crecs @ 12/21/2020 12:05 commented on ...

Beautiful scene. I think the preview image will cause lots of people to miss out on it. I really love how you made the magenta clouds work

crecs @ 12/21/2020 12:01 commented on Pixel Dailies: Valley

This is a real sleeper hit, shoulda got more faves. Love the piece. The sheep heads do look a little dark for such a brightly lit scene, but that's my only critique.

crecs @ 8/10/2020 15:52 commented on 64x64 RPG Barbarian

This is such a good piece, not just because it is at a non-traditional angle (an angle you would not normally find yourself viewing a human from), but it is also compact and yet not messy. I lolled at Quiara's description of "Frazetta musculature", that's a good way to put it . Great job!

crecs @ 6/23/2020 10:55 commented on Dark Forces of Evil 4 Colors

Gorgeous, I notice that each character is given some special artistic flairs, which makes me wanna keep looking back at the sprites again. Not busy, but flowing with energy. Very nice. And inspiring, I must say.

crecs @ 5/25/2020 19:16 commented on Self-portrait for web-portfolio layout

Oh, I wouldn't even touch the lines . You're free to do so, I just think it unnecessary and it opens up the chance that some of the meaning within the work is lost, or at least the meaning I found from it. But that's both the awkward and brilliant thing about digital art, especially pixel art: it can be "updated", and a work is never garaunteed to be "done".

crecs @ 4/14/2020 13:49 commented on Fisherman

This is simple, but beautiful. Maybe simple's not the right word, because I think the water ripples are pretty non-standard, and that's my favorite bit about this piece. But I also would call this "simple pixel art done right". It's not boring in the slightest, as many smaller pieces are. Good job.

crecs @ 1/26/2020 18:24 commented on Characters

I like these characters a lot, so many creative things going on, and such great use of color. It's deceptively simple and really great!

crecs @ 1/26/2020 18:21 commented on Monster

The animation is superb. Not too simple, but simple enough to get the job done, especially with the few frames used. And the monster is both cool and kinda cute.

crecs @ 1/26/2020 18:19 commented on The apple man

Really looks very good, and very stylistic, plus the apple just looks really well done. Looks like an Earthbound enemy too. I didn't get to see version 1.0, but based on the comments made, it looks like you executed the suggestions really well. It's a favorite from me!

crecs @ 1/26/2020 18:14 commented on creepy demon boi

I love its creepiness, and the inability to tell exactly what it is. And at the same time, it's striking uniqueness and its pose make it memorable, like a really good sprite out of an RPG. I dig it.

crecs @ 1/26/2020 18:12 commented on intro scroll up

Very cool. I dig the palette in each, and I think the left two are obviously more striking as they are not monochrome, but it's interesting to see it in monochrome, as well as two different color-palettes, to show off the versatility of the palettes themselves.

I see that the rightmost monochrome and the monochrome directly left of it are not equivalent, as in you can't just swap the colors to get one from the other. The color that lights the bridge for the left version is not in the sky, while on the right version it is in the sky. Of course this is fine but I think it would be better if the rightmost one were like its brother directly left in terms of placement of the four monochrome colors.

crecs @ 12/9/2019 10:07 commented on Dungeon re-Master

The dithering in this piece is crazy, and really good. It gives it a certain nostalgic feeling to it, which you were obviously going for. Well, you succeeded! These CRPG mockups generally do make the benefits of dithering shine, but that doesn't mean it's any easier to implement.

I haven't played Dungeon Master, might I ask what the eyeball monster is named?

crecs @ 12/9/2019 09:58 commented on Sad Jester

I dig it! The character is very well drawn. The colors seem a little too monochrome, or in other words, there's a lot of red, and it seems that red alone doesn't quite capture the full potential for the expression of loneliness in the jester. Hope you don't mind the constructive criticism, it really is quite good!

crecs @ 12/9/2019 09:51 commented on UI Mock-up

That UI looks fantasic! It's very flashy, which I'm assuming is because some powerup is ready to be used or whatever by pressing A.

Got an idea for an engine to use? There is of course Unity or Godot, both of which could mean an eventual port to console, and the latter of which seems is even more straightforward for pixel art in 2D than Unity. Disclaimer that I am a fanboy of Godot.

crecs @ 11/1/2019 07:29 commented on Rosa

Some of your Final Fantasy characters are a little skimpier than I remember them being in their respective games. But Rosa, yeah she was dressed for a summer in the Carribean even in the original game (at least the GameBoy Advance version). Also, I dig the new artstyle you're dabbling in.

crecs @ 10/13/2019 09:24 commented on Self Portrait, 2019

I dig the contrast, and the detail you put into the small resolution, especially in the nose. Nice work!

crecs @ 10/8/2019 09:59 commented on Day 03 - Teenagers

This is a really good animation, with good colors as well. But I don't believe that anyone would want to skateboard barefoot, surely! Guess I'm too old.

crecs @ 10/4/2019 11:46 commented on 48px marine on a stand

The preview and title suggest that the marine should be on a stand in the detail image? Anyway, I like the outlining on this sprite over pixeljoint.com/pixelart/129021.htm but I like the way you animated his boots previously more. I think it's a little weird that the right side of the legs fall before the left side. But good job with this one.

crecs @ 10/4/2019 10:07 commented on In a Dragon's Lair

The chest might could use some refinement, but that's a very cute dragon. The color count seems unnecessarily high, but I gotta say you made the gold really glitter with those colors. And I think the distant gold looks better than the gold drawn up-close, both are well done but especially the gold in the back.

crecs @ 10/4/2019 10:02 commented on The Mold

The colors from a distance look complex, because the piece looks so, I don't mean to overuse the cliche, gritty and realistic. But getting up close it's very limited in colors (10 of them) and uses mostly primaries plus purple and gray. I'm guessing here but good choice of saturation helped bring this piece its almost photo-like quality. Vry nice

crecs @ 10/4/2019 09:55 commented on Mutant worm

I think it looks very good and demonstrates good understanding of lights, shadows, and shapes. It might look a bit simple, but as a result is very readable even at 1x. I would love to see a larger piece with this mutant worm!

crecs @ 10/1/2019 09:49 commented on skullz avatarz

You used great colors and shading to really make this skull look worn and decrepit. And I love the gradient for the blue glow. Nice job.

crecs @ 10/1/2019 09:46 commented on slime squish [PD]

This actually looks like a very good finished project for a simple RPG. The preview almost sells it short. But the sprites and animation and little attentions to detail all while retaining a nice simple color palette are quite commendable.

crecs @ 9/29/2019 06:06 commented on wet hair

Yeah, I hate it when this happens to my hair.

crecs @ 9/28/2019 07:39 commented on Self-portrait for web-portfolio layout

This looks so good in such an unusual way. I think this is the best example I've found of cubism (or maybe this is another genre but I can't find a better name) in pixel art form, as it looks "intentionally messy" and conveys further meaning. In the rules of Pixeljoint submissions it says messy submissions are not accepted, but a piece that does the messiness "intentionally" would be fine. I think I finally found an example of such a piece.

I wonder if this piece was edited according to LiteraryPixels's remarks, because I like the lines the way they are. This kind of looks like a blind contour.