WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Isometric Perspective Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Cyangmou
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Cyangmou Replybullet Posted: 15 September 2011 at 2:54pm
keep in mind that you have to change the position of the orange stripe in frame 5 6 and 7 (at th moment it's just mirrored)
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 15 September 2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Cyangmou

keep in mind that you have to change the position of the orange stripe in frame 5 6 and 7 (at th moment it's just mirrored)

yes thats correct and the shadows will need to be changed also. I havent updated them (I only update them when I add changes, and mirror it). Its just for me to get more of a complete image of the mech. To see if things work and to see what I still need to do.

But thanks I guess it could have been forgotten, but in this case I havent got to the point yet as the views I flipped itself arent even finished yet. When I finish those I will flip them again and recolour for the light and shadows.

Been working hard on fixing the shapes to all become as exact as possible. Like the anatomy for each of them to match each other. Dont know if that makes any sence.

Everyone has been really helpfull so far I cant express how awsome community Pixel Joint is but I'm defenitly gonna stick around here to one day become as sick as some of you guys!
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2011 at 2:10am
Man the perspective is still killing me!! updated the last pic I did on page 1
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2011 at 8:22am
Ive been thinking about the articulation..

1. Under the hood
2. The leg joint that makes the leg able to move and turn back and forward
3. The top of the bar under the round leg joint will end up at this hight with a flat top
4.  The end of these legs have a small cillinder, wich makes it able to extend a little, and move back once it hits the ground (suspension).
5. The leg and feet would pretty much end up 100% horizontally.. wich looks weird, but if the toes (and possibly the foot) move down like a birds feet and toes it will look awsome. Beside, theres alot of room for those toes to move this way!

Didnt really know what to do with the views today. Worked this out and by the replies in this thread so far I tought some of you might find this info interesting and/or usefull.

Edited by Qemist - 17 September 2011 at 8:29am
IP IP Logged
ChrisButton
Commander
Commander

Quote ChrisButton Replybullet Posted: 17 September 2011 at 6:41pm
Ohh, I forgot about this thread.

It's good to see that you've tweaked your walk cycle (the treadmill), but
there's still a greater way to animate something. If you're going to
animate a walk cycle, animate it walking - but NOT on the spot, it makes
life incredibly difficult. All animators I know swear by this technique,
(myself, my classmates, my teachers, etc) when opposed to animating
walk cycles on the spot.

Once you've managed to get a good walk cycle out of him walking across
the screen, that is when you put every frame directly on top of each other.
Make sence? Hope I helped and sorry for the super late reply.

IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 18 September 2011 at 3:01am
Hey Chris,

thanks for your reply. Is this replying to the old walking cycle I made?
So you are saying I need to make it walk, then after I did make it walk in spot? I tought there was no other way for this kind of game then to make it walk in spot and just slide it to another tile?

Im curious to see what you are on and open for any advice always :) thanks for your reply.

Edit: ah yeah.. you're saying move it forward.. then once the animation is right put it all in 1 place to use for the game.

Thanks! totally understand gonna give it a try once animation comes!

Edited by Qemist - 19 September 2011 at 1:26am
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2011 at 3:01am
I was really unsatisfied with the model for some reason I felt it was flat and boring.

After messing alot I got it to look way more 3Dish with better lightning and shadows. Still a WIP. the one facing backwards I didnt work out as much detail yet but overall the lightsource is the same.

This time I went for a more messy start with the colouring method people use instead of starting with lines. This worked well for me as I allready had the colours from the last mech and edited it into this. Originally the  thing was gonna have alot of curves but after all the edits I made on the views it turned out with alot of straight lines. I dislike that altough I do like clean stuff. Check it out:

Edit: Replaced with image that contains all wip angles I got so far (+ flipped without lightning edit)

Edited by Qemist - 19 September 2011 at 10:41am
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 19 September 2011 at 2:39pm
so far the back and front view have been the hardest for me to do.. again with the edited variant I cant get them to look cool. Any ideas? Feel free to help by doing a little edit too its all cool.

Made a quick riotation spin to double check on sizes etc. The back one is most obvious of kneeling down but I have no idea what to extend to make it look better??

IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:53am
Excellent thread. Now there still are black outlines inside the sprite. I'd remove them completely. And add some details, like dirt, decorations or bullet holes/other damage.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2011 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Gecimen

Excellent thread. Now there still are black outlines inside the sprite. I'd remove them completely. And add some details, like dirt, decorations or bullet holes/other damage.

I didnt know this was actually a excellent thread but thanks for the compliment! To me it looks more like a junkyard with all the crap I put out so far haha

Im aware of the black outlines and all of the new views still need to be finished (including the one that looks pretty good). My main concern is the shapes when it comes to isometry. Are they acurate? Im having trouble with the back view if it needs to stand on the same tile, it will look like its smaller. Maybe its the legs, but how to fix them to look good? Been trying for a while now and just like last time I cant do it right.

Front view is also something Ive been struggeling with to get the same depth into it. Compared to the other sides this looks rather weird and inacurate.

Wich is what I would like to hear solutions for fixing it. So I know the designs can be better, but before polishing it like a mad man I want to get this all to be acurate. I'd love to add some mounted armor plates and such but with the perspective problem I think its hard enough as it is for now. Adding more detail is just gonna make me more

Right now I'm just working on the code a bit and hopefully when I return to it I can see whats off..

Edit: for fun I just put all the concepts next to each other and think in the last 30 days I think I learned alot and am doing perhaps better then I feel.

Edited by Qemist - 21 September 2011 at 4:53am
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:48pm
I say leave it clean and sexy, without adding too much texture to it. At this scale, clan markings and bullet holes will be hard to do well.

I do hope you're planning to do some more work on the feet, to show how the joints work. Also, I think the guns look a bit strange. I do realize it's hard to do cylinder shapes of varying thickness at this scale, but right now the guns look a bit bent.

Other than that, I think the shape of the Vulture looks great. This must have been a lot of work.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2011 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by CELS

I say leave it clean and sexy, without adding too much texture to it. At this scale, clan markings and bullet holes will be hard to do well.

I do hope you're planning to do some more work on the feet, to show how the joints work. Also, I think the guns look a bit strange. I do realize it's hard to do cylinder shapes of varying thickness at this scale, but right now the guns look a bit bent.

Other than that, I think the shape of the Vulture looks great. This must have been a lot of work.

Thanks! It sure has been a lot of work so far! The guns are tempolary, I want them to be bigger in width and have some sort of crystal ball in it.

Ive started on the animation of the best looking view just because I didnt make any progress on the angles today. Its work in progress and the legs are wireframes I drew quickly and started to improve but not perfect yet at all! Its also pretty fast moving and only has a few frames. Need time to improve it but take a quick peek :)

sneaky edit: forgot to mention alot of the work for the animation I did was create folders within photoshop with all the parts split up and having their own folder. In that folder they all have their frames (so left leg folder has layers with names 1, 2 and so on. Made things alot easier to render quickly and refer to close layers and see where the leg or whatever needs to be!)

Edited by Qemist - 21 September 2011 at 3:27pm
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 21 September 2011 at 4:39pm

I beg to differ. This is quite a large piece and it looks empty at the moment. I can forsee how it can become amazing with some textures on it.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Gecimen

I beg to differ. This is quite a large piece and it looks empty at the moment. I can forsee how it can become amazing with some textures on it.

Hes saying its not unpossible, but its hard to do. So hes stimulating my progress by saying leave it for now, as it can always be done later. And who knows time will tell.
IP IP Logged
mase0ne
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote mase0ne Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 10:32am
I keep seeing the larger section in front of the cockpit as the cockpit.  It would reduce the scale significantly, but I think it'd look a lot better, and would address some of the balance issues.  Also, if this thing swivels, the operator should be as close to the pivot point as possible to reduce the G's involved.
For the texturing, it'd be awesome if the sprite degraded as the health went down.  I love when games do that.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 10:55am
Hey Mase,

I have the same thing.. it might be the round yellow/orange thing at the front that makes it feel like that. Honestly, I have no idea where its going right now but I do know that:

1. It wasnt intended to make this a mech game, but yet it should have robot movement and such.

2. My initial plan started with the name "Battle Bots".. or well.. thats the name that came up in to mind when I was thinking about the entire concept. Ofcourse, the name is way too cheesy but the concept should remain the same.

3. The idea was to make it look cartoony rather then uberrealistic. Reasons are my freedom in creativity and pixelart totally suiting the design style.

As for degrading its probably gonna be hard. Thinking about it, what wont be? haha. Obviously something that ive been thinking of so far and I'd rather keep it polished so to make it more textured that might be a cool solution.

Starting to realise if I actually get the base of this game down I might need to look into having a few people to help me out.. as all of this is so time consuming. Then again I'm relatively new to the art so maybe in the future things will be easier.

Edited by Qemist - 22 September 2011 at 10:57am
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 5:57pm
Have been watching mechs on youtube today and I think I got the wireframe movement more or less right. if I can get all the lineart to be totally acurate in angle and size to look exactly like the original leg but in a diffrent position / angle. As you can see the legjoint riotates back and forward, making the bar move up and down. Ive screenshotted the youtube videos frames and numbred them to the feet position to the frames where my feet had the same position. When I get the leg right I'll probably start on the feet as the screenshot shows how they move (really cool)

Edited by Qemist - 22 September 2011 at 8:49pm
IP IP Logged
Stratto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Stratto Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:57pm
I'd recommend you add detail on that small platform that the legs are attached to. it looks too.. simple and flat.
also, wheres the cockpit?
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 22 September 2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Stratto

I'd recommend you add detail on that small platform that the legs are attached to. it looks too.. simple and flat.
also, wheres the cockpit?

Ive explained this all earlier in the topic. The platform originally has detail but I removed it because I made the entire platform on a layer so that I can double check the sizes etc. The cockpit is on top but the yellow / orange thing on the front seems to make it look like thats the cockpit or something.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2011 at 8:39am
Riotation Test.. one big lulz 

IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2011 at 11:41am
trying to make it look more professional and keep some minimalism untill I figure out a good cockpit.

Edited by Qemist - 24 September 2011 at 1:58pm
IP IP Logged
Lathien
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Lathien Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2011 at 3:40pm
I liked where the cockpit was before. It was at the top of the head so it made sense design wise and yet it wasn't that noticeable so your eyes were drawn to the orange spheres at the front which resembled eyes. And I think that those orange spheres were the best part, it made the mech look like it could be a creature all on it's own, like it's some kind of new species of animal. And I've always loved that in mechs.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 24 September 2011 at 4:04pm
Hey Nathien thanks for replying again

Ive decided to not give it a face at this time, and add it later on when I decided what kind of "face" I should give it. Ive got ideas about the guns to have them point infront out of that shoulder thing. So I can make them deploy with opening, closing up and having the gun go out and in. That'd be sick too :) Remember its not just about this game, its about its artwork! <3 love doing pixelart again so far. I'm working on a website to hopefully find someone who knows how to code that be so great!

If not, I'll have to work on learning more myself (and I am) but its just alot of work all together. Gonna update the walking to the new improved legs wich will allow me to make turning easier, while next to that.. it looks really good too. (Thanks to Stratto because he made me realise I could improve it more then just adding shadow on it.

Forgot to mention that I put it up in my gallery as the prototype for the META4 project.

Edited by Qemist - 24 September 2011 at 4:09pm
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 25 September 2011 at 8:44am
is it true that .png makes images darker if you save on the same the file over and over? This might be the problem for my colours to act weird..
IP IP Logged
Cilein
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Cilein Replybullet Posted: 25 September 2011 at 9:31am
This has been an amazing topic so far, serious improvement with you taking on suggestions and pouring so much effort in, keep it up Qemist it's looking fantastic!
-Building an engine-
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 25 September 2011 at 2:22pm
Thanks dude! Yeah just listen to what poeple have to say one of the main reasons why I'm here right!

I'm really enjoying the project so far. Little struggle here and there but cant wait till I get some demo up and running to have some fun with. You know, designing the main game lobby and such after the basic mech can walk and all. Awsome!

I got a cool teleporter idea from glass (yes, in game it would have transparancy) that closes when you step in an activate it. A lightning would go up and down or something, once it goes up it would take away the transparancy or something

Love it, thanks again for all the replies!
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 26 September 2011 at 12:38am
Recently found a coder in real life that has the ability to support this indy game for free with educational purposes. This means him and me like to finish the walking and views soon so we can get the basics to work.

I've opened a job offering incase anyone is interested the link is here

May sound weird to some and reasonable to others but theres so much I would like to create I'm pretty sure not all would be able to get done by myself. I'll still be working on it unless I find someone I can afford thats able to do the job well.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 10 November 2011 at 6:46pm
Finally have some time on my hands. Obviously got scammed (last post, link) and felt really bad about it.

Been trying to learn the more complex style most people on here seem to have mastered, or working on mastering it.

Heres a wip of what I got:

IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:09am
Been working on 3D for a while and got back to pixel after all.

Anyone able to help me a bit with the legs? (note: other stuff then mech is not mine, but was there to give my scripter a little idea of what it would look like)

IP IP Logged
Reppis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Reppis Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:16am
Maybe you could make the legs look more like "mechanical" and add detail in where the knees are supposed to be or are the legs meant to be like without rotating knees?
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:19am
Its behind the gun for a bit (but the top is going to be able to riotate so you are going to see it)

IP IP Logged
Reppis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Reppis Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:23am
ahh, okay it's like that. Though there is something with the shadows or am I talking nonsense?
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Reppis

ahh, okay it's like that. Though there is something with the shadows or am I talking nonsense?

There is but after being at it for hours I cant tell what exaclty.
Also note the right leg (left if you are facing in the area he is) is lifting for the first step of the walkcycle.

Edited by Qemist - 18 May 2012 at 8:26am
IP IP Logged
Reppis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Reppis Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:27am
I showed it to my friend, and he says that maybe more contrast and stronger shading to the feet/legs. EDIT: like there is on the top part of the mech
For me it looks nice but I'm no expert in pixel art

Edited by Reppis - 18 May 2012 at 8:37am
IP IP Logged
Reppis
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Reppis Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:42am
The mech's upper part's left weapon looks like it's on different place than right side's. IF they are supposed to be in symmetrical positions
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 1:20am
Thanks, I will work on the lines of the shapes of the legs a bit more to hopefully be able to make use the shadow colours from the top. (it didnt look right before)

As for the guns I'm pretty sure you're right. I'll have to fix that too!

Anyone else any tips, tricks or suggestions?
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:57am

I tought maybe making them more blocky would help.. and it does a little.. but I still cant figure it out.

Anyone able to help with a edit? that'd be awsome
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:17am

working on the animation for a bit :)

Edited by Qemist - 21 May 2012 at 4:51am
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 6:01am

Progress on the project!

Ive allready split up all the old angles that I have
and currently polishing them to look like this one.

Its about 60% done!

Edited by Qemist - 27 May 2012 at 6:02am
IP IP Logged
Cheetah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Cheetah Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:08am
This is progressing well. I think the mech design would really benefit from removing the platform attached to the legs and have them connect to the body of the mech directly. There is also something about the colors on the legs compared to the mech where they aren't quite matching up.
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Cheetah

This is progressing well. I think the mech design would really benefit from removing the platform attached to the legs and have them connect to the body of the mech directly. There is also something about the colors on the legs compared to the mech where they aren't quite matching up.

Thank you for your reply!

Ive been thinking about attaching the legs to the top too but I stumbled upon some problems such as when the top turns to aim the legs dont nessesairily need to walk (or face) in that direction but if the legs would be attached to the body then it would have to.

Im messing with the colours from the bottom for a while now and I'm still not sure whats causing it either.
IP IP Logged
Cheetah
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Cheetah Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:47am
Perhaps make the platform smaller and circular instead of rectagular? I think the legs need more of the silver color, and consequencely less light highlights.
IP IP Logged
Aeranima
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Aeranima Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2012 at 8:27am
Nicely done! :) Good job people!
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2012 at 1:31pm

Full WIP sheet can be found here

Edited by Qemist - 04 June 2012 at 1:32pm
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 09 June 2012 at 5:12am
More work on the legs, lighting and placement of parts. Not sure about the weight of the mech yet (top vs bottom)
IP IP Logged
Qemist
Commander
Commander

Quote Qemist Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2012 at 2:07pm

We've paid for a freelancer to finish the job. Incase you are actually interested in playing the game we are expecting to launch around august.
You can sign up for a beta notification mail on our website METAonline.com

Thanks for all the help on this topic! Really appreciated!

Edited by Qemist - 27 June 2012 at 2:08pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version