Claredeth @ 9/3/2016 22:23 commented on another Castlevania III remake

Wow, this is lovely.  Always enjoyed your work.  Only thing that sticks out at first glance is the grass/moss on the tiles; they seem overly bright.  A possible solution would be to lower saturation, use cooler colors, or use more of the darker shades.  A little trick I learned in a color theory class at university is to use a program to convert the image to black/white or to simply squint your eyes.   In the image below you can see that the grass/moss is a much brighter tone than the block.  If we're using a logical lightsource, the grass would be a somewhat similar shade as the block (not 100% the same of course) since it's facing away from the sunset.

Hope that helps:

Claredeth @ 8/30/2016 10:01 commented on church

WARNING: I'm just rambling and responding to Cyan's comments.  I've been out of the game for a bit so take my opinion for what you will.  Jump to the last paragraph for commentary on this piece.

While I agree that this could've been done much faster in another traditional digital art program, I am incredibly impressed with the overal aesthetic this piece has because it was made using a program that gives the user more control/responsibility with how the final product turns out.

To me, the debate of pixel art vs. digital feels a lot like comparing painting to photographs.  Maybe this is an obvious point but there's definitely an element missing in digital art that exists in pixel art.  When I play a game that uses a digital painting for the background rather than a hand-crafted pixelated one, I feel like there's a severe style clash (assuming the sprites in the game aren't digital themselves).  For me, taking actuals weeks in time to create a perfect, pixelated background would be way more rewarding since I prefer the appearance of a background produced in this manner.

I'm an incredibly impressed with the quality of this piece, given skittle's age.  To discourage such a young pixel artist from creating larger pieces like this would be a great mistake.  I'm incredibly selfish since this was my main medium of art growing up but I would encourage any young artists to pick up and obsess over pixel art, since it taught me so much about line and color.  Maybe recommending to continue making pieces like these in programs like MSPaint is bad advice, but I am of the opinion that digital art will never replace pixel art, it's accomplishes a completely different thing.

All being said, this piece has a very nice overall appearance.  The color pallete fits the tone of the piece and it gives the impression of being night.  Addtionally, I definitely get the impression of depth by your use of color and general perspective.  I think that the architecture would benefit from having more sharper edges; too many of the corners feel too rounded.   The bat may have also benefited from some AA or better lineart.  This is definitely more promising than the work I was making at your age.  Keep trying to work bigger, you seem to really have a knack for making backgrounds.  Being young means you have a lot of potential to get really damn good at this.

Claredeth @ 5/31/2015 18:49 commented on Minotaur

Always kinda admired this piece.  It's a shame you didn't put the figure in a space though.

Claredeth @ 1/30/2015 11:29 commented on Self Portrait

Is that a new rule?

Claredeth @ 1/30/2015 11:24 commented on Great Oak Hollow

I really like these world select icons.  The style is simple but they are really clean and colorful! My only major complaint would be that you have a bit of banding.  You could resolve this by reducing the color count and by differentiating your shading (that is not mimicking the next shade pixel for pixel).  I'm eager to see more.

Claredeth @ 1/30/2015 11:16 commented on for the children

You, sir, are a god among men.

Claredeth @ 1/30/2015 10:44 commented on As you can see, there's not much left around here.

I like what you have here.  I think you should try to incorporate this style into a large scene.  You're definitely on the right track!

Claredeth @ 1/30/2015 10:42 commented on Dr. Wily Hotel

I love this so much!  You have a real knack for working within strict color limitations.

Claredeth @ 1/4/2015 00:35 commented on 1

Excellent piece.  You have a great command of color.  While I like the style, I feel like the geometric shapes could have been more logically placed inside of the portrait (i.e. using the shapes to make the portrait feel like it's being distorted by the medium of the globe).  Please do more like this, I feel like there's more to explore here.

Claredeth @ 8/5/2014 11:56 commented on Chasing Butterflies

I think this is really well done.  The dithering gives the background a more realistic feel which helps to separate the characters from the background.  Only big issue I have with this piece are the butterflies.  They seem a bit muddy and and thick, less AA and thinner outlines might make them seem more dainty than they currently are.  Might just be my screen though, just nitpicking.

Claredeth @ 5/22/2014 00:33 commented on Night Shop

Very impressive.  The lightning is superb!

Claredeth @ 3/30/2014 13:11 commented on Redhead walk

It's actually a pretty smooth walk cycle, with a couple extra frames it'd look a bit smoother.  I'm not sure if the minimalistic style is for ease of animation or if it was a concious choice.  Regardless, it reminds me of "Out of This World", which is a huge plus in my book.

Claredeth @ 3/29/2014 10:04 commented on Ferinbless icon

Reminds me of Maple Story in some ways, really like the colors on her.

Claredeth @ 10/25/2013 09:05 commented on Please don't stomp me

These all have so much character!  Would love to play a game in this style.

Claredeth @ 10/25/2013 07:11 commented on Pixelart Landscape 3

Compared to your other landscapes, you've come so far.  I also think that the original, more saturated colors made the piece so much more intense.  My minor nitpick is that the two larger trees look too same-ish.  Since the composition is, overall, realistic in style, the repetition of textures in the tree's firs takes away from the illusion.  That being said, the colors and contrast of the foreground from the background really adds a sense of depth in this landscape.

Claredeth @ 2/10/2013 12:46 commented on I'm Gonna Wreck it!

I also loved the movie. This really kept a lot of the charm from it, nice job Frar.

Claredeth @ 12/27/2012 14:20 commented on Secret Santa 2012

If this was finished I'd call it your best piece yet.  You really should get around to refining it at a later point.  Good job Jimmy.

Claredeth @ 10/10/2012 06:48 commented on Binding of Isaac

Didn't expect this based on the preview.  I love TBoI as well.  I feeling of nostalgia floods me while looking at this mock-up,  I would love for this demake to be made into an entire game.

Claredeth @ 10/1/2012 13:11 commented on Walking by the mountain.

You're certainly one of the most ambitious pixel artists here.  The scenery in this piece is absolutely gorgeous but the character is pathetic.  I really wish the bird man wasn't in this piece, it would be so much stronger.

Claredeth @ 9/14/2012 10:32 commented on Stuff - 2012

So nice to have you back.   I love the barbarian sprite the most.

Claredeth @ 9/14/2012 07:09 commented on Weekly Challenge Submission - Angel

I take it you're quite familar with art.  I hope to see some more pixel art from you soon!

Claredeth @ 9/9/2012 12:16 commented on Interchangable Avatar

Like the new avvy!

Claredeth @ 6/18/2012 07:17 commented on Oldworm

I love your color choice, however, I feel the background is really lacking in this piece.  I get that it's some form of a drug-induced trip but wish there was more to it.

Claredeth @ 6/9/2012 09:37 commented on Iron man

You should really submit more, it has been a while.

Claredeth @ 6/3/2012 22:20 commented on Bridget