Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: Asking by BIG help with a Poll Post Reply Post New Topic
Maye
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Maye Replybullet Topic: Asking by BIG help with a Poll
    Posted: 11 December 2020 at 10:30am
I'm not artist, I just enjoy making pixel art as a hobby. I really wanna found my own style something who mark my work but I really dont know how do that.

So I wanna ask to all great artists of this forum by help in form o small poll to see what I can do to find my way.

The poll:
1- Do you have personal style?
2- Do you created your own style or adopt existe one?
3- What the name of your style?
4- Can upload the best representation of your style?
5- Why you chose these style?
6- What type of piece you make more? landscape, characters...?
7- What other styles you like and why?

Really thanks too all artits who can help on these.

Kind regards, May.
IP IP Logged
Nyarlathotep
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Nyarlathotep Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2020 at 1:17am
Hi Maye,

First, I haven't been doing pixel art for long, so my experience is mainly with other digital art, but I imagine it is similar for pixel art and many other art forms.

I think personal "style" comes from art that you like - naturally, we want to draw art that we like and don't throw in the bin on reflex. If I admire realism, I'm probably going to try and draw that myself, whereas if I prefer a cartoony style, I'm going to draw that instead. If I like how someone approaches colour or composition, or a certain way they draw trees for example, I might try and bring some of that into my own art, either deliberately or unconsciously, as a natural result of drawing what I like.

It also comes from your preferred process - in pixel art, as with other art, there are different processes to create the art. For a couple of examples, some people slap the colours and shapes down vaguely with a big brush, then clean up and fill in the details afterwards, some prefer to draw a nice clean outline and then add the colours afterwards. This can give the finished art a different look depending on your process. This comes from trying different methods and seeing what works best for you.

It can also be a deliberate choice - just as an example, Pablo Picasso didn't start out painting in the cubist style, he developed this style deliberately because he wanted to challenge the conventional belief that art should try to emulate reality.

Finally, I think we often like to stay in our comfort zone - sometimes, we just build a habit of doing things in a certain way. As we draw more and more things, we build up a "catalogue" in our heads of certain colour palettes we like, certain compositions, certain lighting angles etc.. and we tend to stick to the same look each time because it's easier to do what we've done before than trying new things every single time. This one can be a bit dangerous if we get stuck drawing in a certain way (I am so guilty of this 🙈) and never develop our skills in other areas, so it can be good to break out of our comfort zone once in a while and try something new.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions specifically, but I hope it helps in any case.
IP IP Logged
Mike9377
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Mike9377 Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2020 at 1:13pm
1. Not really. I might not have made enough pixel art to really develop a personal style, but I often try new things. Usually I stay away from dithering.

2. I have adopted the style of tinting shaded colors.

3. "My style" haha

5. Feedback,

6. characters.

7. I like GameBoy 2-bit style pixel art. Not worrying about colors allowed pixel artists to create more depth compared to 8-bit graphics
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2020 at 1:43pm
1 Not one I am very conscious about.
2 I often try to emulate things that I like in works of others
oof, the questions kept on getting more and more difficult, I don't have any other answers for you!

What are your answers to the 7 questions Maye?
IP IP Logged
Maye
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Maye Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2020 at 7:10pm
@Nyarlathotep, thanks by your time. I think as all questions of life, the answer come along with more y more practice. At least now I know I can be influenced for the styles of others (And dont feel bad about it) or introduced diferents parts of other in my own.

@Mike9377, I really appreciate your answer and I need be honest, your dude as art is really good, I think you have good skill with shadows (I need work on it) but his look terrifies me.

@Hapiel, Thanks as always. ''I often try to emulate things that I like in works of others''

I try it too, but in regular times I don't show nothing of my work by fear of people who can see it as negative.

The poll:
1- Do you have personal style?
I'm looking for it, trying all I can, to see in with what I feel better.

2- Do you created your own style or adopt existe one?
I really don't have the skill tom make something really unique, so I know at the end I gonna adopt exist one.

3- What the name of your style?
Don't have one at the moment. So no one know the name yet.

4- Can upload the best representation of your style?
At the moment I feel really good with these two.
https://imgur.com/a/kdn0mAg

The one is the last Im testing is not my work.
https://imgur.com/a/hIKh6OW

Also I maked some Voxel art (Looks like cartoon) so these can influence my work on pixel art.
https://imgur.com/a/GoUDpbJ]
These is ''The battle of Cintra'' from The Withcher.
https://imgur.com/a/jwyTJU1
And these is the ''Butcher of Blaviken'' from The Witcher too. Haha is the firts time I show my voxel stuff too any human.

5- Why you chose these style?
I have not chosen a particular one yet.

6- What type of piece you make more? landscape, characters...?
Characters and places like a tower or tavern (Fantastic stuff).

7- What other styles you like and why?
I like others, like the style of
https://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/79056.htm
https://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/82827.htm
by coloring and details.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version