Message Icon Topic: ISOrd & ISOrcery Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Gen_void

Just a sketch, there will be a horned god with an orb, and people kissing and other people flying trough the woods. The trees will be bigger.

My take will be under the pagan mythos around medieval era. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think of the palette conformation or any thing!

@Gen_void: I like the idea of a pagan ritual for the collab. There's however several things that worry me about your sketch. Foremost the fact that it isn't isometric. Look in the thread for the feedback given to Pixelated Cloud and SomethingFishy. Isometric pixel art is all about following a grid as to stay within the correct projection. The fact that isometric pixel art relies so much on rules and grids means that its actually a pretty good way for beginners to make pixel art as they can worry about making boxes and grids instead of technique. None of your elements are isometric and they're all casting shadows in the wrong direction. Refer again to the post on page 1 and the light source. I think you should spend some time looking into isometric pixel art tutorials (here's some) and browsing the PJ gallery for good looking isometric pieces to emulate.

Another concern is that you've still not claimed a tile and you're not working within the constraints of a tile. What if you draw too many things and can't fit it in with your neighbors? This is all about planning, pick a tile and see if you can make your idea work within it. Others may continue your idea, or not.

Lastly your picture is an .JPG which is a destructive file format which means the image is littered with artifacts and it makes it difficult for us to edit and give you feedback. A .gif or .png keeps the pixels clean.

I appreciate your obvious passion for your idea but take your time and try to map it out, that is how you get a good looking end result!
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 5:40am

Bigorne WIP. Still need to figure out how to finish the walls off
IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Christoballs

Bigorne WIP. Still need to figure out how to finish the walls off

How about ruined part with pieces falling off into the abyss?

EDIT: Stupid image doesn't work but I'm sure you get what I mean

IP IP Logged
Gen_void
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Gen_void Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 9:35am
Can i have 20? the user canceled that tile.
IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 10:08am
Checking in with a WIP for tile 49.

Still lots to do because I've been struggling to get the pose of the stonemason right and make it readable. I also want him to be more obviously wearing Medieval clothing. For some reason, I can't seem to link to my clothing reference images even though they're on my Imgur page, but Googling 'Medieval mason' will give the gist of what I'm aiming for.

Ultimately there will be another guy climbing the ladder and possibly one on the upper roof. The lower one is adding a gargoyle to the roof (the initial idea was to do the Alien gargoyle from Paisley Abbey as a little Easter egg but, again, I'm struggling with readability so I may just make a standard Medieval-type character).

If anyone has any tips for the crouching pose in isometric then I would be eternally grateful!

Here's a view of the wider context in case the eventual owners of the tiles below mine want a reference for the bottom of the ladder, windows and wall:

IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 10:17am
@SeDiceBisonte: Going great! I don't think there's any major problems with the pose, it reads as crouching to me. For making him look medieval, I would just indicate a belt and tunic and that will probably be enough, just to get away from the ordinary pants+shirt look. Other than that perhaps a colorful hood?

Check out these medieval builders!
IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 10:28am
Funnily enough, that's exactly one of the images I was trying to link to. Whenever I tried to get the lower part of the tunic in, the pose stopped reading well, and when I tried to get a hood in then the face no longer worked. Sounds like I can get away without the hood at the very least, so I'll fiddle around with the tunic some more. Thanks!

Should be a lot easier with the other people I'm adding since they'll be in standing poses!
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 10:33am

I think you can get away with a lot! Its quite clear from the context what he is doing IMO. Excited to see the rest of the crew :)
IP IP Logged
SeDiceBisonte
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote SeDiceBisonte Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 10:39am
Oh wow, thanks! That's very helpful. I haven't got a good feel for how much you can exaggerate things to aid readability at this scale, so that's very instructive. The hood I tried was far smaller and may as well have just been hair.

Studying that should help add character to all of my masons, and I may be able to apply the same thinking to another attempt at the Alien gargoyle.
IP IP Logged
Gen_void
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Gen_void Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 12:19pm
Hi! heres a development!

What u think about it? The isometric view and lighting source direction will be improved, but i will define more the subjects, either way they are naked and that will help me with their tone shading.
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 12:44pm
Just another wip

IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 1:10pm

Hi! heres a development!

What u think about it? The isometric view and lighting source direction will be improved, but i will define more the subjects, either way they are naked and that will help me with their tone shading.

Hello Gen_void. The improvement I see is that it is a png file now, and it is not enlarged. But there is still nothing isometric about it and also there is not much "pixel art" in it, but I understand that it is a sort of a quick draft that you intend to clean up. I second the recomendation made by Reo, for you to get back to all the isometric pixelart tutorials you can find, and study them, and practice until you feel comfortable with it enough to join isometric pixelart collaboration project.

The tile format is slightly wrong. It have to be exactly right, becasue it needs to connect with others. If you are not able to reproduce it yourself, why not just download the collab file and crop it to the desired tile and it's suroundings?

And this brings us to the main problem with your proposition - it is not a part of the collaboration but just an individual image. This is not even fully allowed to the first 10 tiles, becasue even those have to somehow anticipate the posibilities of connections with ideas that are or will be near. The most important thing in those collaboration events is... collaboration with other participants, which should be obvious. It is happening mainly by joining and continuing the ideas and techniques used by others, which forces us to experiment and try new things - things we would probably not do by ourselves, and learn something in the process. Also it is a great teamwork excercise. Your proposition is not a continuation of any tile and does not join any of the finished ones. We even don't know which tile you are working on, becasue you started drawing before any of your tile number claims was accepted by the mods. This means that you probably should read the rules carefully again, or ask us if you don't understand something.
IP IP Logged
Krugelix
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Krugelix Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 1:17pm
Thanks a lot Gecimen, Esven and Mirre for the advice.

I guess i call #13 #14 done. I probably go over it again, once there are some tiles around it and adapt to whatever they come up with.

@Mirren: So nice, how you made the plants grow out of the window. Such a nice contrast: the hair hangs down and the plant grows up.

@Reo: I adore the way you made the roof in the tile with the wizard.
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 1:43pm
@Krugelix this ended up really good! Iíll add it tomorrow.
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 1:47pm
@Krugelix: Thank you! Really excellent job taking all the criticism to heart. The tile looks very nice and clean now.

@Geci: I'll take 28, while I wait for 26 ;)
IP IP Logged
Something Fishy
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Something Fishy Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 3:15pm
(#37)Sorry haven't done much but I made a tree out of clay for reference and it still came out pretty bad, I also uploaded it to imgur so hope I did it right.

(edit: It's saved to jpg don't know how that happened or how to fix it but I'll do it later)

Edit 2: It defaulted to jpg just manually changed it to png :-|
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 3:18pm
That JPEG is so fuzzy I can't make out a thing Fishy :/
IP IP Logged
Mirre
Commander
Commander

Quote Mirre Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 3:39pm
WIP for #46:

@Christoballs: Feel free to continue all the way down to the top of my tile. Border tiles can get this kind of "arrow" shape instead of the usual diamond shape. Your tile is looking so cool btw!

@SeDiceBisonte: Your tile is coming along so nice! It would be great to see some parts of the cathedral unfinished where they are still building. Or maybe some monster or a trebuchet or something has destroyed parts of it? :)
IP IP Logged
Gen_void
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Gen_void Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 5:36pm
Ok, can i have some tile? I reserved the 20, gawrone said I didnít but yes i did. I donít know whatís happening.

Any mod can give me any tile, i read the rules a lot of times already and that sketch were hours planing it even if it doesnít seem so
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2021 at 6:04pm
@SeDiceBisonte good work so far!
@Mirre thanks for the WIP, I'll work on the connecting walls o/

Edit:

WIP
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 12:02am

Ok, can i have some tile? I reserved the 20, gawrone said I didnít but yes i did. I donít know whatís happening.

Any mod can give me any tile, i read the rules a lot of times already and that sketch were hours planing it even if it doesnít seem so

As Gawrone said, you asked for 20 but you haven't taken any effort to include anything from Esven's or Jeremy's tiles, therefore it is impossible to know where you intended for it to be displayed. Its not a collaborative effort. Your tile should include both a road and a wheat field and it does not. The trees you added are sliced down diagonally by the border to Jeremy's tile. Likewise your tile is just way too big and the wrong shape, it bleeds over into 3 other tiles. The tile template is on the first page.

IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 12:27am

In addition to what Reo wrote I made a template for you to use.

Start the process of planning with continuation of the grass and the road (remember it is isometric so when it goes horizontally it should appear as narrower, and when it goes vertically it have to appear as wider). The shape of the road is up to you but it have to be a reasonable continuation of the existing tile. When you have that base you can add your trees and characters.
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Something Fishy

Alright so remember how I said before that the dirt in front of the grave was still not isometric? That is because it is not using those 2.1 grid lines. The base shape of everything you do in this style is based on that, so therefore it is best to use as many guides and grids as possible, otherwise it looks like its falling off the canvas. I believe your tombstones are too thin, they have a cardboard appearance and especially the medieval period was associated with massive slabs of stone.

In my edit I also show how you can use a grid to make the base of the tree. What is the paper next to the tree?
I would also add that your tile is a bit noisy thanks to the grass. I would perhaps suggest making the next-darkest shade of green the base color instead? You can also take a look at how Krugelix simplified the grass in their tile. You're making progress though!
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:07am

Calling 77 done
IP IP Logged
Paperdomo101
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Paperdomo101 Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 2:20am
Hi,

I'd like to reserve tile 81 if available.
IP IP Logged
Gen_void
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Gen_void Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 3:00am
Wonderful @reo and @gawrone. So i have tile 20 thenz

I will take your advices, perfect the tile to make it cool!
And will put less people in it, 4 people are too much for the proportions i missed that point. Thanks and tonight i will give an (ďhopefully) improved version.
IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 3:22am
I have made the bottom part almost finished so it will be easy to plan ahead. It can be now made a part of the castle or part of an individual fortification. The tower can be continued down to be high or ended shortly with grass. And the wall can continue to the right or be ended, so i hope it's quite open for many different solutions.

IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Paperdomo101

Hi,

I'd like to reserve tile 81 if available.

You have to continue from one of the existing tiles.

@Gawrone: Well planned!
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 4:13am
@Mirre and Gawrone; awesome WIPs!
IP IP Logged
Paperdomo101
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Paperdomo101 Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 5:28am
@Reo
Okay, thanks for letting me know. In that case, can I claim tile 9?

I have a WIP here too btw, still need to connect it to tile 1.
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 6:41am
Ideally you would wait until Irena is finished with her tile. You could also almost slot it in as is on tile 21. Just blend with Krugelix's grass and warrior.
Tile 52 also looks like it could be a good fit for your tile when that is done. Its a nicely done tile though!

Edit:
This is actually a specific runestone in my hometown that I used to bike past to work every morning.
IP IP Logged
Nitbe
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Nitbe Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 7:36am

#51 WIP
IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 7:45am

@Reo

Great holy hand granade tile, but yes, you have to wait until a started (and especially WiPed) tile is finished until you can claim something next to it.
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Nitbe

#51 WIP

Nitbe, the turquise in my tile is water and you've got dark water from Gecimen's tile coming into yours as well.
Cute goat!
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 7:52am

@Reo

You can go for #22 with this, shall I give it to you? It's against the rules to claim next to no finished tiles.
IP IP Logged
Paperdomo101
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Paperdomo101 Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 8:05am
@Gecimen

I'll happily go for #22, sorry for all the trouble.

Alright, here's tile #22 finished:
IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 8:49am
Okay... here is a WIP for #1. It's not done yet, and since Mirre stole mine Rapunzel, I'll have to think about some other characters in this scene.

IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 8:56am
@Paperdomo101: You must also finish the warrior!
IP IP Logged
gawrone
Commander
Commander

Quote gawrone Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Irenaart

Okay... here is a WIP for #1. It's not done yet, and since Mirre stole mine Rapunzel, I'll have to think about some other characters in this scene.

I know it is a different tower but what about Fiona?
IP IP Logged
Paperdomo101
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Paperdomo101 Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Reo

I don't understand, what part of the warrior is unfinished?
IP IP Logged
Alphonso6
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Alphonso6 Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:37am
Can I join? If I can, I'll take 64 :)
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:46am

Originally posted by Reo

I don't understand, what part of the warrior is unfinished?

Nothing! Nevermind me I was looking at an old version of the tile in an old tab...haha good job on the blend!
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:46am
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&PID=225264#225264
- From the 11th tile on (or once a finished tile has been put into place) your new tile reservations MUST have at least one neighboring tile already posted that your tile blends into.

Just something you must take into account when requesting a tile. Welcome and looking forward to youre tile(s)!
IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 9:50am
@gawrone; He, he... That is actually a great idea. Thanks! Dibs on Fiona, Shrek and Donkey! 😁
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 10:08am
@paperdomo101; that tile is hilariously awesome! Really gave all the feeling of the scene

@Irena; Looking amazing already good job!

@Alphonso6; you can only claim tiles that are next to finished tiles.

IP IP Logged
Mirre
Commander
Commander

Quote Mirre Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 10:24am

@Gecimen

I'll happily go for #22, sorry for all the trouble.

Alright, here's tile #22 finished:

You beat me to it! Looks absolutely fantastic. Love The Holy Grail so much and this tile is perfect.

@Irenaart: oh snap! I had no idea that's what you were going to go for. Sorry! Your tile is looking fantastic though.
IP IP Logged
Irenaart
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Irenaart Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 10:28am
@Mirre; he, he, no problem. My fickle princess has moved into a bigger and prettier tower. I can't blame her. 😄

Wonderful job everyone. All tiles look awesome. @gawrone; can't wait to see your dragon. The building already looks great.
IP IP Logged
Quiara
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Quiara Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 10:53am
Hey, not certain whether you'd still take the tile I reserved... five days ago? (Maybe it would be advantageous to do so, so we can break into the southeast of the canvas.) Here is a WIP:

Thinking I'll put up another tent to the right of the figure (assuming y'all don't mind me being a bit late to post this) - what should be in them? Textiles seem to be a big theme in bazaar illustrations I've seen, and we've got nice colors for those.
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 11:04am

WIP.

@Paperdomo: Niiiice :D
@Irenaart: Love that tower's shape, looking good so far.
@Quiara: Ohhhh a bazaar? Awesome. Can't wait to see more progress on this!

IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2021 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Quiara

Hey, not certain whether you'd still take the tile I reserved... five days ago? (Maybe it would be advantageous to do so, so we can break into the southeast of the canvas.) Here is a WIP:
Thinking I'll put up another tent to the right of the figure (assuming y'all don't mind me being a bit late to post this) - what should be in them? Textiles seem to be a big theme in bazaar illustrations I've seen, and we've got nice colors for those.

Yeah itís been 6 days and time for posting the first wip is 4 days - and I PMd you but guess you didnít see. Surely you can reclaim #80, but we donít need free tiles anymore so you could also attach yours next to someone elseís tile as well.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 18 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version