Resources and Support
 Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: New tool: JavaScript-based GIF animation player Post Reply Post New Topic
1ucas
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote 1ucas Replybullet Topic: New tool: JavaScript-based GIF animation player
    Posted: 10 April 2010 at 4:58pm
One of the problems with animated GIFs is that we can't just stop them in the browser and play them frame by frame. It is very cumbersome when someone posts an animation and we have to save it and open it locally in order to analyze it.

Well, I created this little tool to help us with that. It's entirely based on JavaScript and some server-side processing of GIF files. The whole thing is cached, too, so it should be really fast once the first person processes a GIF file. The usage in a page is completely unobtrusive and simple and will work with any GIF file in any server, as long as it is below 1 MB in size.

Here's a test page

Here's a link to a quick input form for the tool

Now, I'm not sure if the admins here would like to implement this, but I think it would be very neat and useful for us. I'll also try to integrate it with the zoom feature soon, and I'm working on a few extra ideas (hotlinking to specific frames, etc.)

Either way, it should be possible to use it as a GreaseMonkey/UserJS script to whoever is interested.

Also, notice there are still some minor bugs in processing the frames (Fool's dog disappears for a few frames, I'm still trying to figure that out).

Suggestions are welcomed!

Edited by 1ucas - 10 April 2010 at 7:51pm
IP IP Logged
Hatch
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Hatch Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2010 at 6:20pm
I'm pretty sure the bug is in Fool's animation, not your code. The frame that disappears is wholly transparent except for a few purple pixels and uses the replace disposal method, so it seems you're displaying it accurately. Though I'm not sure why the animation doesn't flicker there if that's the case....

Anyhoo, that brings me to my feature request: would it be possible to show the disposal method and delay for each frame?

Edited by Hatch - 10 April 2010 at 6:20pm
IP IP Logged
1ucas
Commander
Commander

Quote 1ucas Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2010 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Hatch

I'm pretty sure the bug is in Fool's animation, not your code. The frame that disappears is wholly transparent except for a few purple pixels and uses the replace disposal method, so it seems you're displaying it accurately. Though I'm not sure why the animation doesn't flicker there if that's the case....Anyhoo, that brings me to my feature request: would it be possible to show the disposal method and delay for each frame?

Yeah, it's a really weird use of the "revert to background color" disposal method. It works everywhere else besides that one time. Browsers don't seem to have a problem displaying it, though, so I'm sure it's some sort of quirk I forgot to consider. The specs are really vague on the matter, unfortunetly.

I'm already working on the frame information (delay and hot linking stuff), so that's just a matter of time. I don't see any use for displaying the disposal method, though, since it's really just an optimization trick, and each software will deal with it their own way. Why do you think that would be useful?
IP IP Logged
1ucas
Commander
Commander

Quote 1ucas Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2010 at 6:02am
NEW UPDATE!

Good news, everyone! I've worked some more on the tool and I think it's just about ready for us to use here (if the admins are up to it, that is). Here's a changelog:

• Zoom feature integration!: The tool now plays nicely with the zoom feature, working exactly the same as with the usual images! ;D

• Customization: You can setup the class name to use, URL for the skin image, the colors, position of the toolbar, hide delay, etc.

• Smaller UI: looks good enough now

• Auto image interpolation fix: The code automatically fixes the issue with image interpolation on Firefox and Internet Explorer.

• Browser support: Code now works on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer 8. If you use anything lower than IE8, f**k you.

Also, I've created some quick aids for the viewer:

• Get all images from link referer: this link makes the viewer list all GIF files in the refering page (originating page), for convenience.

• Viewer now includes zoom: Images in the viewer have the zoom feature enabled by default.

• Get all images by URL: you can pass a page's url as a parameter, like this

• Link to an image directly: like this

• Bookmarklet!: Check the bottom of viewer for a handy bookmarklet to submit the current page to the viewer.

Well, that's it for now! Got a few more ideas to implement, but this is good enough to go!

Again, don't refrain from posting any comments, bugs and suggestions. Cheers!

Edited by 1ucas - 15 April 2010 at 6:02am
IP IP Logged
Hatch
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Hatch Replybullet Posted: 16 April 2010 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by 1ucas

I don't see any use for displaying the disposal method, though, since it's really just an optimization trick, and each software will deal with it their own way. Why do you think that would be useful?

Mm, makes sense. I retract my request!

Anyhoo, new version's looking great! Thanks for writing it.
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2010 at 3:22pm
Awesome tool!

Would it be possible to display frametime next to each frame?
IP IP Logged
1ucas
Commander
Commander

Quote 1ucas Replybullet Posted: 17 April 2010 at 6:19pm
Yep, Manupix. That feature's coming in the next update. :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version