Message Icon Topic: Rips v. Trace Post Reply Post New Topic
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote jalonso Replybullet Topic: Rips v. Trace
    Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:32pm

NOTE:
While easily discovered the pixelart and images shown are not meant to be an offense to anyone and are simply the first random examples that illustrate a point. If you have a piece shown here and you wish it were not. Please send us an alternative image that illustrates the same point.

This is just information but can also be a discussion on the subject NOT the members or their art. Anything personal will not be tolerated here, thx.

This is the current Pixeljoint view on the subject of Rips, traces and to some extent index paint/color reductions, which is capable of changing if you can clearly show and demonstrate why it should be different.

RIPS

This is a RIP: These are reportable and will get your ass ...

original art by X   submitted to gallery by Y

TRACING

This is a trace and NOT a rip. The focus here is pixelart technique and subject matter is not that important. Reporting these is fruitless because the original is not pixelart. However reference link should be given and if a member fails to do so you can ask for it... and should.

pixelart   pixelart over original reference

DUPLICATION

This is a Grid based pixelart and is not traced nor ripped but merely duplicated. In this case the subject matter means nothing. Execution is everything. You must be very careful when these examples come up. They are usually from demosceners and you have an equal risk of being embarrassed as you are to have a legitimate claim. Give the benefit of the doubt and be respectful. No harm sitting in the queue till resolved.
pixelart   scan of the grid and the original painting showing colors.

LINEART

These are NOT ripped nor traced, simply colored as practice. If you don't find this a problem then straight out tracing should not be a problem for you either.

The creator of the original lineart must be credited, and also must have given permission for it to be used as such. Sometimes, for example, WIP's can be posted in the forums that are only lineart, someone could use this as a lineart base when it was not intended as such.

SPECIAL NOTE: 'Dolls' are always tricky because dolls may come from some other forum or site always should have the link to the base. These often contain the flesh colored, or eyes, hair, etc. in and without a link we are unable to determine what is made by the artist, so a link to the base is required. Some dollers do create original pixelart so be repectful when asking. Remember they do bite ;)
artist X gives lineart freely artist K colors artist L colors

artist C makes lineart   artist P colors his way and alters the lineart artist W colors his way and traces the lineart

TEMPLATES

These are not RIPs nor traces because templates are given and they are for a project. Notice that in artist Js 'pixelart' over 60% of the pixels are from the template. The reason it is OK is because it belongs as part of a project with its own rules. The same applies to the second example.
template artist J uses template to create

template   artist G uses project template to create

REDUCTIONS

This is a REDUCTION which equals a trace and a rip and even worse because it violates the OPAAT figurative rule. Sadly, this makes us all look bad.
The reduction occurs by automated application features or filters (the color reduction, i.e. making a jpeg into an indexed version of the picture) that are then to make it worse, 'touched up' with pixels (the tracing). Not an actual rip but the result can be called because the pixelart is questionable.

original image the "pixelart" the "WIP" process the reduction

Edited by Larwick - 28 March 2008 at 5:39am
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:07pm
I think this thing was long over due. Kudos jal. 

There's just one thing, for tracing...
Originally posted by jalonso

Reporting these is fruitless because the original is not pixelart.

What about stuff that WAS pixelart? Like all those sonics and marios, the ones that aren't direct rips or reductions.

Edited by greenraven - 27 March 2008 at 9:06pm
"pwnage comes with patience, practice and planning." ~ Jalonso   
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:40pm
Sprite edits, you mean?
(too bad I don't have the EPIC RIP image at hand :P

Edited by Metaru - 27 March 2008 at 10:42pm
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 11:03pm
Don't really get it. What's the point of labelling the barely legal types of art creation? To define their position in pixeljoint's elite heirarchy?
(I'm baiting people :D)

(Worst)

PHOTOSHOPPED BACKGROUNDS
RIPS

Tracing - kind of like toplessness in Vancouver. Legal, but frowned upon by the general public.
Duplication - a step up from tracing. More acceptable, but still kinda sketch.
Lineart - purely educational, no harm done if the correct credit is given.
Templates - Like liquid lineart, cause you change lines. The further you stray from the template, the better it is considered.

100% ORIGINAL WORK
Nakedity pixels

(Best)

And @ greenraven, I believe that was a comparison to it being ripped. You can't call it a rip, because the underlying work is not actually pixel art and the artist never actually did anything but duplicate the original picture. I'm not sure why it isn't considered tracing, though. The scale difference, I guess?

Hence, reporting these as rips is fruitless, as they aren't?
"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
purpletree
Commander
Commander

Quote purpletree Replybullet Posted: 27 March 2008 at 11:17pm
i know this might sound funny but is a reduction like getting a photograph then resizing+recolouring it??/ i don't get it....
IP IP Logged
The B.O.B.
Commander
Commander

Quote The B.O.B. Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 5:20am
@Jal: Oh I know the definition of these, but still doesn't change my view of what should and shouldn't be in the gallery. All techniques described above are something to me that should ONLY be placed in the pj forums for shats and giggles. Gallery, in my opinion, is mainly for original user created art, in which case reference does NOT mean a direct trace or copy of someone else's art, or a portion of someone else's art. The Dragon Ball Z example does nothing for me, as it's pretty much a direct copy of the original, with some pixel art technique over it. The artist didn't really gain much from doing this, other than learning how to re-produce like a machine.

In any case, my statements above aren't written in stone, and aren't necessarily true. For all I know, I could be completely wrong, but it's still my opinion on the matter. I've just never been for and never will be for any form of unoriginal productions of art, to be displayed in a user's gallery, as if they produced it entirely by themselves(even if they place their "reference" info in the description...doesn't win them brownie points with me)...

My 2 pesos...
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:10am
Agreed B.O.B, but let's say a game company comes to Pj looking for a teammember. This person needs technichal help only so a 'colorist' is important and not a creator.
To be good at coloring you must practice, other's donated lineart and tracing is just a base on which to work from. This is real life procedure.

I think the distinction is to not place a 'PJ gallery worthiness sticker' but to judge each submission to the submitter's gallery and determine progress.
All progress is good therefore OK for an individual's gallery.

We often ask WIP posters to practice techniques to improve. Well coloring and tracing and grid painting helps with this when the focus is pixelart techniques and not design.

It's a very tough call and must be handled on a case by case basis. Art is subjective after all.

@ptree, if you take a jpeg photo and reduce it in size AND auto color reduce it then it is guilty of all mentioned above. This shows another example by kaltsu:

Edited by jalonso - 28 March 2008 at 6:13am
IP IP Logged
PixelSpy
Seaman
Seaman

Quote PixelSpy Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 7:03am
Interesting debate. I tend to agree with jalonso regarding lineart and tracing. It's similiar to say a tattoo artist. The vast majority of work a tattooist does comes from a tracing of someone else's artwork that a client brings in. The tattoo artist renders a tracing of the work, transposes it to a person's body and then basically colors and shades the work. The finished product ends up being something much more than the orginal artwork and in most cases reflects on the tattoo artist's indivigual style.

Is it then not a piece of art?
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 7:35am
Metaru and Saboteur, not exactly what I was talking about.

I can only think of two examples off the top of my head.
1: Someone too the old man from Zelda

And made him 5 times normal zoom and gave him a cane and a black outline.

2: Old flamy (flameruler13) took a bunch of NES sprites and made them iso.

Neither are rips, per se, and both were based on pixelart.

I know there's a few other examples out there, but all of that stuff has already been deleted, and I can't remember any others at the moment...
IP IP Logged
0xDB
Commander
Commander

Quote 0xDB Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:10am

TRACING

This is a trace and NOT a rip. The focus here is pixelart technique and subject matter is not that important. Reporting these is fruitless because the original is not pixelart. However reference link should be given and if a member fails to do so you can ask for it... and should.

So tracing is allowed(if reference is given), even if the original work or photo or whatever someone traces from is not his/her own work?
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:43am
I'm with BOB here.

If the same DBZ art would be posted at Pixelation, his ass would be banned or at least the thread deleted together with a strike.

You have a moderated gallery where you feel good enough to punish some people for not having the right art skills by rejecting their art, but you let these non-creators receive the fame they don't deserve? The DBZ piece is now in the weekly showcase for heaven's sake. It doesn't even belong under my boot...
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:30am
PixelSpy, anything can be considered art, it's just that some stuff is more widely considered art than others. :P

Gil, it's the fault of the members who rate the piece highly that it's in the weekly showcase. By linking the original piece in the description people should realise it should only be judged on the skill of the pixel art, rather than the concept or even the drawing itself - similar to the way lineart or template pieces should be viewed. The problem is that some people ignore this.

We don't 'punish' people for not submitting PA in high enough standards for the gallery, we implore them to improve it in the forums before resubmitting. We simply can't allow some pieces into the gallery because the effort involved is so low. The effort involved in pixelling that DBZ piece is much higher than alot of other pieces submitted to the gallery, you can even see the members progress as it is an update of an older version.

I disagree about the Pixelation thing, as long as he posted his reference i think he would simply be urged not to trace, but even so would probably recieve helpful comments and crits on the piece itself anyway.
Pixelation and Pixeljoint have different rules anyway. For instance a piece including NPA elements - as long as they're noted, are allowed in Pixelation but not here.

Dennis, i would say that members can only trace NPA drawings that they're given permission to trace. For instance someone can't go onto deviantart and grab a random picture, trace it and submit it. The problem is that getting permission from the creators of Dragon Ball Z would be a massive hassle, and i'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt for that. It sounds ambiguous but that's how i see things.

Greenraven, 1 is an edit, and therefore a rip. The second was a bit weird, the concept was interesting and the pixels weren't ripped per-se but i guess these days it wouldn't be accepted, since the only creative aspect was the concept and there is a lack of effort..etc

Edited by Larwick - 28 March 2008 at 9:56am
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:08am
The thing is simple: if you're tracing an existing image(yours or not) NOTE/MENTION/POST IT. failing at this means you're taking all the credit for the piece, wich can be ridiculous for things like the above mentioned Dragon Ball picture(turning you into an instant n00b).

We have Varock Shade, who has been reproducing two awesome portraits based on photos of people he know, where the main point is the development of technique.

I have been accused of tracing once too. how to make things clear? just simple post a WIP animation or keep in mind to save one when you know an imagen has a high/close use of references. even people who has some time around(and has build a well know reputation/credibility) is not free from being suspicious and/or reported by someone else. we're all the same, after all.

in the end, more than asking for permission (wich in some cases is simple imposible -Mr Toriyama, Can I trace your image?-) is as simple as being humble and give the proper credit. and that's all.

Oh yeah, I made something about the Color Reduction Edits too.

P.S:
Originally posted by Gil

The DBZ piece is now in the weekly showcase for heaven's sake. It doesn't even belong under my boot...

that's because the rating system is user-based, not mod-based. most users tend to be n00bs who drool for anything shinny, so the system is very suceptible of being easily abused(like making 30 accounts to put your crap up there)

we are man/woman of honor.

Edited by Metaru - 28 March 2008 at 10:13am
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Larwick

Gil, it's the fault of the members who rate the piece highly that it's in the weekly showcase.

It shouldn't be in the gallery in the first place, but yeah, it's insane that people actually voted for it.

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Gil

...It shouldn't be in the gallery in the first place...

why, exactly?
should every colored lineart be removed too?
It seems the same thing to me and if one kind is allowed then the other is too.
Actually, with the trace you have to create the lineart (from the ref) whereas in the lineart you did nothing at all : /

Edited by jalonso - 28 March 2008 at 11:32am
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 11:42am
He didn't just copy the lines but also every bit of shading. There is 0% skill involved in this except maybe for the AA and dithering.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 11:54am
Gil you and I are gonna have to agree to disagree.
I will however make a list of certain gallery pixelart pieces for you to yay or nay for me...if you can.

*if you can = without contradicting yourself.
*** start with these
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12082.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12900.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/14760.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/8345.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/16752.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/15375.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/28145.htm

I could go on and on.

Edited by jalonso - 28 March 2008 at 1:09pm
IP IP Logged
Larwick
Commander
Commander

Quote Larwick Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 1:01pm
Lol huh Jal? Helm did that from scratch didn't he?
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by Gil

...It shouldn't be in the gallery in the first place...

why, exactly?
should every colored lineart be removed too?
It seems the same thing to me and if one kind is allowed then the other is too.
Actually, with the trace you have to create the lineart (from the ref) whereas in the lineart you did nothing at all : /

Jal, The YES/NO voting system is user based. as it user based, multiple critaria are used to judge a pice. some (like you) focus only in technique. some (like me) focus on either technique, concept, and general creativity and/or presentation. and others just don't care and just voted based on appealing. its all about being arbitrary.

for me, that little thing was fine, even when I voted NO. why? because I'm not really fond of DBZ.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

Quote Saboteur Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 3:16pm
I`d nay* the love bot and the gbc portrait, as they both show almost no originality (A couple colours changed) and were just created to fare well in a competition or to see how well one could reproduce a picture in certain restrictions.

* I`m not mean enough to actually nay them, as they show more skill than some of the `original`pieces that got in. It would be good, however, if they were denied their chance at the weekly and monthly tops (secretly, of course) as most of their appeal (in the robot especially) lies within the artwork of the reference.

The reason I`d take their ranking away is because many of the voters don`t seem to look at references and make snap decisions based on what the pixel looks like in the end. In this way, obviously, capturing a very good artwork in pixel art gives the artist an unfair and undeserved advantage.
"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:01pm

Tarro, the Original Non-Original character.

C'mon! its not always about being original. these two were made with a focus in technique. or else, no one here (or anywhere)could claim to be original(we all know why)

There's no rule or regulation about how people should/must vote. if you just like it, vote yes, and its completly valid. if you took your time, check the color count, study its reference, study the style, zoom to find any posible flaws in technique, etc. and consider it not good enough for the gallery, then vote NO, and its completly valid too.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:17am
Okay, jal, most of them are okay as far as I can tell, because I don't have further info. I'm assuming for example that Helm used no reference on the Spartan, or else it would be an elaborate color study, but no more. Which is still valid for gallery since it's still a sh*tload more work than pixeling a DBZ piece over an image.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/14760.htm#
This one is a little hairy. I can't tell if he posted the Grateful Dead logo as a reference from the start, but he should have. Seeing the skill of rendering and the whole giant thing is awesomely done, reference should be more than enough.

Okay, this one is not tolerated to me. It's obvious that there's references used on the faces, and they are not mentioned. If no proof to contrary can be given, there's no reason to remove it from the gallery, but this should have gotten a very deep inquiry.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/15375.htm
Yeah, this one, tricky one. Try making one of those GBC portraits yourself, then claim there's no skill involved, I'll call you crazy. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure if this is art. It's dubious, but since I can't really put a finger on it, it'd stay.

Originally posted by Metaru

for me, that little thing was fine, even when I voted NO. why? because I'm not really fond of DBZ.

That's the most insane thing I heard in a while. This is an art forum and if you can't stick to maturely studying art for what it is, your place is not here. Subject matter is not a reason for rejection of any kind and so shallow it sickens me.

Edited by Gil - 29 March 2008 at 2:32am
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Gil

Okay, this one is not tolerated to me. It's obvious that there's references used on the faces, and they are not mentioned. If no proof to contrary can be given, there's no reason to remove it from the gallery, but this should have gotten a very deep inquiry.

I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:58am
That's a list of people used for reference, where's the actual photos used?

Besides, after you mentioning that you vote YES/NO on pieces based on your selfish, shallow opinion on subject matter, I don't think it's really appropriate that you join this discussion.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 5:14am
why? because its my selfish shallow opinion? the criteria I use on the queque has nothing to do with this topic point, wich is simply the difference between Rips and Traces. looking down others opinion isn't the best way to argue, I must say. neither taking this as a personal crusade.

Again, the point of this thread I believe is purely Educational.

(as for Jaeden, why not asking her directly, instead of ranting here? I'm sure she'll gladly give her references... yet she may not look you very well for asking photos of her husband :/)
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 11:04am
I don't think the one of her husband is necessary, one or two references for the faces would quickly clear up how much skill went into them.

Also, this has nothing to do with a crusade, I just want to raise some awareness and show people they can't just trace and copy over stuff and call it art.

About your way of judging art, it's your call, I just hope that you start acting like a mature being next time you get to push that yes/no button.
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Gil

I just want to raise some awareness and show people they can't just trace and copy over stuff and call it art.

Since this topic has turned into a philosophical debate I guess I'll drop in my two cents.

Isn't the majority of art copy/tracing? I mean, an artist looks at a landscape, a person, an object and copies that onto a canvas be it digital or traditional. Everything is already there, it simply has to make the transition from the artist's eyes, through the hands, and onto the canvas.

In my humble opinion, art is about learning, about growing, about expressing the artist's feelings. So what's more important at this point in the debate? The ends? Or the means?

Like I said, since this topic got derailed from it's original purpose of what's acceptable in the gallery and into a debate of artistic differences and styles.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:22pm
Let's get back on topic then :)
This thread is informational about how PJ feels about gallery submission regarding certain artistic decisions.
The rating and voting system are irrelevant on this subject and truly irrelevant anywhere.
You create, you submit, you accept the public's view. Focusing on the ratings and votes is doing nothing toward your own craft. As long as you keep improving and its better than your last (to you) all is good.
IP IP Logged
Gil
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Gil Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:33am
I just want to protect the pixel art trade. Whenever a guy puts a "made in MSPaint" video online, he disgraces our art form, and it is our job to raise awareness of what pixel art is really about.

When you let artist draw pixels over DBZ art and submit it to the gallery, you're effectively destroying your own trade. There is nothing pixel art about it, except maybe for a few techniques used.
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 9:55am
Say what?

So "pixel art trade" means... CGA? EGA? VGA? These things have different meanings to some people, specify please.

Well, if we're going to go down that route, then any time a pixel artist pixels one of the seven wonders of the world, that could be considered a disgrace to the traditional oil and pastel based artists that came before them. Or even dare I say the original builders who happen to be artists themselves.

All art is subjective, all art is about perspective. This is now a purely a hypothetical and philosophical topic now. (Sorry jal, I just had to comment.) >_<

Edited by greenraven - 31 March 2008 at 9:56am
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Gil

I just want to protect the pixel art trade. Whenever a guy puts a "made in MSPaint" video online, he disgraces our art form, and it is our job to raise awareness of what pixel art is really about.

When you let artist draw pixels over DBZ art and submit it to the gallery, you're effectively destroying your own trade. There is nothing pixel art about it, except maybe for a few techniques used.

are you sure this is not a personal crusade? that really sounds like a William Wallace wannabe.

I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
greenraven
Commander
Commander

Quote greenraven Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2009 at 6:53am
Someone update the 404'd pics and sticky this baitch already! >:O
IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

Quote PixelSnader Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2009 at 11:49am
so i have a question, i'm working on a new technique for 1 bit images, what are your opinions in this?

I take a photo, put it as the base layer in PS.
On top of that i put several layers with dithers of foreground(FG) and background(BG) color. and on top of that another photoref for switching on and off regularly

for instance:

Photo ref
100%FG
75% FG    25% BG
50% FG    50% BG
25% FG    75% BG
100% BG
Photo ref

then i apply a layer mask to all these layers (except 100%BG.
then i build up layer by layer, drawing the darkest areas, then over that the lighter, and over that the lightest.

I then have a rough pixelized version of my photo, which i manually clean up.

for instance

What are your opinions on this? Please bear in mind that the lowest image is still heavily WIP, and the only parts which should possibly be considered finished are the door handle and bar area to the top left of it.

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2009 at 12:08pm
But...but...that's simply an 8bit color reduction :/
IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

Quote PixelSnader Replybullet Posted: 02 October 2009 at 2:28pm
not quite, this is colourreduced:

a lot more noise on the walls and bars, no sheen on the lamp and no reflection of the door closer.

Edited by snader - 02 October 2009 at 2:30pm

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version