WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Shmup ship- critique my sprite art Post Reply Post New Topic
wrathofkhan
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote wrathofkhan Replybullet Topic: Shmup ship- critique my sprite art
    Posted: 17 September 2020 at 12:07pm
I am working towards creating a sprite sheet for a shmup game theoretically for the amiga 500. I will learn as i go. Having an objective helps motivate me.

Also please hints and help regarding what i should do to tailor the art to meet the needs of an amiga etc.

I'm using dawnbringers 32 colour palette. I am aiming for 320x240 resolution.

Should i lower the saturation of background art relative to the player and enemies etc?

I am also wondering about background art/layers and size/scale relative to the player ship etc.
IP IP Logged
TheCaptainGhost
Seaman
Seaman

Quote TheCaptainGhost Replybullet Posted: 09 October 2020 at 4:47am
Not very familiar with amiga 500.
Personally for the ship i would shade bottom a bit darker and also play more with window shading. Now it looks a bit flat. Probably wouldn't split engines fire into three parts at the end.

Looks cute tho reminds me of old r-type
IP IP Logged
invent
Seaman
Seaman

Quote invent Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2020 at 3:32pm
Hi wrathofkhan, great initial ship concept.

My suggestion is to design the ship in 16 colours. Alot of Amiga games use hardware sprites for the player ship, we did that for Reshoot I, II and for III. Boss Machine also usings the hardware sprites for player (BM actually uses Hires hardware sprites).

I think it will all depend on what backgrounds you have, testing it on various light/dark/saturated/ etc will help.

One of my errors in the past was not catering for darker edges looking bad on bright backgrounds and some shootemups counteract this by having lighter palettes.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Hope the info helps.

two suggestions:
- make the middle blue body lighter to help bulk out the shape assuming its cylindrical (just a light pixel or to)

- The green glass add a bit more shadow at the bottom maybe so its less flat looking.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version