Pixel Art Challenge: Plants have feelings too!

icon
Aren't you tired of all those vegetarians eating those poor veggies, and fruits. "How many plants had to die for your salad, you heartless bastards!!!"

This challenge consists of casting life into any plant of your choice. The plant chosen can be depicted as some sort of humanoid, or alien-esque creature. The point is to depict them filled with as much emotion as a human is capable of (yes, it is known that plants are alive, just not in the common man's eyes), with an attached emotion or sub-emotion, such as anger, sadness, humor, confusion, etc....

Example: Pixel a Rose who resembles a woman that is dancing (excitement, romance), a giant redwood tree-beast/barbarian that terrorizes lands (anger), or a Bonsai Tree who is meditating over a sunset (tranquility, calmness), etc...

Rules:
  • Colors: No restrictions, but don't be silly.
  • Canvas Size: 200 x 200 max.
  • Transparency: allowed (www.iaza.com or giffy.com is your friend, children)
  • Animation: If you're a glutton for pain, then sure, It's allowed.
  • Can be a single character, or character in a scene, as long as the plant creature is the focus of attention.
  • There must be a banner,sign, or caption anywhere in the piece that indicates the feeling the plant is emoting.
  • Fruits and vegetables can't be used by themselves as the centerpiece. However the plant or tree from which they derive from can.
  • Plants must be an actual plant of this planet,  with species in the description (any real life plant or shrubbery is fair game.). NO fictional crap.

Tips: Wikipedia.org is a good reference.

Challenge by B.O.B. winner of B.O.B Challenge a.k.a Mr.Vain

Posted by jalonso @ 5/26/2008 09:29  |    23

Discussion

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/31/2008 21:01
yes, "doubt" is fine.

dreamgirl (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/31/2008 09:17
is 'to be doubtful' or 'doubt' ok to enter? i'm dutch and my english is not so great...

MashPotato (Level 7 Underboss) @ 5/30/2008 12:36
Gah, such a good topic in a week I was away!  I hope I'll still be able to finish something...

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 5/29/2008 16:15
Did not read that. But still I stand by my point (and of course it's my opinion, durr :P) B.. Boe' man?

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/29/2008 14:48
I've already stated my reasons for choosing these rules, in my response to Skamacore's post below. If you've already read it, then that's your opinion in the matter, and I can't change it, Ptoe' man...

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 5/29/2008 13:39
Nice challenge, but this, "There must be a banner,sign, or caption anywhere in the piece that indicates the feeling the plant is emoting." is retarded, sorry. Show, don't tell and all.

Arachne (Level 4 Murderer) @ 5/28/2008 03:12
Why the text, though? The entries I've seen so far haven't been obscure enough to need one, and if there's no description to rely on, the emotion would have to be clear enough on its own, right?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/27/2008 23:45
If it's still technically a plant, I won't fight you over it. I'd rather it be more plant like, for the sake of using more of your imagination, as fruits and veggies tend to be easier for us to recognize as human shapes and forms, as they are more rounder, and geometric, by nature. Whereas plants, come in all strange shapes and sizes; some even look like alien life forms, if dug further into the Plant kingdom.

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/27/2008 23:41
What about carrot(s) including greenery so it's the whole plant?

Disgustipated is naturally the first thing I thought of on reading this.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/27/2008 08:16
It IS a long list of rules, hope it wont be a big disaster like the fictional sport challenge...
ANyway I can imagine some cool stuff being made for this challenge (probably not by me tho)

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/27/2008 08:05
   Yes, Ska, I can see where you're coming from. When first creating the challenge and coming up with ideas, I actually first wanted it just to be the plant itself as the subject matter displaying the emotion, with no text. However, there's already tons of stuff like that here, and I know plenty of people are capable of it. So I wanted a more design oriented challenge, where text, subject matter, and the piece itself, are all made to work with each other, like an advertisement in a magazine, and what not. So the idea isn't purely ignorant...just slightly.

Any ways, enough with the talking. Get to pixeling.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/27/2008 07:10
erk, well it just seemed counter intuitive to have a sign written somewhere displaying what emotion was used. It kinda seems more logical to let the emotion show through the character's expression/ body language....blah blah blah etc...

whatever....this challenge sucks is awesome is by B.O.B. winner of B.O.B Challenge a.k.a Mr.Vain

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/27/2008 06:45
   Ain't nothing confusing about it: pixel a plant that displays some type of known human emotion, and place a caption or text in the piece somewhere depicting what emotion it is. I want it just to be some form of Plant or shrubbery, because the fruit/veggie idea was done on a previous challenge. If there are no such things as a purple tree in real life, then it's a foul ball. If the tree is purple due to it's costume, or lighting around it, then it's fine.
   Seriously, guys, you gotta' stop trying to bend rules to fit what you want to do. They are there for a reason, so it can help you get out of your comfort zone. While more people are on the technical side with rules, I'm more so focused on the design side.

Do it, to it, people!

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/27/2008 06:30
Kingdom: Plantae
Those are your restrictions for subject matter.

purpletree (Level 6 Manager) @ 5/27/2008 00:51
hmm is funky a feeling?

if not i'm going to do a purple pine tree, purple feelings, emotions, e.g. Royalty, wealth, creativity, magic, wisdom

if i do a purple pine tree will it have to be the real colours or could it be purple??

because it says

Plants must be an actual plant of this planet, with species in the description (any real life plant or shrubbery is fair game.). NO fictional crap.

i'm really confused now

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 5/26/2008 21:44
Any kind of plant lar, from this planet(non-fictional). only mushrooms are not allowed(they aren't plants)

purpletree (Level 6 Manager) @ 5/26/2008 18:21
trees you say

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/26/2008 17:57
I LOVE THIS.
And wow other people do too.
Should be a good roundup.

WAAAAAIT a minute is it trees and bushes only? Thats sortof lame. Although i guess not so bad, it is a challenge after all.

purpletree (Level 6 Manager) @ 5/26/2008 14:58

agreed best challenge , i have a very good idea..... (heheheh)

leel (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/26/2008 14:11
Best. Challenge. Ever.

Stratto (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/26/2008 13:08
the banner sign or caption goes with the pixel art describing the emotion of the plant.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/26/2008 09:45
in b4 venus flytrap

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/26/2008 09:39
must be a banner, sign or caption or must not be a banner, sign or caption?

Anyway sounds a bit like the food warrior challenge. This is a good thing. It seems like this will get some great entries. :D

lol and no colour restrictions :P

This Week's Pixel Art

AdigunPolack's PrehISOria Original Tile Creation Recap icon/pixelartBlowback Skullman icon/pixelartMajora's Mask Remake icon/pixelartsomething abt space icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app