Indigo @ 11/28/2016 23:21 commented on Another old mockup for platform rpg

it's these sort of "disagreeable" choices that truly make for the most unique aesthetics.  Never seen anything quite like this, and I love it.  The FG and BG don't do the Mid-ground justice though IMO

Indigo @ 11/26/2016 19:58 commented on Valley backdrop.

looks lovely helm

Indigo @ 9/13/2016 15:36 commented on Kargath

great work!  super dynamic

Indigo @ 7/18/2016 20:42 commented on Eagle Island BGs

Absolutely delicious.  Very impressive work

Indigo @ 5/2/2016 20:25 commented on Hexquisite 03

definitely some of my favorites from the activity.  I especially love the iso stone gate

Indigo @ 5/2/2016 16:23 commented on Keep

Looks really great.  Love the hue contrast between the foreground and background bricks

Indigo @ 2/22/2016 16:42 commented on Big Bird

Thanks guys.  Yeah our servers have been going nuts recently.  sorry about that!

Indigo @ 2/11/2016 20:04 commented on If only you could see...

Pixelation is back up

Indigo @ 2/11/2016 20:03 commented on Big Bird

Pixelation is back up

Indigo @ 2/7/2016 12:14 commented on Big Bird

A bunch of new tiles became available at the Hexquisite Collab at Pixelation.  Claim them while they're hot!

Indigo @ 2/5/2016 15:11 commented on Big Bird

Hexquisite Corpse 3 is now running at pixelation.  Feel free to join in.  http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=19566.0

Indigo @ 9/28/2015 14:50 commented on Waves of Time

great use of the technique!  Love it.  Only thing I'd say is that your value steps vary too much between different parts of the illustration.  I try to keep a fairly consistent distribution between my color ramps.  What I mean by this is that some elements in the forground could stand to use a few more colors

Indigo @ 8/6/2015 00:41 commented on Wyrmsun structures

instantly recognized it as warcraft 2 styling before I read your description.  very well done!

Indigo @ 7/29/2015 14:16 commented on Desert Tiles

gorgeous, man

Indigo @ 8/14/2014 21:03 commented on Little Han

I'm not in agreement in something like this being posted publicly on the front page.  His management style, although annoying, is not a crime or reason to shame him.  This happens.  It's up to the artists to screen who their clients are and deal with it when things aren't great.  It's also something that sometimes you just have to deal with in order to bring home the bacon.

As far as the not paying you for your time... That's not so great at all and paying you would without a doubt be the right thing to do.  But i'll play devil's advocate for a moment.  6 hours into a project is not much.  I've done quite a number of art tests for employers free of charge because it not only helps them to see if i'm a great fit for the project, but also gives me a feel for what I'm getting myself into.  Granted this wasn't expressed as a test (by the sounds of it anyway), but in the end I wouldn't be too bothered by a loss of 6 hours in comparason to having worked weeks.  Better to find out sooner than later that things aren't going to work out.

EDIT:

one other note... all the suggestions to be paid upfront?  Really that's dangerous territory.  It sends off red flags for employers and results in situations like this one: http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=8561.0  I never ask for payment upfront and I don't have any problem getting paid these days.  For higher risk clients, the most I would suggest is 50% upfront and 50% upon completion - because, in a realistic sense, you are both a high risk for eachother.

Indigo @ 4/14/2014 03:29 commented on Big Bird

I'm not sure if I understand your point.  The idea of clusters wasn't whether you should use them or not (Because, as you say, they exist inherently regardless), but rather how to use GOOD clusters over bad ones; Clusters that infer form the best.

Indigo @ 4/14/2014 01:22 commented on Big Bird

From what I recall from that thread - they weren't trying to make it a rule to have no single pixels, but rather it was an exercize in thought about creating pixel art without them.  It made you focus more attentively to the "clustering" of the image.  I thought it was a good exercize but I sure hope it doesn't become the "new thing"

Indigo @ 4/14/2014 01:00 commented on Big Bird

pixel-elites have always loved making up new terms for things.  Pillow-shading, Sel-out, interlaced dithering, clusters, even index painting is a modern term I believe.  It always has bothered me a bit too, at least when there was an invented term that didn't really serve a purpose - or in some cases even serving a negative purpose.  The best example of this was Sel-out.  The very existance of the term perpetuated the behavior.  The term didn't need to exist - it was simply either bad-AA or AA to a darker background color that was excluded from the piece.

I'm not sure how I feel about "cluster".  I guess I do feel it serves a purpose as there is no other way to communicate the idea that I can think of.

Indigo @ 4/14/2014 00:44 commented on Big Bird

I suppose those can get by on a "don't ask don't tell" case by case basis provided it's obvious to be following good form.  Much of the stuff I'm using index painting on in Chasm is absolutely indecernable from the stuff I do manually because I still go over everything with a fine-tooth comb.

Indigo @ 4/14/2014 00:41 commented on Big Bird

@cure, AMEN.  I'm totally fine with PJ setting submission guidelines that don't align with any definition of pixel art.  Indeed the concern I had was the implications of it - essentially dictating what was and what was not considered pixel art.  The problem with index painting is it can blur the line so greatly between the pixel art world and the CG painting world that it's dangerous to allow it.  It would just become too difficult to draw a line between what could be submitted or not to the gallery.

But at the same time It's a bit disappointing to not allow for such tools because those who still adhere to good pixel technique in the end are blocked from sharing their work.

Indigo @ 2/15/2014 14:36 commented on dead end

This is truly amazing stuff - and I don't say this lightly.  You've truly crossed a threshold with this work.  Super impressive

Indigo @ 12/31/2013 22:21 commented on Experimental

never thought about doing pixels like that even though that's how I CG paint.  Really cool idea.  the result is nice too

Indigo @ 12/29/2013 19:06 commented on RPG Nymph

a source to what exactly Dawnbringer's 32 color palette is would be appreciated.  I'm assuming if I don't know, then many others wont either.

Indigo @ 5/28/2013 23:44 commented on liondog

really great piece

Indigo @ 1/24/2013 01:21 commented on Cheetah men remake

I absolutely LOVE the characters and the bottom half of the image in general - though I think the rendering and palette of the rocks/water is clashing with the rest of the image which is a lot tighter.  I'd probably give original colors to the roots, make the water a bit more saturated blue to match the style of the grass, and remove that lightest color you're using on the rocks (recycled from the water?) all together - maybe use something a bit more toned down there.  Anyhow, excellent stuff snake!