Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: New Weekly Challenge ideas Post Reply Post New Topic
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: New Weekly Challenge ideas
    Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:49am

Do you have a perfect idea for a weekly challenge? Something that is well defined/restricted, but still open to creativity? We would love to use it!

This forum thread is for submitting an idea, or commenting with suggested improvements on others. There is no guarantee on if/when/how we might use it, to keep the upcoming challenges exciting and fair for everyone. But if "your" challenge takes place, you are of course welcome to take part too!

I'm sure many of you have also noticed that the weekly challenges are not as popular as they were a few years ago. Although they remain to be a cornerstone of the PJ community, many other platforms have popped up with pixel art challenges, and among those we would like to remain interesting and relevant to future participants.

Let us know if you have suggestions on how the weekly challenge can be improved! What kind of challenges are your favorite, what would you like to see more of?

Thank you!

IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2020 at 8:08am
Do contest winners still get to choose a theme, or are there reasons why that's no longer practical?

I'll have a think about themes later but, as a new member, the current challenge is the first one I'm going to enter. What mostly attracted me to it was the palette requirement. Looking back at older challenges, ones based on a specific palette tend to be the ones I find most interesting.

I can understand that difficult palettes may be a bit of a barrier to entry to inexperienced artists who haven't quite built up the confidence to enter, but I also think they're hugely instructive. Comparing your piece, and the way you used the colours, to works by more experienced artists is very helpful. I also think palette challenges produce a nice, unified body of work by different artists.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2020 at 12:54pm
As for contest winners choosing a theme:
I don't think many contest winners are aware of this option, and it has been a long time since we've last been contacted by a challenge winner. Probably this rule would be a lot more effective if we reach out to the winners and remind them of this, we should definitely consider that!

I find palette challenges interesting too, and they indeed often have a high amount of participants. Perhaps we could make a collection of interesting palettes in this thread?
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2020 at 8:56am
Palette challenges are great :) I also like themes that are simple and/or offer a lot of room for imagination (e.g. pixel a tree, make a game mockup etc.), and one of my favorites are those that challenge you to depict a child's drawing in your own way.
IP IP Logged
Maxiwell
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Maxiwell Replybullet Posted: 31 July 2020 at 3:42pm
I think we can try to make a challenge dedicated to the old artist who was born in the same week and his popular creation
As an example, Tove Janson (9 August, in the coming week) and Moomin troll
IP IP Logged
MalevolentMask
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote MalevolentMask Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2020 at 7:43am
Yeahhh I remember I had got first place for Iso on The Inside but wasn't sure if someone would reach out to me about an idea or vice versa lol.

I like Eggy and Maxiwell's ideas!

Idea wise, mayyyybe a sort of UI/menu mockup based on another game would be fun (ie. in the past I did some fun Bioshock menu/UI stuff and it was a great learning experience)
IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 01 August 2020 at 10:19am
I like all of the above ideas!

Here are some specific ideas I've had since my last post:

Has there been a contest that involves some interplay between the preview image and the detail one? Some examples:
  • Preview image of raw ingredients; detail image of the cooked meal.
  • Preview image of flower buds in a vase; detail image of them in bloom.
  • Preview image of a chrysalis or insect larva; detail image of the insect or creature that emerges.
Any of those could be based on the real world or be crazy fantasy creations.

With palettes, it would be interesting to use them in unexpected ways. For example, a palette of muted greens, browns, greys and pale yellows could be used to pixel something beautiful.

On the palettes theme, here are some I've bookmarked for future usage although I'm very much an amateur so I can't say how easy to use or sensible these are:
Darkseed 16 by Ricardo Juchem
Japanese Woodblock by Polyducks
Lost Century by CalmRadish
Retro 8 by Bixbyte
Retro Space by Sergio Vad?s Biolley
Steam Lords by Slynyrd
IP IP Logged
SF - The Dark Warrior
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SF - The Dark Warrior Replybullet Posted: 02 August 2020 at 10:23pm
I'm generally a fan of palette challenges as well as others that give a clear theme bc I find them very conducive to fostering creativity.

Also hi.
IP IP Logged
||||
Commander
Commander

Quote |||| Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2020 at 2:37am
I like palette challenges too.
I think this would be an interesting one:

Create a character split directly in the middle, full body, portrait or somewhere in-between; having two distinctive personalities. For example one good and one bad,  one sane and one insane, one male one female etc. as long as they are distinctly different.  [must use assigned palette, transparency and animation would be ok]. The rules concerning what two types of distinction would be very loose and I could help assigning a palette to use for the challenge.

There would be an assigned palette for each half. Or like in the 'splitting 10's' challenge, there could be a palette which shares some colours but keeps most separated.

Something I made for the splitting 10's challenge that is similar in essence:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/71078.htm

Splitting 10's challenge:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1303

Splitting 11's challenge:
http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/challenge_item.asp?id=1516

IP IP Logged
Quiara
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Quiara Replybullet Posted: 03 August 2020 at 6:07pm
Recent contest winner here, and general newb to the site. Something I've not seen suggested here, nor in any of the challenges in the archives: extremely constrained canvas sizes. So, like, "make an image that's eight times as wide as it is tall." In general I think combining basic themes with creative canvas constraints is a cool combo - consider the Mer de Noms challenge from a couple months ago (nautical imagery + circular canvas) and all the great entries we got for that.
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 04 August 2020 at 1:08am
Thank you for all the great ideas so far, this is super insightful and we'll use as many as possible! Surely some more restricted, palette and canvas challenges are coming up!

Keep them coming :D
IP IP Logged
PC PIXEL
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote PC PIXEL Replybullet Posted: 08 August 2020 at 12:29am
I'm sure many of you have also noticed that the weekly challenges are not as popular as they were a few years ago.

Maybe because for most people like me, one week isn't enought due to short free time...
A monthly challenge?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version