Print Page | Close Window

[Feedback] Character Designs for Indie Game

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: WIP (Work In Progress)
Forum Discription: Get crits and comments on your pixel WIPs and other art too!
URL: https://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27279
Printed Date: 18 August 2022 at 8:00am

Topic: [Feedback] Character Designs for Indie Game
Posted By: Tuna Unleashed
Subject: [Feedback] Character Designs for Indie Game
Date Posted: 15 December 2021 at 9:12am
Hey, I'm here with a brand new indie studio developing an original IP 2D Pixelart fighter. We're looking to just put out a survey on some of our character designs and get some comments as well.

So, separate from your thoughts about the art style, quality or roughness of the drawing, tell me below which character design do you personally prefer, and leave just a few comments about why you think that is or just any stray thoughts you might have on the designs.

Thanks!
Mr. G

Replies:
Posted By: Toffi
Date Posted: 08 March 2022 at 10:12am
Personally I like the low res version of the character. It feels a lot more authentic to the arcade games of old. (ala street fighter, darkstalkers, and king of fighters) A great plus of working at low resolutions is having a bit more wiggle room to improve animations on the fly, add new characters and fix mistakes without too much hassle.

Posted By: 2blackbar
Date Posted: 10 May 2022 at 2:51pm
I dont know but if you want feedback, these are too damn casual to be main chars, maybe as background npcs, maybe... but these designs look like people you see outside the window on regular day, nothing that would make people want to play as them IMO.
Id scrap both and make them more interesting with some elements on them that is quite specific and tells something about them cause this is just so generic it hurts.

Posted By: Limes
Date Posted: 12 July 2022 at 6:42pm
I feel that the character on the right is lacking in respect to the defined and sharp character on the left.

When I see the character on the left I can get a clear picture of his behavior, its a very good character design because it shows you more then it needs to tell you.

Whereas the character on the right I can't say the same, I believe the right character needs much work and the left character is extremely well done.

-------------
I use GraphicsGale

Posted By: Greycloak
Date Posted: 21 July 2022 at 7:28pm
I'm of the same mind as 2blackbar. The designs are too generic to be interesting. I do prefer the character on the right though, just on the basis of facial structure and hair.

But I think they both need a bit more imagination to make them into interesting characters; some more fashionable (or at least less generic) clothing could go a long ways. Right now they kind of just look like self-inserts.

I might say that normal clothing is fine if they are supposed to be normal people, but the giant spirit animals suggest otherwise. I figure if they're going to be fantastical, you might as well go all out.

Print Page | Close Window