WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: landscape [WIP] progress thread! Post Reply Post New Topic
Limes
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Limes Replybullet Topic: landscape [WIP] progress thread!
    Posted: 24 June 2020 at 8:59am
Blocking Sakura

A landscape experiment using the blocking technique

I will be posting the methods and WIP on this thread for people to enjoy and to see the process! Enjoy

A few side notes:
1:I am using Legendary pixel artist Fool's Color pallete
2:I use the side panels as a tool to show previous iterations and compare, this process Helps me get a perspective on direction. It also lets me hone in on individual area's to work on as to not get overwhelmed. Like a piece in a puzzle.

Oh yeah Feel free to take it and zoom in Criticism is very welcome. I want this one to be very epic!

ENJOY!~
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2020 at 9:19am
Done for today with this.

My thoughts...
Perhaps centering the waterfall would be a stronger composition.
Tilting the cart like its broken down and the man is getting highground, to stop and enjoy the sunrise while waiting for assistance.
Not worrying about the foreground atm, I want to get these background mountains settled in nicely and work from there.
Sky is the priority after that, which may take the longest, I want to get the best possible sunset to really tie the piece.
Playing around with the valley in the future is another idea, Double waterfall? more layers of mountains on the left to create a greater depth?

Edit:
The greens is whats really going to make this piece something to enjoy, Fool's use of the green hue's really stands out to me. I think I will spend alot of time getting the tones Just right. Perhaps the green in the background mountains is too extreme to really make the foreground Detail POP. I am very excited about this balance of Background subtlty verses the Detail in the foreground.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 24 June 2020 at 5:37pm

I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2020 at 7:05am

Changed the sky color... Don't know about this. :/ It looks better to me but I'm not sure.

Maybe I keep this colors as cloud colors and use a lighter blue for the little sky behind the clouds
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 26 June 2020 at 7:44am

Floating Islands?? cabin on floating mountain??

Update

All I'm gunna do today, I have a tile to work on also.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 27 June 2020 at 4:23pm

another edit... The direction is really starting to take shape. I'm enjoying the styleization of the rocks here I'm making, almost like a tree, and made some progress on the sky... A little.

I specifically am impressed with how the rock on the bottom(the one that's polished) meshes with the grass there at the top. Didn't even think just produced it, I've seen similar stuff from other pixel artists and I'm happy with the execution so far. Lot of work to do though.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2020 at 8:02am
EDIT 3

1: Adding wispy fog/cloud background, Want to make every individual part of the sky it's own in a sense, Whirling into the middle where a big harpy portrait will stand.
2:A cloud overlapping the sky island, if you have ever seen that pixel piece by cure with the squid I may do something with the sky popping out of the border. in reality I just don't want to pixel the bottoms of these rocks. But I guess improvisation is an artform.
3:A bright backdrop for the harpy.
4:Twisting rock formation giving the perfect spot for a harpy nest.

As this is supposed to be above the clouds, the bottom of the sky should all be puffy I will work towards perfecting this sky later.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 28 June 2020 at 2:12pm

Struggling with this face... I've Always hated drawing noses and its usually what ruins most portraits I do.

Going to opt for this second version..

The face was out of place, and the tits were too round. She looked like a pinup and out of place on a dynamic pose. Going to make it so she doesn't have arms past elbows.

I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2020 at 5:42pm
Update on the harpy!

I keep dithering the sh*t out of it... Guess I'm scared of chunks

I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:15pm

Taking a whole day on this body hard to get right.

Last update done for today.

I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:32am
Looking pretty good so far!

I've been waiting to comment until I can (hopefully) be of some use and repay some of the kindness you've shown me with your very helpful crits.

I've done a quick edit (and it really is just to show form I paid almost no attention to colour use because I don't think I can help on that front) just pulling in the left (our right) breast slightly. In your version, it moves so far out to the side that it appears a lot larger than the other one, and it obscures the side of her torso which makes it look like we're viewing her face-on rather than at an angle.

I also moved the right (our left) breast in a pixel because I thought it looked a little angular.

I altered the muscles at the top of the chest/under the arm a bit. My understanding is that the side of the pectoral muscle follows the line of the edge of the deltoid muscle, which means that it defines the front edge of the armpit. In practical terms, this means that I've continued the lines from the top edge of the breasts further and shaded in a bigger area for the armpit.

Finally, I softened the ribs very slightly. The shin and thigh look slightly thick for such a skinny torso, although you could keep the bony appearance there and maybe pull the legs in a little bit instead depending on preference. I just hoped to suggest a slight amount of fat underneath the skin but, as with everything in this edit, it's more to give an idea of how it could look rather than of the execution. I really like the shape of the legs you have at the moment, particularly the near one, so I'd be inclined to add a bit more weight to the rest of the body rather than changing the legs.
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:18pm
Ah a breast reduction. I've not much experience drawing boobs I know anime artists are usually very good at it and I'm pretty impressed with the figure's they do at times.

I agree with every bit of this crit, thanks very much. I have thought to myself that she looks like she's starving, but then I tell myself oh it's because of the pose but then going with that pose the breasts don't make sense.

About the leg's the pose I came up with to avoid any.. Well you know. and the front one is intended to be closer, so it gets larger. Although foreshortening has always been a weakness of mine. The most trouble I've had has been with the head placement, but I'll get to fixing the breasts up and try again see if I can make any sense of it.

Thanks very much again! and good luck on your work.

Here is where I'm at before reading this.

I'll update it later with response to this, today is a break day for me. I still have troubles not touching it though. Sometimes I'll walk by my computer and place a few pixels and go do something else. Patience is important with a big pixel.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
snv
Commander
Commander

Quote snv Replybullet Posted: 01 July 2020 at 6:49am
The floating island itself is not very exciting or thought inducing as of now.

You can probalby create some conflict in the piece by say creating a war on that island, or maybe two islands.
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2020 at 1:51am

The turtle wins the race.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2020 at 2:47am
Originally posted by snv

The floating island itself is not very exciting or thought inducing as of now.
You can probalby create some conflict in the piece by say creating a war on that island, or maybe two islands.

Thank you, I don't plan on creating this piece to be thought inducing. I appreciate the CC though.
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 26 December 2020 at 3:05am
Planning on fully redoing the island in that stylized rocky look :)
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version