ptoing @ 1/19/2018 06:29 commented on Dying Breed

Lovely :)

ptoing @ 1/17/2018 12:25 commented on Big Bird

I think that scale is a bit weird, the steps like dithering, clusters, aa, etc seem somewhat arbitrary.

It's not like those are like an analogue scale you could move along and then suddenly dithering becomes solid clusters or something. But I think I get what he is getting and and would agree with the broad and narrow definition of pixelart spectrums, more or less.

ptoing @ 1/17/2018 12:10 commented on Big Bird

Where is that scale? Can you link?

Without having seen the scale, I would say that "pixelart" is a pretty spongy and ill defined term, and there is no real point in trying to define it. For me what matters a lot is the intent and attention to pixel level detail. But that alone would not make pixelart in all cases.

Look at textures from Final Fantasy 12 for example, amazing work, a lot of pixel level detail, but made for a system that filters textures, etc.

I personally am not really interested in defining stuff as this or that, I am interested in doing low resolution art, and I happen to enjoy restrictions (which could be seen as more "pure"), but I also like a lot of modern stuff where the "rules" are bent or broken.

There are a few things that I don't like in most cases, like mixed and off grid resolutions. Mixed alone can work though if done right, see Sword and Sworcery.

It's very unlikely that I will contribute to this topic on the forum, since I am not really interested in the semantics of the term pixelart. What interests me a lot more is the history and how we got where we are now. A point in time when "pixelart" in whatever shape it may take is becoming an accepted, valid style choice instead of a necessity.

ptoing @ 1/17/2018 11:11 commented on Big Bird

One thing: Oekaki for is not a style, it is a bunch of online apps for making pictures and usually posting them in a bbs style fashion (and it also just means "draw a picture", there is no notion of "scribbling" inherent in the word). There are all kinds of different styles of art people do in those, from scribbles  (which most people here seem to associate it with), to really clean stuff (think similar to alcopopstar, but with more colours), to photorealistic stuff.

ptoing @ 1/17/2018 02:39 commented on Faces in palettes 2

Outstanding. Really great stuff.

ptoing @ 1/17/2018 02:35 commented on Egypt (Atari 2600)

This is really great stuff, very well done.

The alternating line technique you used reminds me of the stuff Twilighte used to do on the Oric.

ptoing @ 11/26/2017 04:35 commented on The Belly of the Machine

Nice, would be a cool look for a game for sure. If you want to make it NES style you should also keep in mind that the palettes are applied in 2x2 tile blocks. So each 16x16 pixel square is only 1 palette.

ptoing @ 11/25/2017 09:43 commented on The Belly of the Machine

This looks rather nice, and actually almost works on NES.

I took the liberty to make a NES rom from one of the frames. Had to adjust some stuff, but not too much. You can download the rom here

ptoing @ 11/23/2017 16:24 commented on Borealopelta

Super lovely.

ptoing @ 11/5/2017 12:33 commented on 'protege moi' - Gameboy pixels

Looks great. Why is it only 128 high? I guess because of some coding stuff or scroller maybe?

ptoing @ 11/2/2017 03:57 commented on The Eye of Shlarm

Thanks everyone :)

schrumpfkopf: Schön dass es dich auch noch gibt :D

ptoing @ 10/17/2017 09:39 commented on Duck and Chicken

It looks like you made it in 15 minutes at a party place or something :D

I do like how derpy the duck looks, though.

ptoing @ 10/16/2017 10:12 commented on Technovikings

I like how it almost looks like char mode. Very nice designs.

ptoing @ 10/15/2017 10:40 commented on Big Bird

There is overlap when it comes to who is doing it. But I would not say that they are very related. But you could also see Ascii or Characterset art (ANSI, Petscii or any other set) as a kind of pixelart using a limited tileset, a whole bunch of which happen to be letters and numbers.

ptoing @ 10/14/2017 15:31 commented on The Gather (inspired by Frankie's WeekendRPG)

Yeah, this is a good fix. Tangent issues are hard to fix in finalised pieces. You really have to keep them in mind when laying out a design/composition and try to avoid them.

ptoing @ 10/14/2017 13:21 commented on The Gather (inspired by Frankie's WeekendRPG)

This is really nice. Great design.

You got some stray white pixels at the hand above the sphere.
Also that single transparent pixel left of the chin is kinda odd, as well as those 2 "hanging" pixels near the wrist of the hand holding the sphere. There are also some tangets that flatten the image a bit, like the way the hand in the top right touches the other arm, and the way the elbow in the bottom right seems to almost perfectly puzzle piece connect into that other hands outline.

These are really just nitpicks though, because this is really ace and I love it.

ptoing @ 10/14/2017 06:01 commented on The Eye of Shlarm

Thanks everyone :)

Goodlyay: I use Cosmigo Promotion, which has functionality for various aspect ratios, like 2:1, 1:2, etc.
Grafx2 can do this as well, and Photoshop for example can do non integer aspects as well, which can be helpful for certain things.

ptoing @ 10/11/2017 14:39 commented on Post Singularity

Thanks :)

Jok: Yeah, the borderstuff worked out nicely here.

ptoing @ 10/11/2017 14:38 commented on The Eye of Shlarm

Thanks y'all.

Jok: Would be nice if you could make it to Zoo next time. I will try as well. Still time. X first :D

ptoing @ 10/10/2017 16:04 commented on Nootka Sound is not for sale

This looked really good on the big screen. Great job.

I would always add borders to C64 pictures, when uploading anywhere, really. It gives a much better impression of how it looks on the real thing.

ptoing @ 10/2/2017 04:30 commented on Big Bird

No voting for the beard challenge? New countdown but no new challenge info. What's up?

ptoing @ 9/30/2017 08:56 commented on c64 portraits

I quite like these. Also funny enough, the peasant girl can be converted to an executable (using FLI format and changing bg colour on some lines), whereas the Knight can't from what I gathered. Maybe with extra sprites on top, but that would require custom coding.

I would love to see some proper C64 MCAL format stuff from you :)

ptoing @ 9/26/2017 12:11 commented on Priestly Gentleman

Well, the VIC 20 has a very low resolution, so the hires pixels are almost as wide as the wide pixels on C64, the wide pixels are even wider. 4x makes sense that way, but on a real monitor they are closer to 3x1, but not cleanly or anything.

As far as needing more planning goes, I don't think so. What is important is to choose 3 good fixed colours, and then you can add the extra colours from 0-7 where needed.

Here is a really nice picture by Mermaid that shows really clever usage of the limitations.

demozoo.org/graphics/173648/

The fixed colours are black for the border (which is also used in the image, and light red and brown for background and aux (dunno which is which, does not matter either way). The light red and brown can not be used as free colours, because they are indexes 8 and A, so they are good choices for fixed colours, since they cover a good brightness range, as well as working as skintones.

ptoing @ 9/23/2017 05:22 commented on Shadow of the Colossus

If you wanna make a crop that fits into 320x200 and have me make a c64 executable and maybe put it up on CSDb, let me know :)

ptoing @ 9/22/2017 12:10 commented on Priestly Gentleman

Just looked at this again and saw your question which no one answered.

The restrictions are not too complicated, but a bit tricky to get used to.

You got a fixed palette, 16 colours to choose from (you can't use all at the same time).

Find the palette here (click on VIC at the top) http://www.colodore.com/

There are no real built in gfx modes for the vic20 apart from the char modes, but Aleksi Eeben has come up with an implementation which is very nice, and is the one Lackey used.

You get 22x11 4x16 pixel blocks (88x176 pixels). Each block can have up to 4 colours, 3 of these colours are fixed across the whole picture. The pixel ratio is closer to 3x1 than 4x1, but really somewhere inbetween.

One colour is the background colour, it can be any of the 16 colours.
One is the border colour, this can be any of the first 8 colours (as the name suggestes it also dictates the colour of the border around the image)
Then there is the auxiliary colour, which also can be any of the 16 colours.
And last but not least there is the char colour, which is unique per 4x16 pixel block, and can only be any of the first 8 colours.

The colours are in the right order on the colodore site, but just to be clear, first 8 are black, white, and then then dark versions of RCMGBY (in that order).

Hope this helps. Would love to see you (or anyone, really) do something in this mode.