nvision @ 2/13/2015 10:12 commented on Plagued Rat Running

As gorgeous as a diseased, undead rodent can be...

nvision @ 2/2/2015 06:15 commented on You, My Queen, Are The Fairest Of All

Excellent dithering!  Some change in light and shadow on that jaw as it opens would push this to a fave :)

nvision @ 10/16/2014 07:22 commented on Big Bird

I think this debate is missing a key component...  When automation is employed in the process of creating "art," is it less acceptable if you're viewing the resulting image as art?  Is it more acceptable if the image was made for commercial means?  Personally, I believe that if you're trying to eke out a living then you should use whatever tools you have at your disposal to do so more effectively.  Using automation still requires skill, and with those who use it unskillfully the process is often readily apparent.  Besides, great artists like van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec, and even Rembrandt generally die poor and angry.

nvision @ 8/15/2014 08:18 commented on Samuses

DAT PREVIEW! :p

Great composition and I love the fact you kept NES style ground in there.

nvision @ 6/5/2014 07:56 commented on Solus

Poor, poor planet...the gravitational fields of those massive moons would make it horrible to live there.  At least it's pretty :p

nvision @ 5/27/2014 06:28 commented on Big Bird

Curse you, CELS!  You and your awesome Kharn image!  Now you've got me pixelling Belial, when I clearly have more than enough on my plate, as is.  I'm busting out enironmental concepts for a VC investor package at my regular job, I've got three full-page illustrations and three maps for an RPG due by Sunday, and now I have to pixel some 40K as well.  I've not even finished painting my physical model of Belial, yet.

Why did your pic have to be so cool...?

nvision @ 5/25/2014 07:26 commented on game mockup

Hahah, for Matthew & Kareem, I suppose?  I have a mockup that is quite similar :P  I like the textures you used in the ground and water tiles!

nvision @ 5/22/2014 06:20 commented on Betrayer

It's a relatively sedate pose for Kharn, but good stuff!  I especially like how the gold, steel, and ceramite all feel like different materials.

nvision @ 5/20/2014 08:02 commented on Big Bird

Intuos 9x12" tablet = Shoulder

Bamboo 5x7" tablet = Wrist

I must say, I miss drawing with my shoulder...probably time to suck it up and buy a new large format tablet.

nvision @ 4/24/2014 06:48 commented on Big Bird

I've used a tablet for close to a decade now.  When my big Intuos 3 broke, last year, I felt crippled relying on the mouse.  It's much slower and less intuitive for me.  I generally use two windows,a work one at 800%, a preview at 100% to increase accuracy and see the final result when I pixel. I have a second window at 25% if I'm doing illustration work (my work window varies in that instance).  I'm using a crappy 5x7" Bamboo until I can justify another full-sized tablet.

nvision @ 4/22/2014 13:04 commented on Breath of Fire 7

Your palette choices make the large areas of flat colour work to your advantage, and you get a nice sense of form.  Good use of more subtle contrast, as well!

nvision @ 4/22/2014 10:16 commented on Big Bird

The Jötnar make things horrible for us Canucks every winter...so much snow.  I'm 6'6" and my driveway snow banks were at eye-level this year.

nvision @ 4/21/2014 11:29 commented on Big Bird

Humanity really is nothing but a collection of great storytellers.  The fact that some stories persevere over millenia, even if evolved or mutated, speaks of the strength of the themes in those stories.  Our civilizations rise and fall, out buildings crumble, our technonolgy becomes ever more rapidly obsolete, but we keep telling, and living, stories.

Orthodoxy of any strain, especially based on texts laden with metaphor and tailored to vastly different socio-political climates, is another issue.  However, I think there is great value and knowledge to be gained from mining those stories that have stood the test of time.  I want to go pixel some cannabalistic Nephilim, now.

nvision @ 4/21/2014 08:02 commented on Big Bird

Yay!  Theological scholastics make my heart happy

It's a shame the Book of Enoch wasn't canonised into the Tanakh, as it's one of the coolest of the original Hebrew texts...

nvision @ 4/19/2014 06:53 commented on Big Bird

Have you tried Infrno at all?  I've run and played a few games over there and had a great time, including some playtesting for The Unspeakable Oath.  They've got a decent virtual table and built-in dice roller.  It's not quite the same expereince as the physical table, but when everyone in your regular group have jobs and kids to deal with it can help get in some extra playtime when schedules won't mesh.

I'm still getting used to playing D20 again, after being so immersed in BRP and percentile checks.  I have to switch to dice that were currently "cursed" because they consistently rolled high.  In CoC, a high roll means your terrible dread lich-lord is suddenly getting his cloak snagged on statuary in the mausoleum and stumbling over coffins.  That was an "interesting" climax to a scenario. :p

nvision @ 4/19/2014 05:00 commented on Big Bird

Zeratanus, what were you playing and what did you change to?  I run a Call of Cthulhu game, and we've been playing through Masks of Nyarlathotep, but I've been taking breaks to introduce different systems.  I won the Pathfinder Core books as part of a "best GM" award at a con last month and I'm hoping to give it a whirl soon.  I'm thinking of running the Corpse Crown modules for ease of transition, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

nvision @ 4/18/2014 06:23 commented on Tools of chaos

Combi-Melta + Chainsword = Win.  These are all nice and crisp and easily illustrate the range of weapons.  I'd love to see a grimier version, though, as these look like they're newly forged by the Mechanicum.

nvision @ 4/8/2014 20:36 commented on Tactical RPG Character Sprites

Incredibly impressive for the imposed restrictions!  You managed to still keep great character in each sprite :)

nvision @ 4/4/2014 11:37 commented on Big Bird

Just say no to mental illness!  Schizophrenia is only the beginning! :p

Now I'm off to draw a man filled with bugs...

nvision @ 4/4/2014 08:44 commented on Big Bird

Yeah, the nomenclature comes from the early days of alienists, and doesn't really reflect the disorder.  My brother is currently institutionalized with paranoid schizophrenia.  At the darkest part of his illness I could say he was a different person, but more because he was so terrified and cowed by the auditory and visual hallucinations he was experiencing, and how his brain chose to make sense of them.  Now, while still ill, he mainly gets more anxious than anything, and compulsively checks his pulse.  His art has gotten MUCH better, however...

nvision @ 3/19/2014 18:26 commented on A King's Love Is For His People

I love popping in at random and finding wonderful new work like this!  Great details and excellent colour choices.

nvision @ 3/5/2014 06:16 commented on Halo: Combat Devolved

Wonderfully lush with a nice, rich palette.  Good atmospheric perspective, too. :)

nvision @ 2/24/2014 06:58 commented on Work in Progress Icon

Just a warning to those participating or voting:  This mix of volatile vibrating hues could permanently destroy your vision!  Gah!  Good luck!

nvision @ 2/11/2014 08:25 commented on LB-RPG Enemies

Sorry, dude, but copyright on these is owned by Infospread, a Swedish developer.  I can't sub-licence them out, even for non-commercial projects.

nvision @ 1/16/2014 07:28 commented on Secret Santa to Argyle!

Both the pic and preview are excellent :)