Message Icon Topic: The Joint - Iso Apartments Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote pixelblink Replybullet Topic: The Joint - Iso Apartments
    Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:31am

TakeOut, SedgeMonkey, and yours truly have been discussing putting together our own IsoCity/PixelDam/Mr. Wong's Soup Apartments. Of course, all that stuff has been done before but I propose a new way to do it... from the inside view.

I call it "The Joint"

proposed signage:
proposed link button:

Somebody had said we should have a larger size of room than the one below but, to ensure the apartments link properly and easily together, I decided that this should suffice for now. Later on, we could have luxury suites for those that want one. Start small as I always say.

Latest template:

Later on, as the project grows, we could have various types of rooms such as

- One bedrooms
- Two bedrooms
- Luxury Suites
- Rec areas (Community swimming pool, billiards, darts, etc. Community apartment bar??)

A seperate space with a link from the main site will be created : www.pixeljoint.com/thejoint 

All in all, this looks like it's a go just wanna hear from you guys about what you think and who's on board with us as well as ideas and suggestions to make this successful.

When the site space is up and runnning, there will be a download section to download the template in .psd and .psp formats. For now, I am assuming everyone's cool with my current template sooooo... start cracking kids!

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:49am
im starting a design on it :)
IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 2:13am
I reckon just have room templates and character templates and let us go wild. I do agree with the quality control thing though, in real life tenants who mess up a building get kicked out
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 7:35pm
this'll be fun 
"At least we killed some boredom..." - Death Note.
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 8:13pm
Cool. So how are we going to organize this again the rooms and all... Like will they bet set up like a huge towering mansion, just a plain one room wide tall tower, or like many apartment's/houses with bathrooms and everything mixed together I guess sorta' creating a neighbor hood in a way. 
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 8:51pm

Kinda like a neighbourhood.. Think PixelDam and IsoCity but as inside views apartments with hallways connecting them. These will be bachelor suites obviously... maybe even think of them as hostel rooms.. .with a bathroom here and there for communal washing etc. As I said, other styles of suites will come later.

I would also like to try and get a wall to surround them... more work on that later.

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 9:51pm

Great work so far pixelblink.  Your banner is freaking sweeet. The only thing that seems off is the way the rooms are not connected in any way.  It's kind of like a bunch of interiors of mini houses right now.  It's not that big a deal, but it'd be nice to see the rooms connect in some way.

I have jury duty and I'm still behind from my vacation so I'm going to be busy playing catch up at work the next couple of days. It might be a few days before I get a chance to post again. Keep going strong fellas.  I love this project!!!

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:13pm
If you want, I can write a script for connecting all of the users' rooms in Javascript and ASP.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 06 April 2005 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by sedgemonkey

Great work so far pixelblink.  Your banner is freaking sweeet. The only thing that seems off is the way the rooms are not connected in any way.  It's kind of like a bunch of interiors of mini houses right now.  It's not that big a deal, but it'd be nice to see the rooms connect in some way.

I have jury duty and I'm still behind from my vacation so I'm going to be busy playing catch up at work the next couple of days. It might be a few days before I get a chance to post again. Keep going strong fellas.  I love this project!!!

Everything is connected from the hallways dude (the tiled areas that look like corriders). There are doors you can attach to your walls wherever you feel like as well.

IP IP Logged
zi-double
Commander
Commander

Quote zi-double Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2005 at 9:06am

I'm glad to see this post :)

from 1 or 2 years I want to see site as pixeldam or kennetfejer or ourcall with smaller rooms ...

some think for your very nice idea pixelblink :

maybe must have limits of colours, and some other limits, thin wall aren't good, more motions as second floor or balcony, quality of works need be good, links between projects, split of projects-because when you use only one limit for space than all rooms are in same type or near to same and many other :)

I think must have limit but have between one small space and one big space /inside and outside space for room/ and everybody can choose in what form will be his room ... and only then maybe can you have good conection between room in some tipe as tunnels, bridges or I don't know ...

I hope to have progress in this idea :)

=============================

:) GDGB :)

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 07 April 2005 at 10:49am
i agree the thin walls look ugly :( sorry.. maybe thicken them :)
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Sibix

i agree the thin walls look ugly :( sorry.. maybe thicken them :)

I think they look fine...
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 3:59pm

Hmmm... I like the wall style zi- uses in his stuff. It's just a tad bit thicker.  More weighty.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=427

Also, it would be nice to have some variety of room sizes and the way the rooms connect is still an issue.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 8:44pm

Hmmm... I like the wall style zi- uses in his stuff. It's just a tad bit thicker.  More weighty.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=427

Also, it would be nice to have some variety of room sizes and the way the rooms connect is still an issue.

There's an image above that shows how they connect dude. As for walls and variety of sizes, I'd appreciate some examples from others. .. How about this one though? ....

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 10:23pm

Each floor would have this floor plan with an elevator in the foyer... if someone would like to make an elevator for this, that'd be wicked awesome! Maybe just a room itself that has the outside view of an elevator, mailboxes (on the main floor), etc?

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

Quote Demon Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 10:29pm
here's my rendition of the room template 

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 10:41pm

i like those floors dude. I got some wicked floor tiles that I'm saving for when I make my apartment.

As you can see in the new version of the template I did, the walls are indeed now thicker. I also made the walls kind of wrap around the corner to see where the invisible wall would be.. also, I made new thicker doors that would be where those walls are too.

As for on the inside, everything is customizable... paint your walls, put new carpet/flooring in, put the doors wherever you want to put em.

I think, also, that if you want a larger space to work with, you can always reserve a few aparments and work out the space measurements... as long as it fits in properly I don't really mind. I'm also working on an exterior view of the hostel/building which will be a guide of tenants for each floor.

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:03pm

Those thick walls with the slight wrap are sweeet. It really helps give the rooms some depth. Beauty work.

What I was getting at with the connection rooms part is that they all look like mini-houses.  The rooms don't connect to each other at all with walls. It's not a problem, but I thought I would point it out.

Since the rooms are kind of like independent bungalows anyway you could allow the rooms to expand out a bit in each direction -- as long as the shape is maintained. Kind of like reserving some extra space like you mentioned pixelblink.

I'll try and write the code for the site this week now that you have a couple of example pieces.  Once you approve of the site we can work out how we are going to approve of submissions. I thought they could just submit their pieces through pixeljoint and the ones that meet the quality standards will be added to the site.  That way we can display the room pieces in different ways and we have all their information in a db so the project can sorta maintain itself once we get it going.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:06pm

that sounds good dude. Also, the reason the rooms aren't connected to each other by walls is the fact that they'd overlap and we'd lose some space to show what's inside the rooms. Unless, you have an idea to fix that.. gimme a visual if you do.

I'm gonna try and give you a visual of the site layout I'd want as well... I'll try n do it tonight quickly

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:23pm
sh*t, I don't know.  I really can't think of a way to connect em without obstructing part of the piece either.  Don't sweat it.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 12:00am

you could always do join demons idea with it..
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 12:04am
When the site gets up and running, we'll make a section for downloads that'll have premade floors and walls if people want. Besides, everything inside the apartment is customizable.. that's the whole point
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 12:11am
Originally posted by zi-double

I'm glad to see this post :)

from 1 or 2 years I want to see site as pixeldam or kennetfejer or ourcall with smaller rooms ...

some think for your very nice idea pixelblink :

maybe must have limits of colours, and some other limits, thin wall aren't good, more motions as second floor or balcony, quality of works need be good, links between projects, split of projects-because when you use only one limit for space than all rooms are in same type or near to same and many other :)

I think must have limit but have between one small space and one big space /inside and outside space for room/ and everybody can choose in what form will be his room ... and only then maybe can you have good conection between room in some tipe as tunnels, bridges or I don't know ...

I hope to have progress in this idea :)

=============================

Sorry dude, totally passed this post without seeing it for some reason.

As you can see, I made the walls thicker. Also, larger rooms can be available for those with the skills to do them properly. Limited colours? Naw... I hate that rule myself. Why should I count my colours and limit my creative skills? If it's not like 1000 colours and it is true pixelart, it's cool with me.

As for your other suggestions, I'd love to see them presented visually so I can understand your vision.

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 1:41am
so... can we start anytime soon? i'd rather have a bunch of different room sizes on one floor to make it more interesting. Then just have some sort of control on what gets added and what doesn't.
IP IP Logged
zi-double
Commander
Commander

Quote zi-double Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 5:35am

Originally posted by pixelblink

"As you can see, I made the walls thicker. Also, larger rooms can be available for those with the skills to do them properly"

I think don't need larger room ... need only space as example: "you must use space between "this" and "this" and than everybody can choose his version with different version of outlines ... else if I want to make circle room or rhomb what ?   ... then sprout question how or what connection between rooms is need ...

I promise to think about this ... else for me I take decision to make it in flash and have outlines of all rooms and when you put the mouse on them then room will be "loading" in this case don't need everybody to load all rooms ... I think if you see pixelmoon than you must stay and wait much time to see all projects ... and this isn't good ...

it isn't important to start soon ... important is to start with deliberation !!!

=========================

IP IP Logged
zi-double
Commander
Commander

Quote zi-double Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 6:12am

one think only: now the doors are very low ...

hm and another why need door in front ... can put only outlines from below ... thereby we have much free space for graphic art ...

hm OK ... I newer show this work somewhere /except of sedgemonkey/ but because my english is awful so maybe you can understand me best if I show my full WIP ...

http://img143.exs.cx/img143/1281/apartmentzi344cg.gif

===================

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 9:31am
Originally posted by zi-double

one think only: now the doors are very low ...

hm and another why need door in front ... can put only outlines from below ... thereby we have much free space for graphic art ...

hm OK ... I newer show this work somewhere /except of sedgemonkey/ but because my english is awful so maybe you can understand me best if I show my full WIP ...

http://img143.exs.cx/img143/1281/apartmentzi344cg.gif

===================

The doors aren't low... you just have the guy standing on top or the door... if the door was ope he'd be underneath the frame and it'd look normal.

There are doors in front only if people choose to have them that way. I'm not gonna set that restriction.. it's up to them. Personally, I won't use them.

Your aparment is great! I wish we could put them together so they connect and you could still see all the detail but, it doesn't work like that unless it is made so you can put the mouse over a room to show it. I don't know what else to say about this... I'm just waking up

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 9:32am

Originally posted by Akira

so... can we start anytime soon? i'd rather have a bunch of different room sizes on one floor to make it more interesting. Then just have some sort of control on what gets added and what doesn't.

Get cracking dude... just be aware that there may be some small adjustments made before we open it up officially

IP IP Logged
Garage Inc.
Commander
Commander

Quote Garage Inc. Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 10:11am
pixel, you are doing an awsome job with this. As soon as everything is finallized, I will make mine. You are doing a great job so far.
For every second spent wondering if you can do something, you could spend 2 seconds doing it.
IP IP Logged
Brian the Great
Commander
Commander
RED!

Quote Brian the Great Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 10:19am
I definatly am going to make a room, but why are there four doors? The largest amount of doors I've ever seen in that kind of room would be two. Another question I have is why dont the rooms connect? I know that would 'hide' some of the neighbour's room, but it looks a bit architectiral off. Anyhoo, if you don't care about that, I guess that's fine. I'm still going to make a room. But not now.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 11:30am
there are four doors because you can choose which entrance you want to use.. if you want one in the back left.. use that one only and delete the others out of your picture. Also, there is no way to connect the rooms properly without losing some of the viewing area... that being said, put up or shut up... lol :) Unless you have another great idea
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 11:33am

Originally posted by Garage Inc.

pixel, you are doing an awsome job with this. As soon as everything is finallized, I will make mine. You are doing a great job so far.

Thanx dude.. but, call me Blink if anything... lol

Nice to hear someone actually appreciates what I'm trying to get going here :) I appreciate your recognition and I can't wait till everything is up and running so we can post your bad boy.. I know it's gonna rock

IP IP Logged
Brian the Great
Commander
Commander
RED!

Quote Brian the Great Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 11:33am
Aha, I'll shut up.
IP IP Logged
Garage Inc.
Commander
Commander

Quote Garage Inc. Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 2:44pm

Blink, your right, pixel might be a little confusing on a pixel forum, haha.

I check this topic everytime I get on pixeljoint to see if anything is new or changed.

Brian, haha. Good choice.

For every second spent wondering if you can do something, you could spend 2 seconds doing it.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Garage Inc.

Blink, your right, pixel might be a little confusing on a pixel forum, haha.

I check this topic everytime I get on pixeljoint to see if anything is new or changed.

Brian, haha. Good choice.

You can call me by my real name if you want as well.. Steve (or even Steve-O)

I'm glad this has gotten such a large following.. though I'd like to see some more input from everyone

IP IP Logged
Garage Inc.
Commander
Commander

Quote Garage Inc. Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2005 at 8:07pm
well, I think what you have right now is pretty solid. I think you can make this the final product. No we just need the lobby, outside, elevator, things like that.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 1:51am

Your aparment is great! I wish we could put them together so they connect and you could still see all the detail but, it doesn't work like that unless it is made so you can put the mouse over a room to show it. I don't know what else to say about this... I'm just waking up

We could do an overview similar to zi's where when you mouseover or click it loads a detail view of the room on the side. 

Or we could do it so the rooms actually do overlap and your view is partially obstructed, but when you click on the room it brings the room to the front so you can see it clearly. That way you can do interesting floorplans and different sized rooms and not have to worry about other pieces obstructing the view.

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 2:13am
Now thats a snazzy idea. I agree with zi on the door thing, they are a bit too short (maybe two pixels?). I'll probably get started on my room later on this week
IP IP Logged
zi-double
Commander
Commander

Quote zi-double Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 8:13am

yestarday I think about this idea for ISO rooms

and this is just another vision of me

now here you can pick space as much as you want /we can limit this space that much of .../ but this is only in one direction ... in other direction you must use area with or without space. With "room area" is at least space, but with "balcony area" is large. In this case you can make appartment with some rooms as toilet or 2 space as fitness hall or magazine or ...

more explanation: in area "without floor" can build all in air as vegetation, antenna or birds or ladders ... :)

for end so then we have many rooms or apartments with different style and always can put together in one floor ...

we can make many floors and every week have suggestion for favourite floor :)

PS

If you wait then soon I show about my idea to put in Flash ... then you need only one main movie with outlines and buttons big as areas  ... all room will be put in private movies and loading when anybody want :)

====================

IP IP Logged
saint_lobak
Seaman
Seaman

Quote saint_lobak Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 10:46am
I have an almost complete flash isometric scrolling engine in hand.

check out the thread i posted earlier

link

if any of you are interested in using the engine, do contact me
IP IP Logged
TakeOut
Commander
Commander

Quote TakeOut Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 12:07pm

We could do an overview similar to zi's where when you mouseover or click it loads a detail view of the room on the side. 

Or we could do it so the rooms actually do overlap and your view is partially obstructed, but when you click on the room it brings the room to the front so you can see it clearly. That way you can do interesting floorplans and different sized rooms and not have to worry about other pieces obstructing the view.

Well, here's how I was planning on doing it. Just lowering the back left and right walls so you can se the other rooms. That works, and when you click on them alone you can single them out maybe get info from the creator of the room and the walls will be restored to full height...
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 1:07pm
Many good ideas out there right now.. I like Zi's alot too.. but, I will leave it up to the masses and, in the end, Sedgemonkey to decide what will be used. Would be nice to have this finalized soon though
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 1:18pm
i would like to build in the corridors.. like have some drunken hobos or a wrist watch fight going on.. i like the idea of a balcony :)
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Commander
Commander

Quote pixelblink Replybullet Posted: 10 April 2005 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by Sibix

i would like to build in the corridors.. like have some drunken hobos or a wrist watch fight going on.. i like the idea of a balcony :)

haha.. that sounds great. IF we use the corriders you're going to have to make that up

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

Quote Akira Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 1:53am
Why not have the floor plan with corridors and junk so people can pixel that as well as the rooms? Still like sedges best though.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 8:08am

I like zi's template and example, but I'm a little confused by the two "area without floor" spots.  Is that where the edge of the building goes? That would be pretty neat to leave space for a spiffy building exterior, but that should probably require some sort of unification.  Maybe I just need to see an example of what goes in that area.

We will have to build an overhead grid where people reserve spots like pixelblink suggested (i think it was pixelblink) so the balcony spots are not overdone -- everyone can't have a balcony!

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 12:02pm
i enjoyed making  this so much and will also be making more (luxory suit maybe )

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

Quote sedgemonkey Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 2:03pm

Sweeeet work Sibix.   I was thinking about doing a game room too. I love the monitor on the wall.

What game is that?  It looks a lot like pool, but the lines are funky.

IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Blueberry_pie Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 11:22pm
Yup, good job Sibix! Looks great.
I'll probably make a video game room later today...
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

Quote Sibix Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2005 at 11:31pm
lol its supposed to be pool how do the lines go ?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version