Design changes

icon

You may have noticed that a few things have changed on the pixel art detail page and I'm sure some people will have some gripes.

We had several requests to expand the space around the pixel art so larger pieces have more room to breathe.  The "Actions", the ratings and the zoom buttons all stick out more now and we gave more room for the description/details in the process. We even had some room for the "small file" which was an oft requested feature.  There's still some design bugs and cleanup to work out, but this IS the new detail page for the time being so tough titties to all you naysayers.

We also cleaned up  the url for the pixel art.  Instead of...
we now have...

Another note: 1ucas had a great suggestion that we rotate the front page featured "Hall of Fame" with 5 random top 100 pics. I think it's much better this way.

If you do have suggestions for how to improve the design please post in the forum or respond to this news item if you prefer.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 7/13/2005 20:47  |    23

Discussion

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/17/2005 23:19

Sorry, that was changed to the "Browse the Gallery" link.  Need to give that more attention to that. I don't think most people know that function even exists.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 7/17/2005 19:39
What happened to the "more pixel art button"?  I liked it because I could return to my spot in the gallery after posting a comment.

ryan-gfx @ 7/15/2005 20:43
I dont really like the new grey changes for the forum cells. I think it looked better white. This probably isn't one of the changes you stated, but, still :)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/15/2005 10:06
I always shoot for the majority which has been Internet Explorer for a long time. I check Firefox occassionally and I used to check Netscape/Opera/Safari, but I gave up on that just because I don't have the time for it.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/15/2005 10:06
Reply to comments is a good idea, btw.  I'll make a mental note to add that.

zachriel (Level 1 Depressed) @ 7/15/2005 04:13
Luckily I just got to this place a few days ago (I know it says march, but I must've created the account and forgot about it..) so I noticed how incredibly hard it was to watch a piece. It was so pushed away because of the text and all being too close. I love this new layout, where the piece gets its deserved amount of privacy

One thing I miss though, is the possibility to reply to comments. Maybe I just don't see the "reply" button, but to me it seems you have to comment on your own piece which means the one you're replying to won't notice you replied.

And just a tiny question: what browser are you coding this place for? And what browsers do you test it in (if you have more than the "main" one)?

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/14/2005 08:16
If you have login issues try clearing your cookies and if that doesn't work you can send me a PM...  be as specific as possible.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 7/14/2005 08:00
It's great and all, but my computer still won't let me log in to the forum....

Monstara (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/14/2005 02:29
 Doh! I'm really sorry for the last post. I just realized the functionality of the main menu.
Well a n00b I am :)

Monstara (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/14/2005 02:11
I have one question/request: there *isn't* a link to one's own profile from the main page, right? Sometimes I want to access my profile from the main page, and I have to, say, click on a pixel piece, and from *there* there is a link.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/14/2005 01:04

I'll work on that tomorrow for sure.

finite (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 7/14/2005 01:00
 Nice work. One suggestion though... after you edit a pixel piece, it takes you back to the main page. Would be more useful if it either took you back to the page you were previously on, or your gallery. I was editing a lot of pieces (to change the colour count) and this became a bit annoying. ;)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/14/2005 00:47
Heh yeah.  The comment thing was a silly bug I overlooked. Sorry

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 7/14/2005 00:43
 Ok, X that, it isn't doing it now...  So I guess you were screwing around with the code, eh?

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 7/14/2005 00:42
 I personally love the new layout.  I like simplicity and easy to find buttons, which this new one is.

I don't know if you just changed something, but now I get 404 errors when trying to view any pixel piece...

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/14/2005 00:37

The random pixels only change when admins go in and hit a button.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/14/2005 00:35
Yeah, the comment bug should be good now.  I have no idea why you are getting login problems though.   Try leaving the site and clearing your cookies and trying again.  If you still have issues PM me or post in the Resources and Support section of forum.

DarkAuron (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 7/14/2005 00:01
 Uhhhh. Now I suddenly have more problems. Sometimes while browsing I'm suddenly not logged in anymore, and I have to log back in, and when I tried posting a comment here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/4624.htm, it gave a 404 page, so I tried posting the comment again (I tend to reword things when I retype them, eh) and it did the same thing again, but then the comment box disappeared so I hit refresh and bam, both my comments were there and the comment box was gone again. Arrgh. Sorry for double commenting...

DarkAuron (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 7/13/2005 23:54
Well, I kinda like the new changes, however I still keep randomly getting the login error:
Error: Invalid login/password combination.
TIP: User Name and Handle have been consolidated. Please use your 'Handle' to login.

I opened up 3 tabs just now (I use firefox :D) and the first one had that error, the two after it didn't, so it seems to be random. I think you were having a problem with that though. Just wanted to let ya know..

Saboteur (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/13/2005 23:32

The random top five change when? They've been the exact same every time I've gone on...

but hey! way to do even more work for us! Thanks, guys!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Coelacanth) @ 7/13/2005 21:02

That is a big pain in the ass.  I need to take a serious look at that sometime soon.  One of the things I want to make more obvious is the "More Pixel Art" button which will take you to the pixel browser with your saved settings.  So if you are on page 10 of new icons it will take you right back there.

Garage Inc. (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/13/2005 20:59

(Forgot to add this in my last post.)

Something else that needs to be fixed is the double back button click to have to go back to the last page. For example, say your looking at a pixel piece, and you go to click the back button, you have to click it twice. I'm sure everyone notices it, but i'm not sure if you know how to fix it. (Not saying you don't have the skill or knowledge, it's just, I think I remember reading somewhere that you said you didn't know what caused it.)

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Garage Inc. (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/13/2005 20:56

I like the new...things. It will take a littel while to get used to, but in the end, it will probobly make the site much better.

Geat job.

This Week's Pixel Art

Tort icon/pixelartCotton Candy! icon/pixelartEarwig icon/pixelartEnchanted Forest icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app