The GIMP 2.6 is out!

icon
The first of October finally came out the 2.6 version of the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).
This version offers several new features, user interface improvements and finally includes GEGL, a new generic graphic library that will provide support for 32bpc over the old 8bpc and future enhancement. This library is a milestone for the GIMP that makes it closer to the professional counterpart represented by Photoshop.
The interface, that has been harshly criticized by some users, has several enhancement: the application menu has been removed from the toolbox, a document windows will always be visible even with no image opened, and the floating tools windows will always be on top of the image window and cannot be obscured. Maybe these enhancement are still minimal but all this redesign is based on inputs from users and experts.
There are more improvements even on tools and options, but you can discover them downloading the latest version or even reading the official release notes.
Have fun!

Posted by Peach @ 10/2/2008 01:54  |    8

Discussion

RoboBOT (Level 7 Captain) @ 10/17/2008 11:42
I had GIMP 2.4.7, and I was a big fan, but so far I'm not impressed with this release. Specifically, the 'always on top' feature of the toolbox doesn't work when I select an image from the taskbar (it becomes obscured), and it also focuses on the wrong image window when I select one from the taskbar. Essentially it's broken, and I'm annoyed.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/12/2008 20:08
Photoshop fur teh w1n

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 10/10/2008 05:58
Yeah, I'm totally the biggest linux hater ever. I don't like working with it AT ALL

The only linux versions I like are those made to look and feel like windows or macosx. I'll just stick to those instead of a fake running on something I don't care for...

Peach (Level 6 Made) @ 10/10/2008 01:38
well... I use it since I'm only running linux on my machine: with a little knowledge you can turn off aliasing and manage indexed colors very well. All my pieces are done with the GIMP, even if I really miss DP/artgem :(

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 10/5/2008 10:59
GIMP is useless for pixel art...

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/2/2008 18:05

I dunt like gimp.

But I'll prolly try it to see what's new.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/2/2008 14:12
sounds good! I will surely download it!
Not that I not like my illegal photoshop copy, I am just very pro pro open source stuff :) (and I did not like my old gimp because of its interface mostly..)

This Week's Pixel Art

Gaming in 2018 - Batch 2 icon/pixelartSusie icon/pixelartkmnz icon/pixelartMate icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app