Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 6/23/2014: Rubik's Vision Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2014 at 9:30am
First thing first.
AA is used to smooth that which pure pixels cannot do.
Ideally you want to just pixel purely and use technique variations as a last resort.

What you did in your update is cool because you used AA to correct/smooth what is 'technically' a bad line.
What I was trying to get at is that there are other options to be pure and use no technique such as  AA if you plan the of use visual tricks to work for you.
In my edit the line angles are not correct or line up at all but the grid fools the eye. I used the foreground grid or bars or whatever they are to hide every jaggy and the isolated bits you can't then hide by force. Of course the angle of the light rays will change which in this case it did not seem to matter much so its a smarter design choice. Sometimes you can't and have to AA. Its all about the pixel at hand.

Edited by jalonso - 28 June 2014 at 9:32am
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2014 at 11:48am
I see what you mean, sensei, and I saw what that was doing to my lines. I'm glad that I wasn't actually too far off what you were saying. I did try that, and I found that messed with the trajectory of the light rays too much for me. So, I went with AA. Turning all the lines into a 1:1 line with it breaking behind the bars made it change course slightly, and I wanted the light ray to appear to be expanding over time.Doing that messed with their appearance too much. However, I do like what it did the light frame (or whatever the technical phrase is; the light window). It worked with that very well.

I see what you've done, and I've already applied my personal fix to the project. I will remember what you showed me, and apply it to future pieces.

The last thing I want to cover before I stop monopolizing this forum is the finishing touches: this

I was struggling with this a lot more than I thought I would, so I wanted some feedback. I used this as a reference.
see
< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"><>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish<>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) English

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2014 at 12:04pm
There is monopolizing this forum, eva!
What is that for, the preview?
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2014 at 12:21pm
Yes, the small detail photo. As you may have well surmised, this project is...how should I say...freaking big. So I made a small one, so that it would actually show up on the front page for a while, without me having to change my avatar.

UPDATE:

I decided to do this instead:

< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"><>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish<>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish

Edited by AirStyle - 28 June 2014 at 1:38pm
IP IP Logged
frank62899
Seaman
Seaman

Quote frank62899 Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2014 at 8:02am
First time posting so i don't know how to submit this to the challenge... Anyways any directions on how to submit it would be appreciated! On to the art its supposed to be the viper from Battlestar Galactica and i think it turned out okay. Only used 8 colors.

IP IP Logged
Red-Error
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Red-Error Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by frank62899

First time posting so i don't know how to submit this to the challenge... Anyways any directions on how to submit it would be appreciated! On to the art its supposed to be the viper from Battlestar Galactica and i think it turned out okay. Only used 8 colors.

You should log-in and submit it here
http://www.pixeljoint.com
Upper-left : Gallery-> Submit Pixel-art and Check the "Submit to weekly challenge" box http://www.pixeljoint.com

Edited by Red-Error - 29 June 2014 at 12:35pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2014 at 1:17pm
@frank62899 (assuming 6/28/99 is your bday... )
Please take time to read and review the stickied posts in the resource section of the forum and the FAQ thread.
To answer your question. Read this for explanations. Notice the weekly challenge check box.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version