50 Greatest Indie Films

icon
What exactly makes a movie an "independent film"?  I'm not exactly sure, but the peeps over at Empire Online seem to know.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 11/10/2005 11:25  |    5 | Source

Discussion

grave (Level 8 Marshal) @ 11/12/2005 05:37

all the movies on that list that i have seen (almost half of them) deserves to be on there.

however i am dissapointed that there were no ray harryhausen movies on it. hes the guy who has inspired thousands of monster movies with stop motion effects since the 50ties.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 11/10/2005 19:43

Totally forgot about City of God -- really one of the best flicks.

Terminator is a werid one.  Hard to believe an indie flick can have such good special effects (they're not the best compared to CGI today, but they're not too bad either).

halfliquid (Level 1 Private) @ 11/10/2005 15:49
So many sweet movies here! Some of my favorites that made that list are Reservoir Dogs, Donnie Darko, Being John...,  TCM and Cube. I'm soon to watch City of God, which I hear is pretty fly.

Great link, I must say.

(I didn't know Terminator was indie either!)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 11/10/2005 14:25

Those are pretty much my faves of the lot too except for Cube which I haven't seen yet (I put it in my queue).  The Terminator, The Usual Suspect, Swingers and Shallow Grave are my top picks. Shallow Grave was such a pleasant suprise... it really works the dark humor angle brilliantly.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 11/10/2005 13:35

An independant movie is one created without the assistance of a larger produciton company, such as Paramount, Fox, etc. Some movies, after they are made, will get signed to a production company and showcased in true hollywood style. Most of the time, an independant movie will have a limited budget while other times, a big time producer will put up alot of money in order to create a film they think is worth it.

Some of my faves showcased on that site are: Swingers, Cube (made in Canada!), El Mariachi, Shallow Grave, Blood Simple, Memento, The Usual Suspects, Night of the Living Dead, and Reservoir Dogs.

Did you notice that Terminator was an independant movie? Crazyness!

This Week's Pixel Art

Treasure keeper icon/pixelartThe great adventure of the Stone Age3 icon/pixelartDoughnut icon/pixelartTiny Dragons Test icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app