WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Historically accurate Isometric Titanic Post Reply Post New Topic
PixelBrain
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote PixelBrain Replybullet Topic: Historically accurate Isometric Titanic
    Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:26am
Hi, long time since i posted. I've been working on this historically accurate isometric 'Titanic at Cherbourg' piece since 2014 (in MS Paint, looking for a better program but GIMP is hard to learn), and it is only now nearing completion. I feel it lacks visual interest (weathering, changing up textures e.g.) and is therefore not yet what I want it to be. My main question: how do I add visual interest and make it less monolithic?

IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:44am
That's amazing! This is the kinda thing that got me into pixel art when I was younger, great stuff!

If you wish to experiment with texture, I'd do so on a much smaller canvas and try some things out. However, to do so with attention on such a large area would be nearly impossible. I wouldn't do it.

To me, the most interesting areas are the ones with the most people. The nomadic is much more interesting because it is so crowded, and on the right side of the titanic much more seems to be going on than on the left side, which is fun. The people also add a lot of color!

Another thing you could try is to give some shading to the dark panels of the ship, maybe 5 slightly different colors or so for panels in different angles or so?

To make it really interesting, there has to be something of interest on every area. And that is a massive task on something this scale. In another piece I might advice to look at the composition and just direct the eye to some kind of focus point, but that's nearly impossible here, I can't even view the whole thing at once on my screen!

I guess another part to it is: I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty great as it is, when I see this thing I don't really have 'a lack of textures' on my mind. You've built something amazing!
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 04 July 2021 at 5:05am
Incredible

(sorry no CC, Just think it's incredible)

If you really go to town on that ocean, This could be hall of fame worthy,
I use GraphicsGale
IP IP Logged
Metomunc
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Metomunc Replybullet Posted: 06 January 2022 at 8:14pm
There is a definite wow factor with this one because of the size and scaling accuracy.  Really impressive!   My only complaint is that there is no one saying "Jack, I'm flying!" at the front of the ship. :)
... then again ... this is a historically accurate piece. 

Titanic museums may be interested in something like this.     
IP IP Logged
marceles
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote marceles Replybullet Posted: 23 January 2022 at 1:26pm
this is so huge and ambitious that is mesmerizing.and the fact that you did it on MS paint is truly amazing! hope your work get the recognition it deserves
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version