WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Big Bullfrog Post Reply Post New Topic
Ddawg3000
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ddawg3000 Replybullet Topic: Big Bullfrog
    Posted: 02 April 2021 at 9:16am

An enemy for my game. What do you guys think?
IP IP Logged
SeinRuhe
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SeinRuhe Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2021 at 12:40pm
Hi there!

Well, it just seems weird, from my experience there are a couple things you can do to improve it.

- Regardless of the style, the structure feels a off, you may want to check photo reference for this.

- You putted the lightsource at the right of the image, but the side that is nearest us (the spectator) is on the left of the image, this makes drawing convincing light way harder, for the intends of a game try to put the lightsource on the side nearest to the spectator.

- Don't be afraid to overlap mases on your sprites, the back legs are in a really weird position and the reason for that seems to be so they don't cover parts of your sprite.

- I did a mini edit to your drawing (And really sketchy), keeping the lightsource where it is but changing the rendering to clarify a little bit the forms of the frog.

- I also did a completely different 15m sketch to show how changing the light to the left (in this case) may be beneficial for the sprite and fixing a bit the anatomy of the legs.

I hope this helps at least a little on your process of doing pixel art for your game!

IP IP Logged
Ddawg3000
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ddawg3000 Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2021 at 10:41am
Very valid points, thank you!

How does this look?
IP IP Logged
SeinRuhe
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SeinRuhe Replybullet Posted: 13 April 2021 at 6:47pm
Looks like you only changed the leg of position which makes it look like all the body is pointing on the same direction, that's a fix, but besides that it hasn't improved at all.

The leg is not the only thing that can be improved on the sprite, research lighting, look at references and see what can you improve.

I do recommend grabbing a pen and a paper and drawing a lot of frogs from reference because what you seem to lack is fundamentals, pixel art may be about precision and technique, but is also a form of drawing after all.
IP IP Logged
Ddawg3000
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ddawg3000 Replybullet Posted: 14 April 2021 at 11:47am
Very true. Drawing, in any medium, has never been my strong suit. I'm trying to force myself to learn pixel art, though, for the sake of my game design. I'd really rather not pay someone else to make sprites for me.

Anyway, I've heard from many places that it's best to start with smaller resolutions. So I think for now I'll put this frog on hold and work on smaller things until I get good at doing that, at least.

Thanks so much for your in depth help!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version