed the news up perfectly. :)

I'm willing to bet Warhol didn't care much for the results of these pieces he did, which is why he never mentioned them. If he actually liked them, he probably would have put them out there.

Really interesting point about the Venus artwork, vrizoud! Considering that most of Warhol's works had approprated images in them, I'm not too surprised.

Blackbeltdude @ 2/26/2014 09:18 commented on Happy Birthday Jalonso!

Great idea, Flyguy. :)

Happy birthday, Jal! I owe you lots of pixel cakes!

Blackbeltdude @ 1/16/2014 14:52 commented on Mimi Tachikawa

Wow, this sounds awesome!