WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Larwick's Dump Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Larwick Replybullet Topic: Larwick's Dump Thread
    Posted: 21 February 2008 at 4:57pm
Ok so i don't wanna make a big deal out of this really. It's more like a quick dump of this stuff i've been doing lately, for fun to keep me occupied and to keep my pixel skills above ground. It's not like i'm gunna be trying to make this into a game atm, might make a mockup or two.

So, we've got some simplistic flat-styled gauges for the health and mana/magic equivalents in the 'game' on the top left. AAing them has been quite theraputic. I hope they look ok, i know my monitor shows some shades darker than most monitors would see them so i hope that hasn't made me mess up anywhere. Although hopefully some palette changing can fix that.

Next there're some cute little smiley faces in a similar style to the gauges, ranging from super happy to angry or sad. I'd imagine each creature in the game would have one of these on their profiles.

Stat icons below them to keep things very visual. I really dislike it when rpg's crowd their character profiles with text. At the moment i'm having a problem making one that signifies strength. I've tried chains, fists and bicep flexing images but they just don't work. Any ideas would be great.

On the right there're some fruit sprites i've made for what i'd imagine to be the inventory screen. I want to redo the pineapple's leaves but it's a bit of a hassle. Obviously the blue fruit doesn't actually exist in real life. As far as i know.

Then there're some scraps at the bottom. I'm unsure about the mango, i think it's too messy atm, i needed to do more planning on it probs. The little banana and pineapple were done first when all the fruit were fitted into the same 16x16 canvas, then i made the larger pineapple but then that was too far off scale so. And there's the first super smiley face, which i replaced with the tongue one, and then there's a heart that i don't have a use for atm.

I'll quite likely change the Juicesuit character yet again, as i'm getting negative vibes from the most recent one atm.
I do have a creature concept on the way, but i'm still unsure about it for the moment.

Soz for all the text.
Please crit and give opinions/ideas. Tar.

Edited by Larwick - 21 February 2008 at 4:59pm
IP IP Logged
DeProgrammer
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote DeProgrammer Replybullet Posted: 21 February 2008 at 5:07pm
I think all the fruits are awesome, including the mango. You could perhaps try a hammer for the strength icon, but it's not as self-explanatory as some of the other icons. I could see there being more 3D-ish meters and perhaps faces to match the cute fruits, but the current ones are still better than they could have been. :)
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2008 at 11:36am
Thanks DeProg.
I made some updates to that:

The scale for all the fruit is completely out of whack lol. But i'm not gunna be working on Juicesuit for a while now cus i got bored and it got annoying. Anyway, i have some more random scraps for my newly named dump thread...

Mini Rustbug & Insignia:

Made the mini rustbug and a tonne of other versions quite a while ago, but i never showed it since i had no real reason to. And that's the logo i've decided to use for Rustbug.

I made this about a year ago with Fil for some game, but i lost quite a few of the tiles and animations for it, which was a shame since i remember finishing them all. Anyway i thought i'd show it since i don't think i have before. Fil made a really cool little program that allowed you to customize your own map using these tiles, and i thought it was really awesome. Was like Advance Wars.

This is what i'm working on right now:

Lalalaaa..aalala.a.

Edited by Larwick - 09 March 2008 at 11:39am
IP IP Logged
Aleiav
Commander
Commander

Quote Aleiav Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2008 at 5:15pm
Wooooooww. I love the fruits. The mango is nice and the new pineapple is cool. I kind of like the different scales of the fruits. Keeps it interesting.

For a strength icon, have you tried a barbell? Maybe a vertical barbell or maybe one of those ton/old fashioned weights.

It's looking really awesome. :D
IP IP Logged
Sabata
Commander
Commander

Quote Sabata Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2008 at 6:47pm

Somehow water movement is not right to me, right now it looks like island is rising up and down… maybe more directional transaction in water waves will solve this. But hey, this water is much better than mine since I never did one (I am afraid of it)

We fall to rise again.
IP IP Logged
Monkey 'o Doom
Commander
Commander

Quote Monkey 'o Doom Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2008 at 7:20pm
Most of this stuff here is absolutely ace, but there are a few bits and pieces that stick out as needing fixes. The insignia over the rust bug looks rather poorly antialiased. I think the problem could be resolved by darkening the antialiasing color just a tiny bit or using two instead of one. One AA color is really hard to pull off and depends a lot on monitor setup, which can mean even executed properly it can look bad on some monitors (the placement is pretty good now, so it might not look bad at all on your screen). Having just one more color won't put you out of the power-of-2 range you're in for the insignia, and I think it would improve the smoothness.

One other thing is the long red vegetable that's on the far right. The way the segments are shaded, in combination with the black outline that's just past vertical on the right side, is causing it to show some pretty bad jaggies and look generally funky. Sorry that wasn't too descriptive, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. I guess it would also help if I knew what that veggie was.

Mini rustbug is cool but I personally would extend the barrel of the gun one pixel in length.

The water tiles are great, but the shore ones seem very regular. I suggest emphasizing the wavy aspect that appears at low water level when the water comes up. That'll show depth and look more natural. It'd be neat to see a mockup come of those, if what was lost wasn't the destroyed kind of lost.

RPG is numberwang.
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2008 at 12:16am
Love mini rustbug,I dont agree with MoD the barrel look fine like it is,gives it a cute look.But the aa on the insignia dosn't work.
Thats all i had,Awesome stuff Lar!

Edited by Reo - 10 March 2008 at 12:17am
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2008 at 4:38pm
Phew, sorry for all the text. You may wanna skip all this if you've only just seen this thread, there's something i need help with below.

@Aleiav:
Lol, mango is crap, i have decided. Barbell is a good idea, i think i considered it although i dont think i've actually had a go. I'll keep it in mind, although i'm unsure it'll look right within the tiny canvas restrictions.

@Sabata: This was the major critisism i recieved from Fil while working on the little project, i've had a go at seeing how it would look when two sides move before and after the other two, but it looks bad in my opinion. For some reason i find the whole sea rising and falling together to be quite aesthetically pleasing. Along with the fact that the island looks like it's made of sponge cake or butter, i guess the world that's being created by these tiles isn't trying to be so realistic like that.

@MOD: Omg, i thought that just as i uploaded it to photobucket, really. The little design i've showed of the insignia isn't meant to be a final piece or something that'll immediately be placed upon something larger, it's simply a concept - mainly to show the shapes i'll be using - and is (as noticed) quickly AA'd. I really should've mentioned, sorry. My monitor also isn't helping this issue it seems. Thanks though!
    I decided that big red veg would be a super crazy collossal chili. But yes you're definetely right, those jaggies are horrid. Especially in comparison to the subtly outlined pineapple next to it. I'll try and find a way to tone that down. :)
    Main reason i can figure for me making the barrel so short would be because i'm trying to fit the sprite into a certain canvas. Then again it's 19x17, which sounds a bit retarded. I had a go and it does look better with a longer barrel, much more like the normal Rustbug. I agree with Reo, i do quite like the cute, compactness of the sprite atm, but i'm swaying towards the longer barrel size now. Thanks!
    I'm not 100% what you mean about the waves, although i sortof get an idea. Might need more colours to do this though, i seem to be in larger palette moods these days... Anyway, maybe i'll get back into that soon. I should be able to add some more detail to areas like that.

@Reo: Thanks!

Thanks alot you guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so i received some good lil crits for my recent submission: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/30406.htm
I've made an edit but need opinions on it before i submit.
Made a lame shadow shape for his right hand, changed the palette, fiddled alot with the suit colours and in the end came up with this darker version plus some other nitpicks. Haven't changed the hand yet - i want to, but i don't know how. Might add a larger wrist/forearm. Anyway.

Sortof needs a midtone background... perhaps that's not a good thing.
Cheers.

Edited by Larwick - 10 March 2008 at 4:43pm
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 1:52pm
BAM.

I'm officially a doller.
Hahaha not.
IP IP Logged
BlackDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote BlackDragon Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 2:20pm
Haha, very nice.

Just a question, why do you pixel over that checkered background? For measuring I suppose?
IP IP Logged
Reo
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Reo Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 2:25pm
Nice as usual!
thoose dolls reminds me of skeddles stuff.
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks guys :)

@BlackDragon:
I didn't actually pixel over the checkered background, but yes it is for measuring.
IP IP Logged
Aleiav
Commander
Commander

Quote Aleiav Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 4:57pm
weeeeeird, what are those called? Munchkins?
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 5:05pm
Heh well i had an idea for a tactical or rpg game where you're an unnamed thing (above, that you could customize) and you went round building your group of weird creatures/monsters/people and battling things. Weyhey.

Munchkins, lawl.
IP IP Logged
Vidd
Commander
Commander

Quote Vidd Replybullet Posted: 19 April 2008 at 6:34pm
I love your style. It has developed really well.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version