Revolver1 @ 8/22/2012 13:45 commented on Iron Town Steelworks Complex

Corny puns work for me :D I'll definitely be doing a revision of this one, probably closer to the end of production as I've got other sprites to do, and I'm also the programmer >_<; But I'll be sure to post it here (I did a similar revision for my 'Drifter' sprite, the feedback is really important to me!)

I don't want to bore anyone with too much text, but I may provide a link to a trailer when it's done. ;D And to provide context when it's important -_-;

Revolver1 @ 8/22/2012 13:41 commented on Drifter

Hahaha, you should check out the revised version - http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/72383.htm
It's less hilarious, but I think it looks better! :) Thanks to hahnt for pointing that out to begin with! XD

Revolver1 @ 8/22/2012 09:12 commented on Detective

This is great. If I had to point out one issue, it doesn't read like a detective to me; I rather thought it was a Castlevania style turn of the century ship captain, but it's badass either way.

Revolver1 @ 8/21/2012 21:34 commented on Mountains are Hard

love it, great sense of distance!

Revolver1 @ 8/21/2012 19:55 commented on Badge for Star Made - Starmade owner

Simple and reads easily - love it! What's Star Made?

Revolver1 @ 8/21/2012 10:07 commented on BfW Units

I don't know what Battle for Wesnoth is, but I really like these!

Revolver1 @ 8/21/2012 09:57 commented on Lydia Idle Animation

Just played the game, nice improvement on the original sprite :) of course, you do what you can with 48 hours XD

Revolver1 @ 8/21/2012 09:46 commented on Lydia Idle Animation

Really liking your sprite art!

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 20:18 commented on Iron Town Steelworks Complex

Thanks, I kept redoing the cracks originally and never really ended up with anything I was too happy with. At any rate, I feel more inclined to revisit them now.

Lamppost in the middle of the intersection does make little sense, so thank you for seeing the 'video game'ness of it all, haahaha. The truth is that it fits into the lore of this area, which I was wondering if I should explain or whether the context was needed at all. It's the same reason why there are stairs connecting the different street levels, but the idea is that these streets were reappropriated as walkways when the overly congested surface streets, cluttered by buildings and factories, navigable only by narrow alleyways, forced the residents of this district to find a way to facilitate foot traffic. (Above: More information than anybody cared for, hahaha)

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 20:09 commented on Iron Town Steelworks Complex

The limited colours are simply a style choice, there's no real reason why I restricted the number of colours I use except that I think using less colours over a large space is easier on the eyes and brings the entire tileset together (mind you this is my first tileset). There are going to be support beams, but not in my portion of the artwork as they are built into the crowded city underneath.

As for the lower levels, I could definitely revisit those with a different palette. I find however that making them too dark might force the lower level to stand out too much? Of course, I'm starting to think that I may be the only one who thinks so, hahaha - so I will take a crack at it anyway.

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 03:34 commented on Freelancer

Yeah, there is definitely a bounce, and it is intentional. It's meant to add a sense of lively motion to the otherwise still map scenes where these sprites are laid out (like chess pieces). Right now, I think it looks good in game (I'm hoping to provide a link to a trailer on this site soon), but if I get more comments about the bounce, I'll have to start re-evaluating whether or not it works! This is actually the first time anyone's pointed it out ;)

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 01:34 commented on Drifter Revised

Whoops, it's supposed to look ripped and flared! I'll have to take revisit that later if it's not giving off that impression.

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 01:00 commented on retro + 3d

it's hard to register with pixels but... i got it! XD i had to zoom in on the image though, hahaha.

Revolver1 @ 8/20/2012 00:54 commented on Reaper Thug

Hahaha, I'm glad you noticed - the similarity is intentional! :D

Revolver1 @ 8/19/2012 23:51 commented on Eye of Darkness

Really, 15 colours? ... This is the most impressive thing I've seen in a while, somehow it just really resonates with me.

Revolver1 @ 8/19/2012 23:45 commented on Freelancer

Thanks! I can never tell if the stuff I work on is any good, but the feedback goes a long way! ^_^;

Revolver1 @ 5/4/2012 00:33 commented on Drifter

thanks, hahnt! i totally see what you mean about the hinting, i'll have to try to fix that - it's totally bugging me now! >_<

the truth is that i was having some problems getting his fist to look exactly how i wanted. i guess this means that i can't ignore it anymore ^_^;

Revolver1 @ 5/4/2012 00:31 commented on Vendetta

yeah, his right arm is behind him as he's leaning backward, it's exactly what it looks like. it's true that the pose doesn't lend itself well to fighting, but his stance does change when he's in combat! for this non-combat idle animation, we just wanted to portray this unit class by giving him a unique stance :)

i'd show off the combat animations if i could to try and explain, but they're handled by a different artist.

Revolver1 @ 5/2/2012 19:36 commented on The Evolution of Grass

you might get a better response to a question like that on the forum. lot's of wip advice going around there :)

Revolver1 @ 5/2/2012 19:32 commented on Warrior guy

nicely done. can't find the hidden message though -_-; ... do you prefer the left or the right image? is there a reason you posted both of them?

Revolver1 @ 5/2/2012 19:29 commented on Idle guy.

great timing, i can see what you mean by that one frame making a difference

Revolver1 @ 5/2/2012 00:11 commented on Factory

I really like this! It would fit right into a strategy game. I can't wait to see what you do with your MMORTS :D

Revolver1 @ 5/1/2012 22:47 commented on Urban Buzz city street

i wouldn't mind seeing the other tiles that you were working on, even if they're just more storefronts. i can definitely see the paul robertson/scott pilgrim sprite art influence in this. are you working on character sprites too?

Nevermind, just noticed the character sprites in your gallery.

Revolver1 @ 5/1/2012 22:42 commented on Lyra run cycle

yeah, i understand - context and style are incredibly important! it already looks great, it probably looks even better in context.

Revolver1 @ 5/1/2012 18:17 commented on A Pawn on a Chess Board

i like how clearly this image reads at actual size, and the use of a small image to depict something small. i'm not an expert on dithering, but i think you did a decent job.