WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Piece Needs Revision/Tune-up Post Reply Post New Topic
GrandpuhTy
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote GrandpuhTy Replybullet Topic: Piece Needs Revision/Tune-up
    Posted: 18 April 2018 at 9:50pm
It was suggested I post this here for some help in improving it. Mind you I did this many many years ago, not any better nowadays, but I think redoing it could be a fun exercise.

What do you think? What do you suggest? No need to go easy, I'm not emotionally attached to it :P
IP IP Logged
GoodyPundit
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote GoodyPundit Replybullet Posted: 18 April 2018 at 10:58pm
First of all, maybe adding a little more detail on the object, because it's hard for me to recognize many things such as :
1.Where the character facing at
1.Weird helmet?
2.Broken glass or TV on the right?
3.Is that a sky on top right?

Good start! :)
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:15am
I agree that it is hard to tell what we're seeing. One thing that could help you is more contrast, especially between the character and the wall! Since the wall pattern is so distracting, perhaps give your character a strong outline so he stands out from it a bit more too!
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:18am
Try not to let parts of the scene brush up against the edge of the canvas, like the character's hat and the side of the painting are. These are called "tangents" and they make the scene harder to understand. Either crop through things decisively, or give them breathing room.
IP IP Logged
NancyGold
Commander
Commander

Quote NancyGold Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2018 at 6:27pm
The character looks cardboard flat, especially that tiny stripe on the right hand, and the left hand is for some reason shaded dark color. Consider doing proper shading, either simulating direct light or global illumination with self shading. The headgear doesnt read properly: what is that supposed to be? The jeans texture doesnt read properly either, at least for me. And that thing in character's hand (AVGN would likely say it is a dildo or a condone)  reads badly and isn't too contrast.

Also, last but not least, character's palette is not really exciting, I would call it bland. That may seems not important, but palette is the main part of most artworks, changing colors could change both meaning and feel.

The window (is that window?) and the skies (are they?) give me mindf**k, because building is so low and window is so high. TLDR: just look up some reference buildings. The clouds ain't too cool either, consider googling reference clouds.
IP IP Logged
GrandpuhTy
Seaman
Seaman

Quote GrandpuhTy Replybullet Posted: 06 October 2021 at 3:05pm
Alright, long time no see. Probably not going to get around to finishing the original topic's piece, so I'll just revive this thread for my future revisions.

With that being said, I've got another one here, how's this looking?
EDIT; Guy on the left is old from 2018, guy on the right is the replacement from 2021.
IP IP Logged
Maye
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Maye Replybullet Posted: 07 October 2021 at 9:05am
Try extend the mask of the guy on left to cover the neck, on this point looks like he is watching something in the sky. And add him a better pose something more dynamic.
IP IP Logged
GrandpuhTy
Seaman
Seaman

Quote GrandpuhTy Replybullet Posted: 07 October 2021 at 9:39am
My bad, I should have been a little more clear. The character on the left is the old version of the guy on the right, I'm not working on that one on the left just using it as a comparison of improvement.

Mind I haven't been spriting for the past three years since I've done the piece on the left, only about a month ago I started back up with some consistency, but I have been watching a lot of tutorials since then.
IP IP Logged
Maye
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Maye Replybullet Posted: 07 October 2021 at 12:30pm
Ohh I see now, well the only issue I can see is the position of the left hand (down). Look here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/47/ba/bb47ba9d3011b77ae93f8985e99e4d99.png

The hand need look front or up, down looks unnatural position.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version