WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Top-Down Game Mockup Post Reply Post New Topic
6dof
Seaman
Seaman

Online Status: Offline
Quote 6dof Replybullet Topic: Top-Down Game Mockup
    Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:32pm

So this is just a Mockup for Top-Down game I'm doing for no peticular reson. I have a few questions: is it to pillowshaded (the light source is above tho), how can I improve the tiles (floor and walls), and what different colors should I choose?

I wanted a dark, alien theme. The problems I'm having is picking out a good color to match the tubes, I am not to fond of the green(red and green reminds me of christmas and not laboratories  ). Also the wall and floor tiles are too busy for background ojects. There are two versions of the floor: original and light.

Please give  me some advice on how to improve the peice. Critiques are greatly appreciated!
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:40pm
To me the tubes seem like they are just there, but serve no purpose. Maybe have them connected to something?

I actually like the glowing green floor. But maybe have only the green glowing and not the gray.

As for what different colors you should use, only the red seems to stand out. Might change that to something darker, like purple maybe. I dunno.
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
Sabata
Commander
Commander

Quote Sabata Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:47pm

I don’t really get about what tubes you are speaking of…are you referring to those organic red things??

As for colors try to remember that a character is what supposed to be de center of attention so to do that don’t over do whit tiles, try using less saturated colors. The glowing floor actually looks cool, but make only the green glow (if you do that) and do change that red for something darker.

I like the character by the way….

We fall to rise again.
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:51pm
Yeah, I'm talking about the red ones that seem to be handing in the middle of nowhere.
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
6dof
Seaman
Seaman

Quote 6dof Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2008 at 11:36am
Those tubes are going to give off exhaust. By the way, the animation is only to show a comparison of the two floor choices, it's not to make a blinking\glowing effect.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 23 March 2008 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by greenraven

I actually like the glowing green floor. But maybe have only the green glowing and not the gray.

trust greenraven when he says that he likes the glowing green floor.

By the way, the red tubes aren't really desing wise... its more like they were draw to fill an empty space. (also they doesn't really match with the rest of the ambience of the machine). they are funky red hippie pipes in a clod hi-tech enviroment. as green raven suggested, try to replace these with more similar colors, and try to avoid the use of pure grays for the metals.

these background from Chronno Trigger may be a good reference for a dark themed installation. notice the use of pruple to insert more life into the darkness of the objects and walls.

I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
6dof
Seaman
Seaman

Quote 6dof Replybullet Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:48pm
Wow that's really helpful . I will include an animation for the glowing floors now that you two mentioned it. I think i will change the lightsource to a green too. Also,  the tubes I will change to look more mechanical to fit with the pistons. Thanks for all of the comments, I probably won't be posting now that I have so much to change!
IP IP Logged
AndyOaks
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote AndyOaks Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2008 at 2:41am

The shapes are excellent but feel a little lost at the moment.
Adding some darker shades to your palette would help a lot. You could then enhance the shadows.

IP IP Logged
6dof
Seaman
Seaman

Quote 6dof Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2008 at 5:12pm
Ok so here is an update which took less time than I thought:
And some test walks I made before I posted the WIP:
It changed a lot from the original, it is vey different but I like it. It matches what I originally had in mind color-wise but it looks way more industrial than I thought it would be (still cool though).
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 25 March 2008 at 5:30pm
Arms are used to balance biped walk cycles. For your forward walk cycle, the arms match their respective leg motions, as they should be the opposite.

So when the left arm is forward, the left leg is back, and vice versa.
"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version