Pixel Art Challenge: Isometric Item

icon
ceddo challenges you to pixel a single isometric household item of your choice, drawn using fantasy/steampunk/sci-fi theme. Can be a lamp, phone, anything (no specific scale). Can be anything as long as it could have a household use.

Rules:
Canvas Size - Any
Colors - Use what you need
Transparency - Allowed
Animation - Allowed

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 10/20/2008 08:15  |    21

Discussion

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/25/2008 20:59
Such a great point Dusty.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 10/25/2008 14:31
Eh... my problem is what defines an isometric object? If I pixel a lamp, how will it really look any more iso on an iso background than on a regular 3/4 perspective? It's hard to consider an item isometric if it's isn't constructed with of a defining blocky design.

Raytheon (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 10/25/2008 13:17
oops forgot about this

pixelaro (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/24/2008 16:04
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I haven't denied that it takes as much pixeling skill as anything else. I'm just stating that to me, it feels unnatural and rigid, aka not fun. I won't really say i struggle with it, not compared to how i struggle with real perspective at least. It just takes time.
Manwasher looks nice, I guess you awoid a lot of the tedious line drawings by working so small and having the object not being made out of cubes, one thing  I've sinned rather majorly against myself, Eboy inspiration I guess, ohwell.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 10/24/2008 13:53
the fact that you struggle with something does not mean it's rigid, you can do almost anything you like.  the fact that you aren't getting it doesn't mean it's senseless, iso is built from the ground up on logic.  the fact that you spent hours on construction doesn't mean you needed to.  the fact that real perspective can (and often does not) look better than axonometric projections does not mean that proper perspective can be achieved in a sprite engine.

I really want to stress that iso changes little or nothing.  In fact, most square-based is almost identical in perspective, you just aren't rotating the same degrees

just to make a point, i limited myself to exactly 20 minutes of sketching time to lay out my Patented Machinical Manwasher.  Nobody can argue that it is not pure 2:1 or that 20 minutes is too long to spend constructing.

pixelaro (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/23/2008 03:19
I think the problem is that you have to be constantly fighting with rigid limitations that make no sense. Its possible to make it look good, hell great even, its just that its a fucking pain and it would almost always have looked better if it was drawn in a real perspective.
On the challenge, I don't really have time for this but i couldn't help myself. :(
It's turning out pretty well even though the construction phase really has me sick and tired of it already.
Hope for some good entries by all so i can motivate myself to finish it.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/22/2008 15:01
It is what you make it, just because lame copypaste eboy bullshit is the most prominent doesnt mean iso as a whole has to subscribe to those limitations.
Adarias tackled the counterargument pretty well, not much of significance to add.

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 10/21/2008 03:30

I really like iso,even though i've only draw a few iso pieces(about 6-ish)i find the angle very intresting,because its three dimensional,yet not affected by depth.

Also stempunk is ruddy awsome!Im entering this.

DJD (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/20/2008 21:23
I'm a fan of iso, I just don't like doing it (and I respect it) for how much of a chore it is. You really have to keep your wits about you to maintain the perspective and keep all the lighting and depth correct. The work is stunning when it's done, and I think is ultimately more appealing than the same style/image converted to platform, but I don't like to settle into it for the type of work skeddles and adarias mention hating. Just typing isometric into the search brings up a bunch of awesome, clever pieces-but the most famous ones are often the poppy shit adarias described. Iso just gots itself a bad rap. I think the problem is iso is already hard so people do 'lineart' styled stuff to get down the basics; I know I'd have to do some of that EBoy crap before I could ever attempt the detail Jalonso or others put into their works.

who knows though, a 4 day weekend might actually give me a shot of making a submittable piece for once. G'luck to the participants!

Cheshire (Level 1 Intern) @ 10/20/2008 20:34
Good examples of steampunk you can find in books. Just add imagination to picture them.
Jules Verne rules. But if you are looking for modern steampunk - "Difference engine" is brightest.

Solitaire (Level 1 Depressed) @ 10/20/2008 19:25
Thought this said "Isometric Iran".

I'm disappointed.

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 10/20/2008 15:24
God Iso sucks :( :(

Sabata (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 10/20/2008 14:27
"it always seems like just lineart to me"

iso is a lot more about construction than art.

Its just rude from my point of view telling this... I mean that all great artist who make iso are not artist anymore, try doing iso for a change then speak...

Pukeko (Level 2 Dealer) @ 10/20/2008 13:04
Any good examples of steampunk for those of us who are uninitiated?

tripnfelt (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 10/20/2008 12:53
phew, I was worried it had some other meaning that I missed ^__^

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 10/20/2008 10:31
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/20669.htm - yup, NOTHING but lineart here. Not even art. anyone who thinks that iso changes anything but angle of view has been brainwashed by EBoy and similar filth. That's like saying "sideview seems more about copying than art" just because prince of persia and its spinoffs used rotoscope. [/rant]

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 10/20/2008 09:50
I don't know if i will do this... i need inspiration!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/20/2008 09:16
"iso is a lot more about construction than art."

schrumpfkopf (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 10/20/2008 09:08
my point skeddles. iso is a lot more about construction than art... i just do it if somebody is forcing me...

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/20/2008 08:25
I hate iso, it always seems like just lineart to me. Well, unless you actually shade and AA. Which I shall do.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/20/2008 08:17
hooray, was waiting for a challenge like this :3

This Week's Pixel Art

fitoria the filolial queen icon/pixelartB.Orchid ki1 cvs icon/pixelartarc icon/pixelartSelf Portrait May '19 icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app