WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Medici(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Medici
    Posted: 21 February 2010 at 5:17pm
While I continue to battle the Picasso SHMUP I thought DaVinci with his inventions could make a cool looking mockup. I figured that if the MonaLisa is not clear and right the whole thing won't work so I started with her dialog portrait. I don't think making her look just right was the way to go so I tooned her up a bit.

First bit of help is with the scale of the game sprites so I can develop the tiles.

Should sprites be more realistic in the Castlevania style?
or
More chibi and cute?

c+c by all welcome.

Edited by jalonso - 15 March 2010 at 11:39am
IP IP Logged
RollerKingdom
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 21 February 2010 at 6:05pm
I prefer the characters into a chibi style :) looks much better imo
IP IP Logged
Dhr. Bosch
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 February 2010 at 3:48am
castlevania! chibi does not fit the rennaisance!
Vanitas, vanitatum omnia vanitas
IP IP Logged
Perkele
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 22 February 2010 at 11:18am
Personally I'd prefer chibi style. Can't wait to see the development of another awesome art mock-up. You should definitely give Escher or Magritte a try one day. 
IP IP Logged
bonehead11
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 22 February 2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Dhr. Bosch

castlevania! chibi does not fit the rennaisance!

Chibi will make the faces more recognizable, but I have to agree castlevania all the way!
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 February 2010 at 6:28pm
Love the little guys. Three-eyed mutant?

Looove Jesus-Mona. We all know she was a man, do you really have to give her a beard? :D
IP IP Logged
meagz
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Perkele

Personally I'd prefer chibi style. Can't wait to see the development of another awesome art mock-up. You should definitely give Escher or Magritte a try one day. 

that would be awesome. apples and top hats everywhere. and pipes!
IP IP Logged
meagz
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 February 2010 at 2:00am
on topic,
i think the bottom of her chin should line up with the bridge of her nose and her nostrils
and give her a pit in her neck, a little 'v' at the end of it
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 25 February 2010 at 1:55pm
I have decided to go cute 3/4 view. Castlevania style seemed OK and was my first instinct but that style is better suited for fight/action. I think this mockup will read best and make more sense as a puzzler quest. The hero is old and inventions are crucial, me thinks.

Fixed chin as meagz pointed out.

Preliminary flying thing.

Interior 'Last Supper' room.

Preliminary buildings in a Florentine style... : /

Edited by jalonso - 25 February 2010 at 1:55pm
IP IP Logged
meagz
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 27 February 2010 at 12:22am
argh the cathedral is toppling towards me!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 27 February 2010 at 2:46pm
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 27 February 2010 at 6:42pm
The bell-tower (?) enclosure doesn't look like one at first.
Second thoughts: it's probably not an enclosure. But what is it then?
Maybe the tower could be higher too?

Cathedral walls are a bit noisy.
Cool perspective cheats!

Both doorways look out of persp, more frontal when the buildings themselves look more top-down.
IP IP Logged
meagz
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 27 February 2010 at 11:00pm
i liked your first ones better, the perspective seems weird but i think its because you've only shaded the roofs (rooves?) on them.
2nd ones remind me a lot of the legend of zelda: link to the past SNES graphics. i love the doors. for some reason i thought the buildings were inside a larger building though.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 28 February 2010 at 9:47pm
This mixing of two perspectives is proving quite challenging. Tried this but will have to fix a lot of stuff if not start over :|

Edited by jalonso - 28 February 2010 at 9:47pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 01 March 2010 at 7:33pm
better ?

IP IP Logged
Dhr. Bosch
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 01 March 2010 at 9:51pm
absolutly

IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 7:10am
I think I prefer yesterday's cathedral, but both are great anyway.
Bell tower: maybe an in-between perspective for the rooftop?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 11:33am
@Manupix - in-between tower roof.

IP IP Logged
Elk
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 12:27pm
Hey jal, looks really awesome! :))) +cuddle+
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 12:54pm
*+cuddle+,+cuddle+ +cuddle+*

Seems I may need 15 screens to tell the story. Rough layout...

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 02 March 2010 at 7:25pm
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 2:02pm
No c+c

IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 2:06pm
Looking great, nothing I can point out that looks bad.
IP IP Logged
Petrichor
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:32pm
Some assorted text C+C:

I don't know if it's the open bits or the drop shadow/low contrast or what, but some of the letters on the scrolls there are pretty hard to read (especially the P in "press"). Might be mitigated if this is being viewed at a larger size (click-zoom seems to indicate yes), though.

I am not sure I am digging the CapitaL letter style either with the ones on the end... maybe just a matter of taste but it seems so hackish next to how pretty and old-fashioned the rest of the interface is, and is especially glaring on the "Collection" banner. Also, extremely minor nitpick, if the text on the Collection banner is final (doesn't look like it is, so yeah I should probably just hush), I'd scoot the whole text line up a pixel or two.

The yellow "Items" is pretty hard to read on the woodgrain, even with the black stickering. Again, mitigated at a higher size.

Really, really loving the woodgrain and that velvet display case. Other than the text issues I am infatuated with how super-cohesive the entire interface is. I want to touch everything; the textures are so rich.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 4:42pm
Petricor, all type and GUI is very temporary. I haven't even started looking at font style yet.
This is my way of working things out and determining which colors are needed and which are not. I started these 3 screens so that I know what will go in the in-game screens and stuff.
I can now go back to the in-game screens with a sense of purpose and these screens will surely get reworked.

Vitruvian Man will be the title screen - Red lines are wood carvings on middle screen.

Edited by jalonso - 03 March 2010 at 4:43pm
IP IP Logged
Petrichor
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 4:49pm
Duly noted :P Wasn't sure, since so much of it looked nice and polished.

Nice Vitruvian man. You should leave it exactly like that. :D
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 03 March 2010 at 5:50pm
Not much to say without ass-patting.

Somehow the word 'physics' associated with Leonardo doesn't seem right. I don't think he can be said to have worked in physics, at least the wikipedia page doesn't use the word.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:49pm
Dat true, Manu, I'll fix next round.

Inside Catherdral and Leonardo's studio

IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 12:31pm
Hey, sorry to post late, but I'm so bowled over by this project (with respect, probably the most impressive stuff you've done yet - no offence to earlier stuff!) and had nothing I could add. But I must step forward to halt a potential injustice! ;)

To wit: Seeing the book of physics in the mock-up really gave me a thrill (the suggested play opportunities - even for a mock-up - really started to connect for me) and I'd even go so far as to say that it would allow for an element of technology (even if anachronistic) that always spices up a fantasy. It's an aspect of Leonardo's life that isn't often touched upon. His paintings and notes and inventions, yes, but the science he so rigourously used to achieve these great things? Usually forgotten.

Here, though, is a Wikipedia page which does mention his obvious skills in physics (essential for any engineer).

So please don't change the title of your book item!

Ahem...now I guess I'll try a couple comments:

I miss the original cathedral design (and the yellow colour) and I'm not sure why that changed when you fixed the perspective. The new bell tower, however, is a striking improvement.

The 'Vitruvian Man' circle is wider than the square, not just taller (this part is very WIP though, so if ya knew dat already just ignore me - I'd deserve it).

Are the bright red outlines in your item menu a WIP element, there to suggest a future engraving detail for example? If not, I have to say it looks better without (again, a severe round of spurn for me if ya knew dis already).

And now to slip in a bit of patting before I leave: This resolution reminds me of the GBA (a system I favour greatly) and I am compelled to say - especially with images like your cathedral interior - that this project looks as good or better than even its best games. I stand truly in awe.

Definitely excited to see more.
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 4:23pm
Haha, controversy! 

I decidedly disagree.
Engineering and/or technology, certainly yes, even though not so many of Leonardo's inventions actually materialized in his time.
Natural sciences, without a doubt.
But physics: no.

I'd venture to say there wasn't a physics in his time. There had been before, thanks to the ancient Greeks and Arabs among others, but the decisive founder of modern European physics is usually considered to be Galileo; and that's 100+ years later.

/OT nerdish rant

How about 'Book of Inventions' ?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 5:31pm
You two sort it out and I'll comply.

The copy and asking for food is to justify the marketplace screen...
...I'm VERY open to ideas of what she should be saying.

Inside Leonardo's painting studio.

Originally posted by Ninja Crow

...I miss the original cathedral design (and the yellow colour) and I'm not sure why that changed when you fixed the perspective...

Just trying different colors and stuff, I like yellow too.

Originally posted by Ninja Crow

...Are the bright red outlines in your item menu a WIP element, there to suggest a future engraving detail for example? ...

Yes, these will be carvings.

Edited by jalonso - 05 March 2010 at 5:35pm
IP IP Logged
Phones
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 6:25pm
That text is REALLY small there. I can barely read it.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 8:48pm
Too small to read is not good.

Edited by jalonso - 05 March 2010 at 9:16pm
IP IP Logged
Phones
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 05 March 2010 at 11:01pm
It's still not as readable as it should be. Perhaps remove the transparency on the text box and remove the text shadow?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Phones

It's still not as readable as it should be. Perhaps remove the transparency on the text box and remove the text shadow?

hmmmm. I can't make the type any bigger cuz the Map and Collection screens will be thrown out of whack. Maybe I'll try outlining and see if it helps.

ps: There is no transparency. That panel is hand pixelled using opaque colors.

E:

Edited by jalonso - 06 March 2010 at 10:49am
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 2:08pm
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 2:16pm
Hi J, just wanted to say that I personally didn't have a problem with the text readability, and maybe the white is just shocking because I'm not used to it, but is there some way to tone it down? (he says, offering no suggestions as to how. Except maybe to try grading the white so that it's more of a white drop shadow?)

Hi Manupix! You may be right about Leonardo da Verysmart, but if somebody really wanted to consider him the first physicist, they would have the following evidence to work with:
Galileo's section in the history of physics article shows the following areas of work and achievement:
  • Mathematics
  • Medicine
  • Astronomy (including the true nature of our relationship to the sun's orbit)
  • Mechanics (including experiments that foreshadowed 'Universal Gravitation')
  • Invention of the Telescope
  • Experimentation
I believe I only had to skip over the mention of 'law', 'philosophy', and 'theology' in the entire section.

Now rewind a century and check out this Leo guy:

Mathematics
From a summary of da Vinci [Leonardo Da Vinci from Macmillan Science Library: Mathematics. Copyright © 2001-2006 by Macmillan Reference USA, an imprint of the Gale Group. All rights reserved.]:
Originally posted by Macmillan (1)

Leonardo was more than a painter: He was a scientist and mathematician who explored botany, mechanics, astronomy, physics, biology, and optics. Leonardo developed prototypes of the modern helicopter, submarine, and parachute, and he attributed his scientific discoveries to mathematics. He wrote, "There is no certainty in science where mathematics cannot be applied."
(emphasis mine) and also:
Originally posted by Macmillan (2)

Although Leonardo dabbled in different areas of mathematics, geometry was his chief focus. He discovered a proof of the Pythagorean theorem, dissected various geometric figures, and illustrated a book about geometry and art. At one point in Leonardo's life, a friend of his noted that "his mathematics experiments have distracted him so much from his painting that he can no longer stand his paint brush."
(emphasis mine - these summaries can be found here.)

Medicine
Leonardo is, of course, famous for his work with dissection, and although he couldn't overcome many of the limitations or misconceptions of the day, he helped to illuminate many of the mysteries of the human body. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
Originally posted by Wikipedia (1)

Leonardo's drawing inspired a British heart surgeon to pioneer a new way to repair damaged hearts in 2005.(4)
(the entire section of his work with anatomy can be found here.)

Astronomy
From another summary of da Vinci [Leonardo da Vinci from World of Physics. ©2005-2006 Thomson Gale, a part of the Thomson Corporation. All rights reserved.]:
Originally posted by Thomson Gale (1)

Leonardo also formulated several accurate astronomical theories, including one which stated that the Earth rotates around the Sun, and another stating the Moon shines because of the Sun's reflected light. Leonardo postulated that the shadowing image of the full moon that appears cradled between the horns of the crescent moon each month is illuminated by light reflected from the Earth, a conclusion that was reached by German Astronomer Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) a century later.
(this summary can be found here.)
And from Wikipedia:
Originally posted by Wikipedia (2)

"The earth is not in the centre of the Sun’s orbit nor at the centre of the universe, but in the centre of its companion elements, and united with them. And any one standing on the moon, when it and the sun are both beneath us, would see this our earth and the element of water upon it just as we see the moon, and the earth would light it as it lights us."(3)(8)
(emphasis mine - this article section can be found here.)

Mechanics
A full list of Leo's inventions and musings on unbuilt machines would be difficult here, but a few salient quotes may summarise:
Originally posted by Wikipedia (3)

Leonardo was a master of mechanical principles. He utilized leverage and cantilevering, pulleys, cranks, gears, including angle gears and rack and pinion gears; parallel linkage, momentum, centripetal force and the aerofoil.
Because Leonardo's inventions date from an era before the issue of patents, it is impossible to say with any certainty how many or even which of his inventions passed into general and practical use, and thereby had impact over the lives of many people. Among those inventions that are credited with passing into general practical use are the strut bridge, the automated bobbin winder, the machine for testing the tensile strength of wire and the lens-grinding machine pictured at right.
(emphasis mine - from here)
Originally posted by Macmillan (3)

In 1495 Leonardo da Vinci designed a mechanical man capable of movement similar to humans'. Looking like a suit of armor, its inner workings are complete with pulleys, cables, and gears to make it move like the bones and muscles in the human body.

Using the principles behind Leonardo's mechanical man, modern-day engineers have manufactured a new type of robot—the anthrobot. More human-like than other types of mechanical robots, anthrobots have greater flexibility, dexterity, and motion. The human-like movements of the anthrobot have made it an ideal choice for NASA's space exploration program and the construction of a space station.
Originally posted by Thomson Gale (2)

Leonardo's interest in mathematics soon led him to provide several approaches to squaring the circle (constructing a square with the same area as a given circle) using mechanical methods. In his notebooks, Leonardo described and drew plans for both a telescope and a mechanical calculator.
Grandfather of the computer o.O? (emphasis mine - from here)
Originally posted by Thomson Gale (3)

...at the age of 15, Leonardo was sent to Florence, where he became an apprentice painter under Italian sculptor and painter Andrea del Verrocchio (1436-1488). It was during this apprenticeship that Leonardo became absorbed in science, and his interest in technical and mechanical skills was already leading him to sketch various machines.
(from here)
And of course, foreshadowing Newton's Universal Gravitation:
Originally posted by Thomson Gale (4)

Through experimentation, Leonardo concluded that the velocity of a falling object is proportional to the time of its fall, predating Sir Isaac Newton's mathematical theory of force and gravity. Leonardo's greatest contribution to science and physics, however, may have been his belief that much of nature could be explained scientifically through a strict adherence to mathematical laws, a fundamental tenet of the philosophy of physics.

Telescope
Here is a quote from the American Physical Society itself, publisher of several scientific journals of physics:
Originally posted by APS (1)

His real achievements in this period were scientific. He devised several methods of squaring the circle, relying solely on mechanical methods, and wrote a book around 1498 on the elementary theory of mechanics. He also foresaw the possibility of constructing a telescope in his Codex Atlanticus (1490) in which he writes of "making glasses to see the moon enlarged," although the device would not be realized for another 100 years [most likely refering to Galileo - NC]. By 1513 he had expanded the basic concept, envisioning a means of projecting the image of a single planet onto the base of a concave mirror, the reflection of which would magnify the surface of the planet.
(emphasis and notation mine - from here)

Experimentation
Touched on already in the 'Thomson Gale (4)' quote from above, and also necessary for the practice of medical dissection, mentioned above, but here is another quote detailing his precise observations of many natural phenomena:
Originally posted by APS (2)

His observations were often accompanied by precise illustrations of the objects or phenomena under analysis, along with explanatory notes, and over his lifetime he amassed volumes of such notebooks detailing studies ranging from astronomy and the formation of fossils to the growth of plants and action of light.
Da Vinci was a rarity in his era for his emphasis on repeated testing of direct observations—a principle which underlies the method of scientific study that dominated well into the 19th century. For example, he undertook a systemic study of the flight of birds, and tried to apply those same principles in his designs for a flying machine. As such, da Vinci bridged the gap between an unscientific, highly superstitious medieval approach to scientific questions—which frequently bore more similarity to philosophy than science—and the empiricism of later ages.
(emphasis mine - found here)

Summary
So we can see that in every significant way, Leonardo da Vinci was a forerunner (both spiritually and literally) of all the work which recognises Galileo Galilei as a father of modern physics (and I would add Leonardo's pioneering work in optics - foreshadowing Newton's work on the subject - which makes his own list at least one longer than Galileo's...).

The problem is that only Leonardo's artistic work was well known, and his scientific contributions had to be rediscovered, and only became widely recognised in the 20th century:
Originally posted by Wikipedia (4)

By the 19th century, the scope of Leonardo's notebooks was known, as well as his paintings. Hippolyte Taine wrote in 1866: "There may not be in the world an example of another genius so universal, so incapable of fulfilment, so full of yearning for the infinite, so naturally refined, so far ahead of his own century and the following centuries."(101)
And here is a beautiful quote from the BBC which sums it up nicely:
Originally posted by BBC

If all this work had been published in an intelligible form, da Vinci's place as a pioneering scientist would have been beyond dispute. Yet his true genius was not as a scientist or an artist, but as a combination of the two: an 'artist-engineer'. His painting was scientific, based on a deep understanding of the workings of the human body and the physics of light and shade. His science was expressed through art, and his drawings and diagrams show what he meant, and how he understood the world to work.

So my position is based on this evidence, and can therefore be modified in the face of better evidence, and thus I it put it forward as merely my current understanding, not a cherished belief to be dogmatically held, and would love to hear about anything you think would change this viewpoint (oh, and I might as well take this opportunity to mention that I have great respect for you as an artist, to help show that this long diatribe is a fun exploration of facts, and not meant to be anything personal against your ideas, honest!).
Thanks!

p.s. Eh, Jalonso, how do you best bake a potato? :)            
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 2:36pm
I must say that is the best case for your position imaginable, XD.
Several things on there has given me ideas... Botany too o.O

As you said before. This is a game based on the life of, and not a historical account. Many things are credited to him that did not exist in his time. My idea has been to throw in enough historical facts to be belieable with a good dose of the fantasy too.

His flying machine never worked and was never even built yet I'm using it as the vehicle to travel from city to city (once invented/complete).

In the end, it's just a mockup.

___
Turn oven to 450 - throw in the tater for 40 min - do not pierce it so you can watch it explode in the oven -enjoy :p

Edited by jalonso - 06 March 2010 at 2:36pm
IP IP Logged
Dhr. Bosch
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 3:41pm
@: ninjacrow: Long posts F! T! W!
i'd award you with an internets for effort alone, but it's jalonso's topic so i'd feel out of place.

Originally posted by jalonso

Turn oven to 450 - throw in the tater for 40 min - do not pierce it so you can watch it explode in the oven -enjoy :p

aren't you supposed to put tinfoil on there at one point? i'm usually a pretty good cook But i'm not sure about this because i hate taters unless cut into strips and deepfried.

anyway. your mockups for dali and jeroen bosch where awesome because they managed to capture the style of those artist very well while still adding your own style. i feel this mockup is more of your own style with some spinkles of davinci in it. i say you can play around with the style more.
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 4:16pm
/Nerdz :P

Wonderful, I initially thought that Castlevania was better, but I've changed my mind :D

2 things that are bugging me; the helicopter thing looks a bit sloppy, yellow highlights where they are on the sail makes it look 3D.
And the Mona Lisa portrait, you've probably not finished but I think it's got a couple of likeness issues, namely the mouth and nose, and that the eyes are like a pixel too high. Needs some more shadows too imo.
Whipped up an edit, ignore the lazy-ass forehead

(i think that the main problem is that yours' face and features are too angular)

The rest is pure sex, especially that chapel! <3
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:15pm
@Dhr. Bosch, Realistic or cute was my original question and problem to solve. At this stage I have to ride the cute ride. Your point however, is excellent and something I'll always wonder once this is complete.

@Jeremy, The helicopter thing is preliminary and the angle is all wrong. That I will remake entirely once I get to that screen. That was made when I was testing different perspectives.

Your edit of Mona is just perfect. You totally nailed it. I will have to change mine to be like yours and may possible RIP you, if allowed. I knew she had problems and you've come through <3
E:

I reviewed your edit and found it to have far more colors than I wanted to ever use on Mona Lisa. I want her to have a more gaming cell-shaded portrait look. I did use the roundness of the face you made because I was just not getting it right. I do think it has improved so a huge thanks.

I'm drawing a blank of what to use for items to be found. A treasure chest is so overdone and pots are too Zelda. Would barrels make sense?

Type outline toned down.

Edited by jalonso - 06 March 2010 at 8:21pm
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:20pm
(btw, I used only colours you had used in the face, except for the blue which was in the background :P )

Your newest looks great :D
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:35pm
I did notice that the blue was in there. Currently I have 92 colors overall and eventually I have to bring that down. Once I have a final polished palette I'll review everything again and touch up wherever needed.

This palette is some old thing that was in my Pixel Blackhole Folder.  I had forgotten how easy it is to use and how every color works well with others. Next update I'll post it so anyone may freely use it.
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 06 March 2010 at 10:43pm
I'd give the text a solid white border completely independent of the banner's background:

As well, your Mona Lisa has a very gaunt face. If you're going for a more heavily realistic version of the actual painting, she needs to be much more plump.

Edited by AngelOTG - 06 March 2010 at 10:46pm
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 1:52am
I love the brown & yellow background for your text box. and I noticed that the white outlines looked great on the map screen (they coincidentally have a near 50-50 mix of brown and yellow, which gives them an amazing look, even if they didn't reflect any underlying image) so the newest outline colour is a great solution, imo.

I love the engraving on the menu screen wood! This is a bit redundant, because I can't find any detail I don't love!

Except...the new face. Your second face, posted on Feb 25th, nailed it in both whimsical, Cheshire Cat expression, and endearing stylised lines - not too realistic, not too cartoony - I was going to mention that the first face was too rough, but then you touched it up and bowled me over - perfection.

The newest face looks like Christopher Walken. Seriously. Smelling something nasty.

It is not my intention to be negative - this merely reflects my attachment to the second iteration, when I first realised 'yes, this is going to be perfect' - so please don't mess with perfection!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:44pm
...The newest face looks like Christopher Walken...

As promised.

Not 100% optimized - 127 colors (many uneeded but there just in case)
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:56pm

...The newest face looks like Christopher Walken...
Sorry....

As promised.Not 100% optimized - 127 colors (many uneeded but there just in case)
Cool! And we can really do whatever we like with it?
IP IP Logged
bonehead11
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 1:53pm
Great work so far!There are some things that bug me:
1.Her hands pointed it out...

2.Her face looks flat...
Good luck
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 2:25pm
Some touch-ups from suggestions given.
Whole new garden maze.
Current idea for items is that you can only get stuff if you have the right wand for it.
Wood wand = yellow, Crystal wand = blue, Cardinal wand = red... yes?

@Ninja Crow, yes free for all palette. Its not optimized yet but its such a pleasure to work with. Almost any color works with any color. Too many 'near white' shades tho. Notice no true black or white
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 4:53pm
Looking great. I think it could use some zelda puzzles. Something a little complicated but fun. Maybe add riddles or something, haha.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version