yrizoud @ 4/15/2021 10:33 commented on Horsemobil

Funny, I don't know this reference but this looks like the opposite of the 1899 "horsey horseless" : a car concept that would look like a horse-drawn carriage, while actually rolling on four wheels.

yrizoud @ 3/25/2021 02:44 commented on Safari Zone - Forest

Usually I would find this color way too vibrant, but here it works perfectly.

And I really like your tile work for the ground, it's a lot of variety and wild/unkept, while still very readable as a walking area in a game.

yrizoud @ 3/9/2021 08:18 commented on Knight Rider

It's stunning, there is only the text on the 10 tiny buttons that looks a bit too sharp to me. The black on yellow/green has super high contrast, doesn't fit well with the soft lighting of the rest of the interior.

Also, did you purposefully omit the driver in the front view?

yrizoud @ 1/21/2021 09:33 commented on Basking Shark

Super-smooth shading for so few pixel, congrats

°O°

yrizoud @ 1/7/2021 04:38 commented on Experimentmas 2020

It's ridiculous how many different styles you can make yours. I'm glad you're showing something to aspire to :)

All these are fantastic, but I say I have a soft spot for the Frazetta-like bikini girl. There was a time when every medieval-fantasy universe would be inspired by Frazetta / Vallejo, but it seems very rarely used nowadays.

yrizoud @ 1/6/2021 06:01 commented on Skull

The famous square-head ancestor of mankind, Homo Sapiens Pixellis

yrizoud @ 12/17/2020 07:56 commented on The Break-Up

This really shows how, no matter the canvas size, well-thought composition and planning of the lighting will pay off in the end.

yrizoud @ 11/16/2020 08:37 commented on Alien

caption:  "Felt cute. Might delete later"

yrizoud @ 9/9/2020 03:02 commented on Holy Fucking Shit

Perfect title for this hilarous drawing

yrizoud @ 7/10/2020 11:14 commented on cat commission

It's lovely but the smaller version suffered from the size reduction.

yrizoud @ 5/5/2020 06:52 commented on Emptiness and healing

Pure black as a background is underrepresented nowadays, it used to be much more prevalent in Pixel art. This scene is a good example of how the black helps the scenery  and character pop out.

yrizoud @ 4/28/2020 06:33 commented on Supply Room resprite
You should really provide the reference so that people can see by themselves what you did and what you didn't.

Personnally I think you did your best to redefine every single tile/pixel, but at this resolution it's always borderline, and even if you DO force yourself to change everything, there will be some cases where you know your version is worse than the original, so what's the point  :-/
A partial change is a fine exercize though, it's just not what the PJ gallery is for.

And in any case, never forget to credit the original explicitely! Cave Story is not as universally recognizable as, let's say, a Zelda III or GBA Pokemon screen (and even then, people don't usually recognize sceneries)

(edit : For what it's worth, and considering you had the extra challenge of making everything different including this tiny robot, I think you did very well. I see no weak spot, everything fits together, and if someone was given both your image and the original graphic to compare, they probably wouldn't be able to tell which one was made by the original artist and which one by the fan)

yrizoud @ 2/7/2020 01:49 commented on Johto Memories

Your gallery must be shown to everyone who thinks "Less colors should be easier" and "After one grass tile is done, I've completed 20% of my work"

yrizoud @ 1/29/2020 10:38 commented on Chaos Code - Kagari

The closest ref that I can find is this : http://wiki.mizuumi.net/images/archive/7/7b/20130103053749%21KagariA.png

I like that you softened the design (less 'sharp' legs). I think it does make the character more human, and thus easier to read quickly. I don't know recent fighting games, but it seems you applied a drawing style that is closer to King of Fighters (at least the KOF games when characters where at this resolution / level of detail)

yrizoud @ 11/8/2019 06:49 commented on Taiga Forest

I miss games that let me play in such luxurious vegetation (without being cutesy)

yrizoud @ 11/6/2019 09:55 commented on too old...

You managed a good lighting that makes it immediately readable. Out of curiosity, did you try draw vanishing points and two-point perspective lines in the image itself to guide you ? From my experience, in low-resolution the 1-pixel lines is already quite "fat", and will make a big mess where they are close together. This is the kind of issue that makes me think I'd like a painting program that allows mixed-resolution layers (Real low resolution for the pixel-drawing area, high resolution / vector layer for construction lines, silhouettes, tracing images etc.)

yrizoud @ 10/24/2019 04:22 commented on Dragon Jungle Transition

This is fantastic work, so enjoyable to look at. I particularly appreciate the warm glow of the torch. The bottom part really gives a "Toki" feeling (the original game)

yrizoud @ 9/19/2019 04:05 commented on Stachka

This is lovely! I really like your choice of colors, it is proper for a game background, and still explores many different colors in the same scene.

yrizoud @ 8/30/2019 04:12 commented on Flying Vehicle 10

It's really cool how you applied the oldschool "several-pixel-wide antialising" for the bubble, it makes it instantly recognizable as a volume. However the spheric cockpit seems to mismatch the bottom half of the ship : I think the steel part should include an overall shading conveying how it's a half-sphere as well (even though some different shapes are protruding from it)

Also, I feel you missed an opportunity with the lasers, you could use much ligher colors and several-pixel-wide smoothing in order to convey that they are light sources.

yrizoud @ 7/11/2019 08:46 commented on Backgrounds for Vengeful Heart

The second one is really out of this world. Your choice of texturing/dithering is "just right" (always a challenge with few colors), and perfectly conveys surfaces that are mostly solid color, but dirtied by city life. You made subtle changes when an item is repeated, which reinforces the impression of watching a real place. The general scene instantly reminded me of the highly detailed landscapes from Appleseed. Even with photographic reference, I imagine that you have spent lots of time experimenting, in order to end up with a result where both the general view (what is dark, what is light,) and the details (pipes, valves, slits in AC units) fit together. I can assure you that this time was well spent, the result is there.

yrizoud @ 6/17/2019 07:16 commented on The great adventure of the Stone Age4

Very nice and expressive design, perfectly suited for a platform action game..Maybe she is a descendant of Bonk (aka PC Genjin-kun or PC Kid)

The form, animation and shading of the skull is pretty much perfect. However I didn't understand the white part in front as a (bone?) pendant at first. Maybe it would be clearer if it lifted and fell back during the backhand slash, and during the KO animation.

yrizoud @ 5/27/2019 01:45 commented on Halberd Portrait

It is very well designed, but I'm not sure about the use of dither patterns on "shiny steel" parts

yrizoud @ 5/20/2019 01:59 commented on Troll King

All these character designs are amazing!

yrizoud @ 5/20/2019 01:58 commented on Life And Death Of A Gnome

He got croaked :)

yrizoud @ 5/9/2019 06:42 commented on High in the Clouds

I think the girl clashes a little because everything ele (that we can see) is in blue, cold tone. I made some tests to apply a very light blue teint to her, or a light yellow teint to the sky, either work and make it look more like a common scene.