Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: Pixel Joint Mascot Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Demon
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2005 at 4:01pm
well, people can still submit ideas, I dont think the nerd is ultimately the winner yet   But he will give everyone else a run for their money.
"At least we killed some boredom..." - Death Note.
IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote greyscar Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 2:05am

Eugine Max And The Chess Club Challenge
--------------------------------------------------

The Populars (popular people) have stolen the chess figures from the chess club, you (Eugine Max) must save them all over a number of lessons (levels) before its check mate.

Eugine Max (you) is the only one up for the job, as he stands before the Student Council, he is set the challenge of saving chess club and becoming the hero of Arty - Farty Collage.

that bit is awsome, that seems like it fits the character perfectly!
admittedly the level names could do with some work, but a great start
-ollie
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 3:40am

I dunno. I think I'd prefer something with a little more of a Pixel related theme, or atleast gaming. I'm not too keen on the school-ish idea.

Skipper's character looks sweeeet! And Sabotaur's stayed on theme nicely.

I've created a couple more variations on my character (couldnt resist!):

These connect well with the platorm-sh idea of the game. But are really just for fun. I'd like to see more people play around with the mascot! THINK PIXEL!

PS! Demon's Spidy was spot-on!

Edited by iSTVAN
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

Quote stryder Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 9:53am
Originally posted by stryder

this might be in the differnt area but i have a great idea for the game

(the charater) make an clone of himself made of millions of pixels and their was a virus that made his clone evil!so he has to fight his evil clone before the clone changes the world to a big pixel planet the clone will have creatures created to fight (the main chacter) on each level! the main character should be able to suck up the pixel monsters after he weaknes them!i rerember a megaman game i played you killed the boss and got his ability that would be cool in the game and it would be fun to change his look in the game like special glasses super pocket protecter special clothes with differnt abilitys and thats my idea
   isnt this idea good i need replys on it
IP IP Logged
Brian the Great
Commander
Commander
RED!

Quote Brian the Great Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:10am
Here's the tragic attempt.

I know it's awful, but it's just a sketch.
IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Blueberry_pie Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:49am
Originally posted by iSTVAN

Haha, gotta love those Commander Keen and Super Mario variations
I don't seem to regocnize to one on the left though.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 10:50am

Don't sweat the "quality" of the submissions.   It's just a good thing to get your ideas up so we can discuss. The idea is more important than the execution at this point. Demon is absolutely right... don't stop submitting other mascot ideas just because the nerd one is getting all the chatter. 

Stryder's notes on the Megaman nerd absorption thing sound really promising. There could be tons of nerd gear to be gained.  Who carries more gadgets than nerds?

I like Akira's idea for a pet mouse as well.  It'd be cool to have a trusty sidekick for our mascot. 

Saboteur's mascot is a good idea, but it's hard to make it clear. On the other hand... a shape shifting pixel character does have promise.  

IP IP Logged
PixelPusher
Seaman
Seaman

Quote PixelPusher Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 2:29pm
We could use my avi! ...Not. Well, we could, but it doesn't really represent something. I like iSTVAN's nerds, very nice. You are one heckuva pixel artist iSTVAN, keep it up! 
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 2:51pm

I missed the post that talks about a pet mouse; Where is it?

That's pretty much my idea of it, if I understood correctly :P

"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 8:53pm
that would be more of a Cursor then a Mouse, but I get it.
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2005 at 11:44pm

Fine, if ya wanna be picky... it can be all three!

Ok, not the breathing mouse, its just there for very little comic releif and animation transition.

(edited)

Oh my goodness, now with mildly better clouds! I need an emoticon with a bigger, more sticky-outy tongue.

Edited by Saboteur
"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote greyscar Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 2:52am
very nice transition, but i cant belp thinking its too small.

-ollie
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:45am

That's some real nice work Saboteur.  You've really nailed what I was thinking of for the mouse.  Get out of my head.

IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 11:07am

But I like it in here... so much open space

thanks people. And Greyscar... wait, nevermind. I'll leave the arguing to when I have something to argue.

IP IP Logged
Garage Inc.
Commander
Commander

Quote Garage Inc. Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 2:45pm
The mouse is perfect, but theres one part I dont like. When you can see his eyes and he gets ready to go back the otehr way, his eyes seem to jerk extremely fast. Maybe add another fame in there and it would be awsome.
For every second spent wondering if you can do something, you could spend 2 seconds doing it.
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 3:08pm

there, thanks for pointing that out. I edited it, just put the edge of the button in one of the frames. If I added a frame the cloud woulda had some problems.

Enough about the mouse/mice on with the actual mascot, not its pet

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2005 at 6:34pm

Both are awesome animations, Sab! Well done! He moves so fluidly. To keep on theme it would be nice to see big block coloured pixels floating in the background rather then clouds, but its not REALLY neccessary.

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:35am

A new possible mascot perhaps? You be the judge! More ideas the merrier.

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:36am

Woah thats some awesome animation you've got going on there sab.
Heres my attempt:

And with his master:

The style of iSTVAN's was really hard to keep when shrinking down... Don't think I did too badly on it though.
I'm still going for iSTVAN's nerd, even more so with the Commander keen edit

EDIT: Rad new mascot ist! we must have posted at the same time . Still love the nerd though.

Edited by Akira
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:50am

Hahaha, I was also surprised to see such a fast response, before I read it!

I can certainly see you playing with my style there! A skill that will come handy when a big group of us trying and make the collab game seem uniform. It also reminds me of some of the creatures you drew not long ago, like the one in the avatar. I liked them! Good job!

I dont think youve had a problem replicating my style, however, it is really difficult to tell what on earth it is! It simply doesnt look anough like a mouse to know it is one without someone telling you.

I think the key thing with the mascot and his related friends is that you instantly think 'PIXELS!' Same goes for the game, but if we choose mascot correctly, that shouldnt be a problem.

I'm still waiting for a Sedgemonkye possible mascot! Heheh.

IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote greyscar Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:56am
lol, so am i!
thats a really cool creature akira, but like istvan said, it doesnt really scream pixels!
although copying his style has worked really well, that could become useful later on (if istvans idea is used!)

-ollie
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 8:40am

My mascot might be a bit, but I will definitely post one sometime... I have a lotta sh*t to take care of including *gasp* taxes and I just got a sweet side gig going.  I don't want to rush the mascot thing so I think this thread will be open for awhile.  Once we pick a mascot... we can't go back so it's important we spend some time making the right choice.

I think the mouse sidekick Saboteur is working on and the nerd by iSTVAN are the two leaders for me at this point, but I think there's a lot of other ways to say pixel.

I opened a thread at pixelerate today to try and drum up some more interest. Post your entries there too if you like.

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:31pm

OK, I found a few minutes to whip up an attempt inspired by iSTVAN...

IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:45pm

Istvan, your purple rabbit thing makes me suspicious, with the little waggy tail in the correct location. At first glance I didn't see it as a tail. =S does it also get a lot brighter while it is leaning? (its clothes, I mean)

Sedgemonkey, I like Istvan's better; yours looks more like a static graphic, with less opportunity for animation and poses and such. But I think he should have a cursor or a laptop/usb cable collaberation as a weapon.

Akira, you made the mouse at an angle, something I don't even wanna try :P But two things; one, is it actually going to be the animal? I like the cursor best, but I could do any of the three. And two, you can't really tell its a mouse, like Istvan said.

Haha! I just read that I'm first for the sidekick :) Makes sence, considering I'm the only one that posted a sidekick.

And why not make a character of a joint? we are, after all, pixeljoint... Kind of just kidding, but only kind of.

Edited by Saboteur
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 4:43pm
An idea for the mouse... why not make it a weapon he uses like a yo-yo thingy he can whip out at enemies?
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

Quote stryder Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 6:27pm
how about half mouse half cursour (not sure how to spell it i was talking about the arrow)

Edited by stryder
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 6:38pm

Eh? I like the idea of it not really being one solid thing, hence the random changes. And when you say mouse, pixelblink, do you mean the breathing mouse, the plastic mouse, or the cursor? I think the idea of a sidekick is that it can be "activated" and swish forward, spinning like a pinwheel, and attack something nearby. Or maybe it could be used to get in the smaller of places, and open doors... I think it set as a weapon would take from its interactivity.

Unless it was a mouse on a leash that you could use to beat things with. That would crack my ass up. "HA!" I would say, "That's amazing!" and I'd proceed to beat the pixellated breathing mouse against the nearest available door.

Any other ideas for a mascot? otherwise, I'd like to see what Istvan could do as far as walking and jumping go. Man, I sound pushy. No rush, Istvan, no rush. BUT WAIT. You can, I'd like it, but I forgot that we have yet to see Sedge's submission.

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:35pm
well I've done a Walking, Standing&Breathing, Jumping and Thumps up animation for the game prototype, im gonna release the prototype for the game in the game thread so that everyone can then continue it 
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:03pm

This is what I was originally thinking of Saboteur... but I do like the idea of having a live mouse on a leash.

I think we do need to keep it simple to begin with.. don't wanna overload anyone with too much just yet for the first game.... we could always add more into a second game, etc.

IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by sedgemonkey

OK, I found a few minutes to whip up an attempt inspired by iSTVAN...

o0o0o0o  I like that one the most so far. I think his hair should be shaded also. I'll have to whip up something for this later... I think we could use a new logo as well.. I don't wanna sound cocky, but it just look's kinda strange, and I think we could do better.

hahaha an idea for a mascot could be a Pixel Joint (Marijuana). haha kinda' crude but it goes with the name. Of course I'm kidding.

Edited by TakeOut
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Saboteur

And why not make a character of a joint? we are, after all, pixeljoint... Kind of just kidding, but only kind of.

I beat ya to that idea :P

And pixelblink, its a good idea, I like it. You guys are gonna have to help keep me in check, I get waaaayy ahead of myself sometimes.

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2005 at 11:47am
Originally posted by pixelblink

This is what I was originally thinking of Saboteur... but I do like the idea of having a live mouse on a leash.

I think we do need to keep it simple to begin with.. don't wanna overload anyone with too much just yet for the first game.... we could always add more into a second game, etc.

i dont really see that as a weapon....  ill edit your nerd and make some :)
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2005 at 10:14pm
I can easily see it as a weapon! Top stuff PB! It reminds me of the old DOS platformer, 'Trolls' (Google it if you havent seen it), where you use a yoyo to attack enemies (plus jumping on their heads), but you can also use the yoyo as a grabble hook like thing and swing on backgrounds. It worked REALLY well in that game, and I can see it working for us.
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2005 at 10:57pm

I gotta go to bed now, seeing as I still am in scchool and all :(

anyways, this is feeding off the beginning of this topic; Istvan wanted a character as a mouse. I tried, so far only really am happy with the head, even though its huge. Hopefully I can learn to be more cartoon-y.

Anyone have any ideas for the body? its just a draft, if its any good, I'll try make a 32 by 64 version, or somewhere in those dimensions. And in a sec I'll quote the idea.

I had this idea to design the mascot as a computer mouse with a face and arms and legs, but I had trouble not making it look like a bean.

The nerd idea could definately work! I'm gonna sketch up sometimes characters!

Ooohhh. So maybe I should just try make it a head and body combo...

I'll get back to you tomorrow, please post ideas anyways.

P.S. I'm still fighting with the nerd idea. Even though it is a well-done animation, I refuse to admit my nerdiness :P

Edited by Saboteur
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 02 April 2005 at 1:29am

A new possible mascot perhaps? You be the judge! More ideas the merrier.

even though the nerd idea has gone further.. dont you think that this is really fun, i mean imagine how many different games and scenes you could put this into..

<33
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:20pm

It looks like this topic has fizzled a little bit.  If no one else has anything further to add to this maybe we should wrap this topic up and get the mascot solidified. iSTVAN's nerd and Saboteur's mouse are my favorite submissions so far.

Maybe pixelblink's mouse weapon could be one use for Saboteur's mouse.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:33pm

Sedge: looks like every key topic has slowed down over the past bit. I agree though, iSTVAN rocked the house with his self-portrait and Saboteur wins with his mouse in my mind.

Let's some action boys n girls!

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

Quote iSTVAN Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2005 at 8:39am

Self portrait! Haha, pixelbitch! That just demanded a reaction.

Im not quite convinced though. The nerd idea, although I helped develop it, I find a little too cliche for my liking.

Ive had another idea for a mascot, I just havent found the time to pixel it. And the lack of enthuisism of the topic these days is enough to deterr me from finishing it - we pixel pushers are touchy types.

PS. Im saving my idea until I get the time, unless someone else wants to borrow it from me, in which case you can pm me, which I doubt anyone will do because I havent even told you yet, which I wont cos I want to keep it secret, unless youre really keeeeeen.

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 12:16am
Yeah I thought the nerd idea was cliche though I couldn't think of another fitting mascot. Sure you could do a pixel or a joint but thats pretty obvious if you ask me.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 8:39am

Originally posted by Akira

Yeah I thought the nerd idea was cliche though I couldn't think of another fitting mascot. Sure you could do a pixel or a joint but thats pretty obvious if you ask me.

Yeah, no abstract pixels or joints or buildings for a mascot. It has to be some sort of character. The nerd doesn't have to be the direction and I'm sure there are other great ideas. It's just the leading candidate right now in my mind.

IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 4:45pm

How 'bout... a dog?

was bored, whipped it up. I still think this:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/icons/icons/icon2615.asp

is a good option, with consent from the creator and maybe some resizing.

Edited by Saboteur
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 20 April 2005 at 10:13am

That looks a bit like the gay dog from South Park.

That grayscale pic is really quite nice. It really does represent "pixel art" quite well.

IP IP Logged
Qunit
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Qunit Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:59am

well, dunno if you still need a logo made .. but i gave it a shot :

It alwayz starts with only one pixel ...
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:20am

Niiiiiiiice.  I was thinking we could do a rotating logo with different designs... this is definitely a keeper.

IP IP Logged
Rifts
Commander
Commander

Quote Rifts Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2005 at 4:04pm
i thought the mascot/logo thingy was the guy in the link buttons wit
the big head hands n geeky glasses lol
IP IP Logged
zachriel
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote zachriel Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 9:44am
First of all I apologize for reviving this old thread, but it seems you never decided anything. And I got a lot of opinions out of reading what you've all said, so I can't be quiet about it.

iSTVANs nerd is of course really pretty, being new to this place I've already noticed he's a great artist, BUT. I still think it's not finished for being a mascot. I mean, all you've done to it is make a few dressed up dolls out of the nerd, you haven't edited it in any way so where's the
collaboration you were talking about?

I can see at least a weapon in his hand - a cursor used as a dagger. Not as a sword or an axe or a fork, but a dagger.

But what I really think is that we scrap the nerd as a mascot. It's a great piece artwise, but I believe it doesn't fit as a mascot for pixeljoint.

Originally posted by Saboteur

This is what I like better. A living pixel. The picture might not be a piece of art like you'd want it, but the idea is the best this far. Someone mentioned a pixel being able to transform would be a great idea, and I agree. the mascot could be a certain palette (in this case blue), a certain pair of eyes - and the rest would be imagination (though his pixel form would be the "main" form). If it is to be used in a game he could transform into his own weapon when fighting, or into a key if it's a puzzle game or something. And if it is for the website he could be used in all the buttons (left arrow, right arrow, add to favourite, etc) as they all could follow the palette and have the certain pair of eyes.

Now kick me hard for coming up with something new

Edited by zachriel
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 10:18am

This thread is indeed still active. As mentioned above, I think it'd be really cool to have a rotating header with different people's mascots/designs.  We haven't come up with the template size or rules yet so any idea is still fair game.

IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 1:19pm

Yeah, the shape changing woul be sweet, but please don't use mine, we all know its hideous

The one problem I have with a living pixel is that one pixel alone is really boring. We'd almost have to dress him up as something. Some logical ideas are giving him a cape with the PJ thing on the back, or dressing the pixel up with shades or something.

IP IP Logged
zachriel
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote zachriel Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 1:28pm
Perhaps we should have an army of pixels instead? I once read a Donald Duck cartoon where Uncle Scrooge (pardon my spelling, be happy I at least know the names..) dragged Donald and the triplets into space to collect somewhat magical moonrocks, or something like that. What they didn't know was that the moonrocks usually jumped around and melted themselves together into a huge rockmonster trying to eat all intruders.

Point is, we could have an army of pixels where nobody looks different to the other, but together they could joint into the most marvelous of creatures.

I know, my language is hidious..

Edited by zachriel
IP IP Logged
Rynov
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Rynov Replybullet Posted: 15 July 2005 at 2:15pm

Actually, your gigantor bold green text is hideous.
Shine my shoes, infidel! http://www.kamikazerocket.deviantart.com
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version