Pixel Art Challenge: Show Yo Emoness

icon
FrostPumpkin challenges you to pixel an abstract feeling or emotion.
It can be anything, an abstract work, an allegory, just show your emotional nature by pixeling an abstract feeling or emotion.

Rules:
Canvas Size: Minimum 100x100
Colors : 16 colors max but you can't use any grey or neutralizers
Transparency : none
Animation : allowed

Posted by jalonso @ 10/6/2008 06:12  |    21

Discussion

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/12/2008 20:07
Yup, no smaller. We like to use use fancy words to make the challenge as confusing as possible.

-Working on my last second entry-

Haru-D (Level 1 Thug) @ 10/11/2008 23:18
Can somebody please remove my piece from the Challenge?

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 10/11/2008 11:35
minimum 100*100 sounds just as normal as no smaller then 100*100 to me.

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 10/10/2008 09:32
I asume that "Canvas Size: Minimum 100x100 "means no smaller than 100x100?Just seems a bit wierd thats all.

chess (Level 8 Shodan) @ 10/9/2008 12:18
i could submit my whole gallery to that challenge :D

pixelaro (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/8/2008 11:24
Just I who read maximum 100x100? :x Oh and an official clarification on the no greys /neutralizers would have been nice. Of the wips in the thread just one uses colours with 100% saturation so I'm kinda wondering if its a point in doing so myself.

Rooster (Level 5 Captain) @ 10/8/2008 09:53
Hmm... I have idea.... But I don't know, if I'll finish it. Bless ;)

Kamushi666 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/7/2008 12:44
Hehe nice Challange, my pixelart has been ended xD

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/7/2008 12:30

Raytheon (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 10/7/2008 05:48
honour system you gentlemen (jalonso edit)

you should be able to go up to 99% saturation but that will just make you an asshole who wants to try and bypass the rules and less people will vote for you

simple, no?

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/6/2008 20:02
I see whatcha sayin.

I think the description confused me more lol, it should just say  pixel ur feelinz lolz.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 10/6/2008 19:25
this type of color restriction is nonsensical in terms of color theory, but i suppose it's part of the challenege and from there it will go...

for the record, there is no such thing as a neutralizing "color", only a color that is used to neutralize through application.  neon can be a neutralizer and perfect middle gray can be a polarizer, it's all in how and where they are used.  That's why the rule is a shady one.

The way i interpret it reads "no gray or NEUTRAL colors (like slate, sage, beige, pearl, etc - low saturation colors)."

also lol at 'abstract feeling' because this implies that there are concrete or tangible feelings.  silly.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/6/2008 17:48
I think the point is to keep your colors expressive rather than muted and dull.  But what if the feeling is melancholy?  : O
Abstract means exactly that.  Feelings are in themselves abstract.  If it said pixel a table and you made a table, that'd be concrete. Since emotions aren't tangible things, you'll have to pixel an image that conveys the emotion.  When you look at the image, the feeling of "sadness" or "happiness" or the like should be conveyed.  This means not pixelling a smile or a frown or the word "SAD".

Less whining, thanks.  e.g. "I want this/that"

hotnikkelz (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/6/2008 14:05
i'm with skeddles, confused as hell. What is a neutralizer and what is an 'abstract' feeling?

BlackDragon (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/6/2008 13:48

Yeah, complimentary colors (inverse) can appear grey if you dither them 50/50.

So: What constitutes a color(s) as neutralizers? And does having "neutralizers" or greys add to the challenge?

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/6/2008 13:37
What do you mean abstract feeling or emotion.

What's a neutralizer? Can I use black and white.

BTW, the palette limits are annoying, especially on a piece like this. I want unlimited.

I dislike how the challenges winners are decided. I think there should be a certain group of people who decided, or have weighting scoring somehow. Oh, and make it so you can't vote for yourself.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/6/2008 10:30
well a rule like 'no neutralisers' isn't something that should be open to interpretation. It just makes the rule useless. It could potentially mean anything from 0% saturation to 99% saturation. IMO challenge restrictions (Canvas, Colours, Trans, Animation) should be unambiguous.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/6/2008 07:32
I was honestly thinking of a challenge like this.

I'd say don't go lower than 50% saturation

You guys gotta make these challenges tard-proof. Though I guess they are supposed to be upt to interpretation.

pixelaro (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/6/2008 07:27
Only way i can see it is that they mean no grey use whatsover, as in 100% satureted colors.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/6/2008 06:23
Which colours are considered "neutralizers"?

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/6/2008 06:22

"you cannot use any grey"..

pixel-advocates know ask themselves whether a 192-192-193 is still tolerated or not. any defined range for your 'neutralizers'?

This Week's Pixel Art

kmnz icon/pixelartCheif donald icon/pixelartJelly icon/pixelartJump animation icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app