Moving Pixels - a lot, fast and deadly

icon
HeliAttack has just been launched... Some images were posted before but now it's time to play.

Heli Attack 3

Posted by DayDream @ 6/17/2005 03:49  |    16

Discussion

Luke_is_Gawd (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/5/2005 11:09
 Awsome!

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 6/29/2005 05:29
I agree with sedge.  I love this game!  But, unfortunately, the mouse thing does happen, but it works if I just try to stay in the movie.  I only made it to the desert level before I died.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/22/2005 08:28

Yeah, I think it's a little unfair to compare this to games outside of this genre.  As a "Contra" style game I think it's done extraordinarily well -- both on the programming and the art end.  I get a little frustrated when the mouse wanders outside of the Flash movie, but other than that it's a kick ass game with good controls.

On a side note to all you pixel artists/programmers looking to recruit people for projects... seeing one level from a game like this is a great way to spur interest. It shows your dedication to the project and to your craft. After playing a few levels I would love to work with DayDream on a project.

DayDream (Level 4 Deputy) @ 6/22/2005 07:11
 Istvan - check the miniclip forum on HA3 there is heaps of guys who finished it - I am not one of them... suck at playing action games... :)

Brian - mockup is a "faked" screenshot - you put your artwork together the way it would look in the game...

Wolverine - HA was never a typical platform shooter, with limited shot directions and levels ending with endbosses. HA2 had one infinte level and HA3 just introduced 4 different scenarios before you enter the x-zone which again is an infinite level... And comparing a free web game to full on console or arcade productions doesn't work... HA3 was done by 1 coder and 1 artist in their sparetime...

sedgemonkey - thanks... glad you like it... :)

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/22/2005 00:58
Anyone finished the game?

Brian the Great (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/18/2005 09:44
 I thought a mockup was a screenshot? I just did sprites.

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/18/2005 09:37
 Brian, what about the army Chickens and the army Penguins! Don't make me link to your gallery.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 6/18/2005 06:01
Sorry man, as much as I love platform shooters,  I personally didn't enjoy this one.  Artworks good but just lacks imagination.  Gameplay got pretty dull for me after a while. Also I despise mouse aiming in a 2D game.  If I'm playing a 2D platform shooter I wanna sit back with my joypad and get comfy.  Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug and Contra never needed mouse controls.  Gimme a big full screen blast fest with at least 2 players on one machine and I'm happy.  Which reminds me, Gunstar Super Heroes is out on GBA soon.  Anyways yeah good game and I'm glad other people enjoy it but not for me.

Saboteur (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 6/18/2005 02:22
Mwahaha, forgot to check the news... and posted in the forums. Sorry!

Brian the Great (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/18/2005 00:51
Penguin game mockup? I didn't do any mockup with penguins. I did one with bulldogs and a raccoon, and the Pixeljoint room with penguins.
Besides, this art is waaay better than I can do.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 6/17/2005 16:10
oh duh... my bad - I don't read so well today

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/17/2005 16:00
 Nono, this is by DayDream! Brian was doing that Penguin game mockup.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 6/17/2005 11:53
isn't this from Brian the Great? Game look sfun cept the mouse controls thing sucks for me

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/17/2005 11:13
Oh well of course! DayDream posted this news article. Indeed, very good pixel art and a very nice game. Can't wait for school to start so I can start playing it every day!

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/17/2005 11:07
 Who did the pixel art for this game? Wasn't it one of Pixel Joint's members?

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/17/2005 09:02

Excellent freaking game. Every bit of the pixel art and game design is flawless.  Extra props for the handy tutorial.

One minor problem I had while playing was that when I kept moving my mouse outside the Flash movie while firing away and I would open all sorts of links.

This Week's Pixel Art

Fight Gal icon/pixelartSoda Walking icon/pixelartCastle icon/pixelartRoboCop icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app