Pixel Art Challenge: Cut Scene

icon
From Equilibrix the winner of the 12 Days of Xmas comes this week's challenge.
Pixel your favourite scene from your favourite movie.

Palette limitations:
Movie from 40's or older - grayscale (max 12 colors)
Movie from 50's or newer - 12 colors

Canvas Size: Any
Animation: No
Isometric: No
Transparency: No

Posted by jalonso @ 1/21/2008 07:23  |    30

Discussion

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/27/2008 14:49
Yeah, I agree with Adam! But still I think that line art does not belong to the gallery..

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 1/27/2008 14:11

I think tracing and using line-art are different for a variety of reasons.  With line art all you get is a black outline - that's it.  With a photo you have so much more to use - colors, shading, texture.  It's all there for you to copy!   The temptation to copy more than you should exists when tracing, it doesn't with line art.

jamon (Level 10 Operative) @ 1/27/2008 10:57
I totaly agree with B.O.B ... who wants to practise go to forum or separate part that can be created on PJ!

It's just not OK!  lot of artist make big efforts to make something from scratch and original!

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/27/2008 05:33
I agree with B.O.B and I wouldn't approve pure linearts to be in the gallery. But I think that the colored version of this lineart is ok as long as the reference and credit to the author is given..

On the other side I'm not sure what to do with traced photos if the reference is given.. When it's not, it's pure stealing, but if it is.. well, I would probably allow them.. Then it's up to the community how they will react. Rating it lower is one of the ways :-)

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/27/2008 05:15
Yeah, as I said earlier, I didn't intend the challenge to be just "copy a ref pic from a movie". Maybe that should have been stressed in the rules, but now it's a bit late to do that, for that I'm sorry.. I didn't realize that so many submissions would be nearly traces..

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 1/27/2008 02:51
Well, I did my own version of a scene from a lovely hindi movie.(unfortunately I don't think many people have heard of it)

UMRAO JAAN!!! GO AND BUY IT NOW!!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! (Shameless promotion..)

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/26/2008 23:27
I still don't like traces OR lineart to be allowed on this gallery. Maybe in the forum, as when I see lineart, I want to think of it as a way practice with another style of lines, or what have you. But the galleries, I believe at least, should ONLY be your works, and nobody else's. But again, that's just my opinion, and has been since I've been around...

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/26/2008 18:22
This might be true for the most part but what about lineart made by others?
If you allow coloring other's lineart then tracing a ref (and saying so) seems for now ok.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/26/2008 18:04
yep, thought the same thing as adam.. mounts into a copying/tracing contest rather than a challenging challenge =/

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/26/2008 17:56
To be honest, I really don't think tracing should be allowed in the competition, OR in pixeljoint at all, for that matter. Don't think we're gaining anything by tracing a screenshot. Seems kind of silly.

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 1/26/2008 15:40
Seems like half the peeps are tracing on this one..  I guess I could do that on mine since I'm not changing the scene much, but I want to challenge myself.

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/25/2008 08:06
Hehe, I didn't say WITH a dress, I said yellow bastard OR a red dress in otherwise grayscale picture :-) But it actually sounds fun

Krysis (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 1/25/2008 06:29
Did someone say yellow bastard in a red dress? now that sounds fun.

countach (Level 2 Petty Officer) @ 1/23/2008 02:28
I'm making a scene from a film that uses some GCI, but all shots are from real, so it's not animation.

MashPotato (Level 7 Underboss) @ 1/21/2008 18:06
Umrao Jaan would make a beautiful pixel, go for it!

I hope I can join in this one...

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 1/21/2008 15:46
Man...I really hope I have time for this one (I'm getting fed up having to squeeze out last minute pixels before bedtime >:(

I'm really feeling my bollywood movies...Taal or Umrao Jaan....

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/21/2008 15:45
Well, I think if you use the odd color as well as the grayscale, then it's ok (e.g. scene from Sin City in grayscale with the Yellow bastard or with a red dress). But the odd color must be included...

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/21/2008 15:36
Is it ok to do a film like Sin City or Schindler's List which are modern but use the black and white (with only the odd bits of color) as part of their distinctive look?

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/21/2008 15:32
I'm sure the mods don't want to check every movie whether it was grayscale or not, it's always easier for them to check only the year when the movie was shot (if there are any doubts). So I would follow the rules as they are now; that means movies shot before 1950 should be grayscale only and 1950 - 2008 in color. So if you choose a movie after 1950 and it's originally grayscale, you have to make it in color :-)

I think we should keep it simple, right Jal? :-)

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 1/21/2008 15:26
Arggh. All the movies are like are past the 1950s

But a 12 color limitation I don't like. I'll have to go movie scouting now

Feron (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/21/2008 13:01
I'm doing fightclub or the matrix i think...

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/21/2008 12:18
Monochomatic maybe? Say browny greyscale is a loop, hmmmm.
We'll need Equilibrix on that.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/21/2008 12:18
hey, did we skip my challenge? ToT

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 1/21/2008 11:52
If it was made after 1950 can it still be grayscale or does it have to have color?

Cool challenge BTW :D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/21/2008 11:03
Oh ink,
So glad to see your using that sense of humor you got for xmas.

inkspot (Level 4 Button Man) @ 1/21/2008 10:42
Is p0rn allowed?

soda (Level 10 President) @ 1/21/2008 09:29
Will this be the second challenge to support The Warriors, I might possibly do that.

Mille (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 1/21/2008 08:16
Clockwork Orange is way to classic... er... Pulp Fiction too...  and Poultrygeist isnt classic enough...

Equilibrix (Level 5 Captain) @ 1/21/2008 07:39
Thanks!

I have a movie scene too, but don't know if I'll have the time to participate.. Hope I will :-)
Good luck to everyone!

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/21/2008 07:33
First post, suckaz!

I got about 3 movies I'd wanna do, but it's a hard choice. Probably might take me about 3 days to decide. I'm not gonna' name 'em, though, as I don't want them taken.(great idea, by the way!)

This Week's Pixel Art

Goliath 001 icon/pixelartuseless machine icon/pixelartselfie icon/pixelartWell icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app