Pixel Art Challenge: Character Mash-Up

icon

Challenge winner Calv challenges you to create a new video game character by melding two or more existing characters together. You can use any character from any game, but be as creative as possible. You can do it as a portrait, a sprite, a scene or however you want.

Some examples; Mario wearing Master Chief's outfit about to race in an F-Zero machine or Sonic mixed with Blanka.

Make sure you tell us who your characters are and what games they are from.

Canvas Size- Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 36.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 3/16/2009 00:26  |    28

Discussion

CrisNMP (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/22/2009 18:46

Finished, best challenge I participated in.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/20/2009 11:10

deadline is always sunday midnight , read the challenge thread ^^

neozerahan (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/20/2009 08:01

ok me a noob int this site....but when is the dead line and wat do u mean by sprites...{ this is embarsing}....

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/19/2009 02:34

I'm totally in this one =)! Love spriting

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 3/18/2009 05:56

I'm not sure if we're meaning exactly the same thing, I'm turning two characters from a very old game into one. Using the base lines of the other character and clothing from the other. Hand doing the animation by watching the games. Will this get me banned (from the challenge)? :s

I'm also enlarging the base characters lines a bit. But no, I'm not using any sprite I found on the internet.

If I'll pm you the WIP, could you check it out and say if it would be allowed?

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/18/2009 05:44

"If anyone is found using existing sprites and editing them for the challenge, they will be banned."

Sadly, you are going to have to change your idea I'm afraid, I don't want to see anyone at all being banned because of this challenge!

Remember you all have been warned about this.

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 3/18/2009 04:04

"EDIT: If anyone is found using existing sprites and editing them for the challenge, they will be banned. Tracing an existing sprite is also frowned upon and will be considered ripping."

Hmm... I'm enlarging (by hand-pixeling), recoloring and editing some existing sprite atm. It probably will be frowned upon, but I'll tell all my sources, but this piece really can't show it's full potential without me doing what I'm doing :3

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 3/17/2009 14:57

Tomic, I've done the character, and I'm doing a loooong animation, I hope to get it ready on time. I'll PM you the wip :P

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/17/2009 07:48

i'd do a max in sam clothes, but this week will be too stressy to pixel something.

anyway, i'd like to see at least one character with commander keen helmet in this challenge. birthday wish. submit till friday! ;D

Calv (Level 7 Assassin) @ 3/17/2009 00:26

You don't have to use existing sprites, the idea was to take two or more characters from video games and be creative by mashing them into one, and at the same time putting your own style into it, thats why I made animation an option, thats why it can be a portrait a sprite a whole scene with many characters.  You can do the type of art that you feel comfortable with, just include some video game character mash ups.  Im sure you can all get very creative.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 3/16/2009 23:51

thats why you can always choose to not be part of the mass

RobbieE (Level 2 Petty Officer) @ 3/16/2009 22:41

I'd say its one of the more creative challenges it beats the standard use x palette and y theme we always have. There are so many different characters out there that the choices to create something unique and different are pretty huge.

The only uncreative thing about this is that I imagine most people will just use popular characters such as mario etc.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 3/16/2009 18:55

Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're NOT supposed to use existing sprites, and it doesn't have to be a sprite, anyway.

Slemsvamp (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 3/16/2009 17:45

It is a pity that we are limited. I mean, after all, we must use existing sprites, it's a bit irritating

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 3/16/2009 15:36

Dex is right to a point. But the challenge is to convey two pieces into one. How you choose to do so is your choice. If I entered this challenge I'd really go all out with my own view of how the character should look in the first place, while adding the charateristics from the other character.

Be original guys.

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/16/2009 14:10

hm. guess you got me there.

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 3/16/2009 12:46

It's going to be a difficult challenge... i'm waiting for a good idea.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 3/16/2009 12:46

there is no uncreative challenge, just uncreative entries.

Haru-D (Level 1 Thug) @ 3/16/2009 11:34

This is going to sound really stupid, but I noticed the EDIT, does that include scratching in the style you want to use?

Hysteria (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 3/16/2009 11:24

It's not original, but its fun to see sprites of our favorite games :)

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/16/2009 10:42

This is probably one of the most un-creative challenges we've had in a while...:/

I'll just wait for next weeks.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 3/16/2009 10:23

please reread the updated challenge rules, everybody :)

bonehead11 (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 3/16/2009 08:10

Can you make your own character? If not im going to skip this one.

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 3/16/2009 04:47

Darn, if I'd've read that earlier Metaru... :p

Exin (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/16/2009 04:39

What if the 8 bit machine can display more than 36 colors at once? ;-)

bricl (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/16/2009 04:26

rayman is going to be the hardest to fit it that list.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/16/2009 04:00

Mario+Jumpman+Baby Mario+Raccoon Mario+Fire Mario+Bee Mario+Dr. Mario+ Mini Mario+Mega Mario+Paper Mario+Metal Mario?

O.o stop changing your post...also, lol at L Block.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 3/16/2009 03:26

I personally challenge someone to mix the next ten characters in one:

1. Pulseman
  2. Commander Keen
  3. The marble from Marble Madness
  4. Boss Galaga from Galaga
  5. Marine from Starcraft
  6. Mice from Chu Chu Rocket
  7. The Purple Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle
  8. Gillian Seed From Snatcher
  9. The L block from Tetris
  10. Rayman

This Week's Pixel Art

Sci-fi gun icon/pixelartTifa Lockhart icon/pixelartThis War Has Gone on Long Enough icon/pixelartRoboCop icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app