Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: Pixel Art Ezine(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Pixel Art Ezine
    Posted: 29 June 2005 at 9:55am

i dont know how to do this but i was thinking that we could make an online magazine about pixel artists and games wich will be emailed or on the web. everyone who takes part could have there own page and or summet like that. what yah think. it would also mention big events like the deviant art sumet

watcha think

IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

bullet Posted: 29 June 2005 at 10:48am

it'd be nice, but what are you going to put in there? is it going to be more towards noobies (lots of tutorials) or pros (job ads)

please specify & explain the idea a bit more

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 29 June 2005 at 11:17am
Pixelblink, iSTVAN and I have been tossing around putting a pixel e-magazine together for awhile.  Just trying to get all the sections thought through before we get going on it.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 29 June 2005 at 2:04pm
well thats just dandy :D
IP IP Logged
xtremetom
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 30 June 2005 at 1:35am
i would love to help with mag
Lets Build "thePA"
IP IP Logged
Monstara
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 July 2005 at 2:17am
I'd help, too
IP IP Logged
tommy j4sun
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 July 2005 at 2:43am
me too. I want to feel special so helping with the magazine will be awsome.
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 July 2005 at 4:35am
lol, if need be, I can help.
"At least we killed some boredom..." - Death Note.
IP IP Logged
Joenorton
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 01 July 2005 at 1:53pm
Yeah This would be cool,I wanna help,Maybe i could advertise
IP IP Logged
tommy j4sun
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 July 2005 at 3:04pm
maybe we can advertise the shops.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 July 2005 at 1:09am

i would just like making templates. :D mwa ah ahaha

off course i would do my research and gather posters from new artists. but didlly hey, it would be great.

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 July 2005 at 3:02am
I have the Adobe software for creating magazines if that would be useful for this.  Or just make the magazine integrated into a website.  But it would be cool as a pdf, make it Printable, with correct aspect ratio of course.
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 July 2005 at 7:42am

Things are still very early in the planning stages so far. I'm very glad to see so much community support, but as of yet I dont think we're ready to start allocating magazine duties!

We'll try to keep you all updated on any further official PixelJoint mag when things get a little closer!

IP IP Logged
PandaPlanet
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 July 2005 at 1:00pm
As snader mentioned tutorials might be cool in a magazine.
I'd love to see more Pixel Art tutorials on the web that go further then the drawig of cuber, spheres and pyramids -.-'
People could send in requests for certain tutorials that a (team of) pixel artist(s) might create.
Or a certain spot where you publish sent-in questions concerning pixel art with decent replies.

Well, that's the sort of magazine that would interrest me :)
(Oh, and a mini-1337 gallery of Pixel Art, like.. monthly?)
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 July 2005 at 1:48pm
well, im gonna do sum googling to find out sum good sites, tuts and posters
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 05 July 2005 at 7:32pm
As Sedge mentioned, we were already working the details of an ezine. Details are sketchy right now but, rest assured, this will kick ass. Feel free to post your ideas here and we'll see what we can do with em.
IP IP Logged
tamzqueen
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 06 July 2005 at 6:04pm

Gee great minds must think alike.. hehe. I had an idea like that for awhile too.  Had the title: Pixel Ink. It's got sort of a double meaning. Inc as in a company or Ink as in .. oh you know  I'd definately help out if you want. I'm more inclined to write articles or write tutorials on 'cute art' rather than anything.

Can't wait to see what develops from you guys

IP IP Logged
So-lou
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 06 July 2005 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by tamzqueen

Gee great minds must think alike.. hehe. I had an idea like that for awhile too.  Had the title: Pixel Ink. It's got sort of a double meaning. Inc as in a company or Ink as in .. oh you know  I'd definately help out if you want. I'm more inclined to write articles or write tutorials on 'cute art' rather than anything.

Can't wait to see what develops from you guys

LOL I came up with that name for a forum I was making with two friends. But then one of those friends completely overtook the forum with ideas we hadn't even discussed so it kind of went to sh*t. XD Pixel Ink. would be a good name instead of Pixel Inc. Excellent!

This magazine will rule, I'll help out if anyone needs me.

IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

bullet Posted: 06 July 2005 at 8:37pm

:P

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 06 July 2005 at 9:15pm
As far as the name of the mag goes, it's already been established as far as I know. I'm trying to leave some information unavailable to the public here so as to leave some surprises in store for the release of it. I will tell folks that we plan to release it in quarterly phases and it will contain as much information, resources, tutorials as we can muster. I can't speak for the others involved but, I am open to reviews and articles from anybody that wants to submit them. We are focusing on the quality of articles so that doesn't mean everything submitted will be accepted. Please do not begin writing anything until I can confirm what I've said though.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 07 July 2005 at 1:03am
I'm open to anything... I do want this to be about quality as well so not everything will work, but I'd love to see what people have in mind.
IP IP Logged
tommy j4sun
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 07 July 2005 at 12:00pm
I WANNA FEEL SPECIAL!!!! and i want some pie. so the name should be.....i don't know. but i can make little adds in the back of the mag for the action figure shop, big al's gun shop (still in the works), and a snack shop?

Edited by tommy j4sun
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 07 July 2005 at 12:10pm

Hold off on making the "ads" until we get some ad space sizes for you, but I think that's a winner idea. 

IP IP Logged
flaber
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 12:53am

mmhmm. bet no one remembers me, or were around then.

I can chip in. With whatever ya need. Pixelblink, sedge, istvan since it sounds like your in charge i believe my email is somewhere on this maby under my profile. If not PM me. but Iv been thinking of maby making one for myself, but helping someone else sounds easier.

Gimme a ring...

IP IP Logged
d-p
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 3:26am
I could imagine to help, too. Im looking forward to more detailled infos. What kind of magazine do you plan right now, printable pdf like Demon mentioned or a website like magazine?

Edited by d-p
IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 7:50am
This Pixel Art E-Zine sounds like a cool idea, I'd love to help out.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 7:57am

This will definitely be a website in an "magazine" format with articles, editorials, interviews, reviews, comic strips released in "issues". 

We'll get y'all more specifics as soon as we get the layout closer to completion.

IP IP Logged
tommy j4sun
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 9:13am
for "the funnies" aka comics, we could put some moose comics!
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 12:15pm

Hopefully we'll have enough pixel comics to have a "comics page". 

IP IP Logged
xtremetom
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 1:24pm

just curious, but will it include game reviews of say new pixel mobile games?

Lets Build "thePA"
IP IP Logged
tommy j4sun
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 08 July 2005 at 3:27pm
probly not.
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 09 July 2005 at 4:10am
I think it should..  I mean it IS a pixel related magazine right?  Pixel-Heavy games should atleast get mentions in it.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 09 July 2005 at 4:39am

like heli attack 3?

i could review pixel art games lol, i play them alot.

IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 09 July 2005 at 6:50am
GBA games often have some pretty good pixel art as well, so I guess those should be reviewed too.
IP IP Logged
tamzqueen
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 09 July 2005 at 10:08pm

Hopefully you guys mean reviewing the art in the games... that's what I'd be interested in anyway.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 09 July 2005 at 10:53pm

My vision encompasses everything and anything pixel related. This includes games, comics, tutorials, etc. We will include info about the PixelJoint site I'm sure, but it will not be focused on ourselves alone. I'd like to see this become as professional an ezine as possible in order to attract artists and companies from all over. Of course, that's MY vision of it all.

As I think I mentioned before, we probably will be open to quality articles by anybody.... but, I do stress on the 'quality'.

IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 10 July 2005 at 2:17am
I think PixelJoint has pretty much become the number 1 spot for pixel art out there...  If it isn't, then it will be soon, PixelJoint is to Pixels, as Google is to the world.  =)

As for content, I think (and I know some of this has already been mentioned, but I am on a roll, so shut-up for one second will ya?!  )
  1. Featured Pixel Art/Artist
  2. Perhaps some sort of time line(s)?
  3. Reviews of pixel based games/Game Art
  4. Reviews of different art programs and their usefulness with dealing with pixel art
  5. Tutorials, maybe 3 or 4 an issue, dealing with ISO and Non-ISO.  And defiantely do a feature on dithering, god know that I need that  =).
  6. Maybe a permanent article that is always in the mag dealing with uploading and sharing your art with the world, I.e. deviantART, PixelJoint, PhotoBucket (Or whatever that is)
  7. Comics are iffy, like Sedge said, it would be hard to find pixel artists that would be willing, or even responsible enough to make sure there is enought for each issue.
That's all I could muster up for now, but believe me, I did editing for The Chronicle in Washington, and I always had stupid and sometimes good ideas flying through my head.  That's why I carry a little notebook around in my pocket, and that is why within 2 weeks, I have to buy a new one.  =)

IP IP Logged
ryan-gfx
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 10 July 2005 at 7:16pm
This has probably been said.. but be sure to add in like, the best pieces of the week or something. Enough with the tutorials and reviews, let's see the almighty pixel at it's best! You guys should give out links to excellent pixel artists's portfolios and a weekly showcase of the latest pixel inspiration. 
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 6:18am

flaber: I do indeed remember you from pixelation. It'd be sweet for you to contribute to the mag matey.

About the games! PixelBlink has made it pretty clear that the mag shouldnt exclude any form of pixelling. I've put my hand up to take some sort of charge of the games section as I've got quite a few ties to the indy game scene.

However, I think its correct in thinking the game reviews should focus on the pixel graphics side, and should not exclusively deal with indy games, although I think it is important to make a particular focus on this area as it doesnt really get the respect it deserves. Some of the games I am interested in are coded, designed, marketed and most important to us, pixel arted all by the one person. I think its handy for the pixel art community to support the indy game industry in any way possible, a little exposure might be all they need!

Ofcourse, we should also look into the art of professional games, both recent and old, I reckon. These studies will focus mainly on the pixel art in games. I'm thinking GBA, mobile phone games, and anything else from before my time. That said, we'd like to make the section have one 'feature' game which would include a review of a game with pixel graphics, and a free download of the afore mentioned game. This would almost definately be a freeware indy game, for obvious legal reasons. Also, I'd like to think the mag would be able to open a few peoples eyes to games that they may not have known existed.

But I'm getting too detailed and too rambly. If you've got any ideas for this section, give me or anyone else working on the mag a bell!

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 10:38am
well said, iSTVAN! You sound like a professional already
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 12:48pm

iSTVAN:  I think what you are saying is in the true spirit of the mag.  One thing that might be nice is to break down the games section into three cats...

• Classic games (8/16 bit console and arcade gems)
  • Indy games (Flash/PC)
  • Modern games (GBA/Mobile)

Waddaya think?

IP IP Logged
Dejital
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 12:50pm
Well, when you review a game, the focus of the article should be on the art; not on the game itself. 
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 12:54pm
That's a tough one Dejital... sometimes (not always) the beauty of the art intertwines with the game/music.  
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 1:05pm
Dejital: I think there should be an equal review on the whole game... including art, music, gameplay, etc. The art will be the main focus of course becuase it needs to be a pixel art based format
IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

bullet Posted: 11 July 2005 at 1:54pm

i think that a thing like a timeline shouldnt be in all mags, but only in the first one, to explain things like how it started, and how the thing evolved

allso i thinks it'd be cool to highlight pixelartists in every issue, like wolverine this one next one panda, etc. and have an interview (not a standard questionlist though, them be boring)

and about the gaming, i think that music is part of the art, but on a different level then the pixels are

and lastly, i think comics should be very doable, seeing as things like Bob 'n George and a Modest Destiny are done allmost daily

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
flaber
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:28am

haha, well im glad youd like me aboard istvan.

With the reviews for the GBA games and possibly the mobile ones, (im not much into the mobile ones, but i know GBA) becareful when selecting them. You may think ohwow! this is a great game. but no. no it really isnt. By this I mean, alot of those artists are getting lazy out there. Instead of actually pixeling everything themselves, some games will have 3D images compressed into GBA size. I believe golden sun(s) have this, that new yoshi game (where you tilt the gameboy), madagascar, etc all have it. So when picking a game to review, make sure its fully pixeled, like *ahem* sword of mana...

I can help with reviews and commercial critisism if need be. Back at pixelation I liked to participate in those, like that sword of mana one. I was gona start my own... then it went under.

Im also willing to make you some graphics if you need, of course in mystyle... so little cartoontythings and such.

allso i thinks it'd be cool to highlight pixelartists in every issue, like wolverine this one next one panda, etc. and have an interview (not a standard questionlist though, them be boring)

...then me

but again,

gimme a call when the time comes that you wants me to help

Corey

IP IP Logged
xtremetom
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:56am
I totally agree with iStvan: the indy industry probably does need little extra push to get those guys some much needed pr. Not to mention, alot of indy gamers do create all the graphics, and for that they certainly deserve alot of respect and if this can help give them that, then fantastic.

Of course there is always the point, as to were draw the line between game review and art review, but then surely the two work together to create a great or ar$e piece.
Lets Build "thePA"
IP IP Logged
Monstara
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 14 July 2005 at 2:06am
I have much respect for the indy game scene, and I don't see why not write about them. If it's pixelart, it's pixelart. And I think most of those projects use their own art.
IP IP Logged
Xion Night
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:36am
I could make a comic?

And I don't think the gaming section should focus on/section off any type of game (Indie, GBA, Flash, classic, etc) but how bout just having a game review section for any type of game that uses pixel art to an extent.
Previous issue: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
This issue: Metal Slug 3 (Xbox)
Next issue: Cave Story (PC)
The issue after the next issue: Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES)

I also like the idea of having a pixelartist highlit per issue.

Maybe have someone do an in-depth pixel crit from random sources. Like one issue might have a crit section on king of fighters and another issue would crit a noob's art, giving tips and advices. Then the next issue would have a crit of one of the masters' pieces from this site, then maybe another game.

A Gallery?
Maybe a gallery for one of the many collabs going on at this site? Like the hatch-a-thon or the action-figures?

I could make a comic?
Kizzah!
IP IP Logged
flaber
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:44am

so I began thinking again.

I like that idea about critizing a Newbs art, Xion.

So why not have say anyone who wants there art (probably a newb would be doing this) ripped apart in the magazine, send in there piece to someone through PM or email. Then we can select ONE, and tear apart it on that issue. Then next month repeat the same process.

ill go now and do my own thing,

Ill see what else i can come up with

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version